What 'content' rating would you give the shows?

LeslitaKayita

We are first-time cruisers, and I was telling my husband that we may want to stay 'dressed up' after dinner for the shows. He commented that he had the impression the shows were Las Vegas-style productions or off-color comedy acts and the like, having the kind of language or content we wouldn't care for. I was surprised at his perception, as I was picturing singing and entertainment that would be family-friendly.

So I thought I better ask: what would you rate the shows on Carnival ships, using MPAA ratings just as a reference point? G, PG, PG-13, or R?

Or, is there a mix of content? If so, is there some kind of 'truth in labelling' for the shows so passengers can know what to expect?

Thanks!

On the ships we have been on the shows right after the dinner are usually Broadway style shows and for families and the only thing that might affect the rating is the clothing. On our first cruise my dh got to go up on stage with the female dancers during a number and the ladies were wearing thongs, this was clearly visible to the audience too. The midnight show is always rated R and the advertisement tells you this. As far as what to wear, people will stay dressed in there dinner clothes and people will go back and change into something else. you see all different types. Have a great time.

It is my perception that one man's hilarious joke is another man's vulgarity. What I might find tolerable, someone else might find offensive or vice-versa.

That said, I would say that on all the cruises I have been on, only once was there a comic at the theater show who was offensive and just plain mean-spirited. It is the only show I have ever walked out of on a ship.

Liberty had a comic who did a midnight show this week. His show was plainly labeled in Capers as "adult." I didn't go because I don't enjoy one vulgar joke after another.

On the two day cruise on Liberty, both theater shows were Las Vegas style dance and music reviews most decidedly family friendly...except the "Full Monty" dance which I found hilarious, but a family with an infant and a pre-schooler ran out of the theater as if it were on fire. That was actually funny to me also. I think their dramatic flight actually did more to confuse their pre-schooler than if they had stayed.

My advice would be to read the Capers and believe what they say. If they say a show or comic is "adult," believe them. They did a pretty good job in Capers of describing each night's show. The two shows I saw were G except the Full Monty dance which was PG. Kids see far worse on TV every day, even in advertisements such as Herbal Essences Body Wash ads.

Your greatest risk at a cruise ship show would be boredom, not disgust.

I would give the same rating as Pete. "G" for the two big production shows.

Yes, the female dancers wear thongs, BUT unless you're concentrating on their bee-hinds:rolleyes: , it's barely noticeable. The costumes have so many feathers and flowing materials, and the movement on stage is so fast......no biggie. It's not like they stand in one spot with their butts pointed toward the audience.:D As someone said, your kids see MUCH more skin in TV ads.

I think you would all enjoy the production shows, including your kiddies. The singing and dancing, the costumes and the music - really makes me leave there in an 'up' mode! I hope you'll go, and take the kids - all part of the fun of a Carnival cruise!

As for the shows on other evenings, the kids would probably enjoy the magicians, etc. Not my cuppa tea, nor are the R-rated late nighters.

As for the midnight "adults-only" shows, they make it *very* clear that the content may not be for everyone, and repeat this advisory *many* times before the show begins. You have ample advance warning to leave.

We are first-time cruisers, and I was telling my husband that we may want to stay 'dressed up' after dinner for the shows. He commented that he had the impression the shows were Las Vegas-style productions or off-color comedy acts and the like, having the kind of language or content we wouldn't care for. I was surprised at his perception, as I was picturing singing and entertainment that would be family-friendly.

So I thought I better ask: what would you rate the shows on Carnival ships, using MPAA ratings just as a reference point? G, PG, PG-13, or R?

Or, is there a mix of content? If so, is there some kind of 'truth in labelling' for the shows so passengers can know what to expect?

Thanks!

Well my only input is that adult means adult. :rolleyes: Too many times I have seen children attending the late night comedy shows. The comedian usually does a show after dinner which is more family appropriate - which I think lures some parents into thinking that the late show will be similar. NOT!! :eek:

The big production numbers on formal nights are musical shows with very elaborate costumes. I would say that most cruisers look forward to those shows and find them enjoyable regardless of age. Other shows throughout the week vary - depending on ship and itinerary - so look at the Capers and ask about the content of the show before you go, if you are still concerned.

I am confident that there are some that you will enjoy :p

We only went to the main shows but the only thing about them that I would not consider to be a "G" rating was the thongs that the girls wore. Camp Carnival even takes the kids to these shows and my DD was with them. I didn't see anything that that I considered to be inappropriate for children.

The Broadway type shows on the Liberty we pretty good except for the volume from the sound system. Take your ear plugs. They said it was about 80 decibles, but it was actually around 90 something. REALLLLLY loud. The rest of the shows on our transatlantic were pretty lame.

:rolleyes: :(

On our two Conquest cruises I was with groups that made me very aware of

the costuming in the show. Both had people who commented on the thongs. I noticed on our most recent cruise on the Sensation, the thongs were not

as much in evidence, it almost appeared as if little "skirts" or ruffles had been

sewn along the back.

As the previous posters stated, the content is fine for family during those

shows not specifically posted as "adult".

there was NO Broadway style show...

all were Las Vegas style shows...

NONE of them would I rate at G, but I would say there were PG to PG13.

The women wore thongs and very skimpy outfits and were certainly not child friendly...

the Comedy show (we had Phat Cat) was ok, but even it had some questionable parts...

I did find the Magic Show (Deja) pretty good, and the magic outshined the Couquest Dancers rear ends...

Yes..the midnight shows are definitley rated R....(I did not attend any.)

Yes, every person has a different view of it, and others may disagree with me.

JB

Archived