Anyone ever book a hotel for the day on a 7am - 11pm port of call?

tuolumne couple

Two nights before we sail two after we disembark. Later afternoon flights before and after, will stay downtown on both legs, looks like lots to see and explore. The trolley will be useful to go between our lodging and other areas. Anything we might be missing?

You will not have access to a car?

We will be car free, just like on all those Caribbean islands. We do walk some miles on each island, so the same in Tampa.

Do go to the Aquarium, which is near the port. I have not been there in years but understand that there have been many innovations. Also, visit Ybor City and have lunch (not dinner) in the Columbia Restaurant's bar. It is a much more interesting room than the main dining room and makes for a lovely lunch. Columbia's Cuban sandwich is excellent. I find dinners at the Columbia to be primarily tourist driven.

There is always Busch Gardens, of course. And if there is a good film on at the Tampa Theater, it is worth it just to see the theater. The ceiling is built to look like the sky, complete with twinkling stars.

With the exception of Busch Gardens, everything else is within walking distance. I hope you enjoy our town.

There is an art museum downtown, although I have not been to the new one.

Do go to the Aquarium, which is near the port. I have not been there in years but understand that there have been many innovations. Also, visit Ybor City and have lunch (not dinner) in the Columbia Restaurant's bar. It is a much more interesting room than the main dining room and makes for a lovely lunch. Columbia's Cuban sandwich is excellent. I find dinners at the Columbia to be primarily tourist driven. There is always Busch Gardens, of course. And if there is a good film on at the Tampa Theater, it is worth it just to see the theater. The ceiling is built to look like the sky, complete with twinkling stars.

With the exception of Busch Gardens, everything else is within walking distance. I hope you enjoy our town.

There is an art museum downtown, although I have not been to the new one.

Thanks! Appreciate the tips! Looking forward to checking out Tampa! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

We have not done that yet either. I agree, we always book excursions through the ship and they never disappoint us. Point being we are there 7 am until 11 pm and what to do for our 16 hours? Excursions are only a couple of hours long, so we thought we would also get immersed into the culture by walking and seeing, going to a beach, snorkel, take a shower, use the hotel towels, go to lunch, head out again and see the port, the culture and the people , go back to the hotel and take a shower and get ready for dinner..and see what Curacao hospitality has to offer, with the convenience of a hotel on sea (cruise ship) and a hotel on the beach (directly on the beach). Seems like a fun idea, right?

Have never done it but think it's a great idea..:D If you do it, please come back & let us know how your day turned out..:cool: