Los Angeles

Iamsailing

My wife and i will be sailing into San Pedro on the Silver Shadow arriving about 07.00 hrs and will be flying out of Los Angeles to the U.K the next day around 16.00 hrs. What are the best options regarding hotels and transfers

we have never been to Los Angeles before so would like to see some highlights if we have time

Many thanks

Do you plan to rent a car? It is difficult to do anything in LA without one as public transportation is very poor, and cabs expensive due to the distances involved.

I would suggest taking a shuttle such as SuperShuttle to LAX and renting a car there. Plan to stay in a hotel near LAX as well. You can easily get just about anywhere on the freeways from LAX.

I can recommend the Getty Center if you are interested in art. Consider driving through Hollywood and stopping at Mann's Chinese Theater to see the hand and foot prints. Sunset Strip is pretty seedy. A walk on Venice Beach is fun, as is a drive up along the Malibu coast. Farmer's Market is a fun place to visit and have lunch. You could do all of this in 1 1/2 days.

Disneyland is further away, and would take at least a full day.

What we did last summer when we arrived in San Pedro (had done a Panama Canal crossing cruise)... I'd reserved a rental car at Enterprise which is the only car rental location directly at the San Pedro cruise terminal area and arranged a 1-way drop for the car at LAX ($25 charge for the drop at LAX). The Super Shuttle for 2 will cost you $36. Note: This Enterprise office is not open on Sunday and you do need to call the San Pedro office to make this sort of reservation as Enterprise does not do 1-way rentals over the internet.

We stayed at the Georgian Hotel on Ocean Blvd. in Santa Monica which is a 25 min. drive (IF VERY LIGHT TRAFFIC ---:)). It was just across from the Pacific Palisades park and a walk to the Santa Monica peir. We did the main sightseeing thing by going to the Getty Center and I was blown away by it (but then I'm also an arhcitectural tour guide in my home town and we, too, have a Richard Meier building). I'm really glad we went very early (as soon as they opened). Left there about 1pm which gave us time to do 2 separate tours of the Center. So I'd say you probably would have time to work that visit in before having to be back to LAX to catch your return flight.

Archived