Getting Upsells--How and when to get one?

Another ship trip

I sail on the NCL SUN in 6 days. Is this the time to call about an upsell? If so, what kind of price can one expect? Obviously it would need to be less than retail; otherwise I would have paid for the bigger room to begin with. Who has done this before and what number at NCL do you call? Are there any tips I should know before calling? Thanks!

Re: Upselling

NCL will only talk to you directly if you booked with them - as opposed to booking through a website or travel agent. If you did book through an agent, call her/him asap and tell them that you are interested in an upsell. They will have to contact NCL and work out the details.

If you booked directly with NCL, you can call the Upsell desk (1-800-625-4309) and tell them of your interest. You will need your reservation number.

Be nice to whoever you call!!!

I think they start doing upsells 2 weeks before the date of cruise, so you still may have a good chance. GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us posted.

I sail on the NCL SUN in 6 days. Is this the time to call about an upsell? If so, what kind of price can one expect? Obviously it would need to be less than retail; otherwise I would have paid for the bigger room to begin with. Who has done this before and what number at NCL do you call? Are there any tips I should know before calling? Thanks!

Call Now - only cabins open are an AE and an AF

Just bear in mind that the maximum number of cabins you will see available in any category is 6. If less than 6 are shown then that is the total number of cabins available in that category. If 6 are shown it could be any number that are available.

Thanks for the info! I called and turns out there were no AF but there was one AE and one Penthouse AD. I went ahead and "sprung" for the AD! Figure a full breakfast in the cabin on port mornings and butler, nice bathroom, champagne, etc would be worth it. Now for my next question: I was under the impression that the penthouse AD and above receive bar set up. Can anyone verify if that is the case? I know they get it in the Owner's and Romance for sure. Do they also get any kind of bottle of liquor in AC and AD? Any help appreciated!~

Thanks for the info! I called and turns out there were no AF but there was one AE and one Penthouse AD. I went ahead and "sprung" for the AD! Figure a full breakfast in the cabin on port mornings and butler, nice bathroom, champagne, etc would be worth it. Now for my next question: I was under the impression that the penthouse AD and above receive bar set up. Can anyone verify if that is the case? I know they get it in the Owner's and Romance for sure. Do they also get any kind of bottle of liquor in AC and AD? Any help appreciated!~

Owner's Suite only :( Which Ad did you get. I took an upsell last year to 8202 . Loved it.

I am going to be in 9001. Looks like the bathrooms in those are nice. What other amenities will I get in this suite besides the usual flowers, fruit, bathrobes, canapes? Am really looking forward to this room--especially with the next storm brewing out in the Carribean.

We may spend more time than I thought in the cabin if we have to play dodge the hurricane! The timeline looks to be about next Sunday to hit Belize and Roatan if the storm gains strength and tracks as it is currently projected. We need some cold weather and water to stop these tropical storms!

Re: Upselling

NCL will only talk to you directly if you booked with them - as opposed to booking through a website or travel agent. If you did book through an agent, call her/him asap and tell them that you are interested in an upsell. They will have to contact NCL and work out the details..

Not true, at least based on my experience. I booked our cruise on the Sun via an online travel agent. Three days before the cruise I called the NCL upsell desk and had no problem negotiating to upgrade from a mini-suite to a penthouse for $250.

We have an AF booked (4 of us). What do you all think are the chances of an upsell from AF to AB? I don't mind paying, just not retail. 3/26 Dawn Sailing

I did this in April thanks to the advice I got here on the boards:) Two weeks prior to our sailing in April there was an AB available. I had booked an AF through NCL so I called them up and was told very nicely that they would mark my file. An hour later they called me. We were two adults and one child. They charged us 250.00 per person for the adults only, that added to what we paid for the AF came out to less than half of the AB fare was.

Good Luck!!

I stand corrected - sorry!!! That's good to know....like everyone else, information given here is based on our experiences.

Also, if it weren't for these boards, I would still be in a BA cabin instead of an AC on my next cruise!!! THANKS fellow CCer's!!!

I'm sailing on the Jewel on 12/4. We originally had a mini-suite, but I called NCL and told them I was interested in an upsell. They told me to contact my travel agent, but that they would add me to a list of interested parties. I called my travel too, and later that same day, I was offered an upsell to a romance suite (only 4 on the whole ship) for $200 per person. Supposedly, the retail price is $400 per person. Since this is our 20th anniversary trip, we sprung! Can't wait!

CostaRiviera 11/87

NCL Leeward 11/85

RCI Sovereign 11/99

NCL Jewel 12/05

Just looked up my upcoming Jewel cruise and wondered what the Non-Comm fare shown is. Also' date=' saw the tax but no port charges. So, is the guest total the actual total? Would appreciate any help, as it looks like the price may have dropped since I booked.[/quote']

Tried to check the booking engine shows nothing available for the 4th right now. The simple way to check is click on the price when the open cat list shows up. I will give the details of what is in that single number.

For the 18th - I believe the same itinerary - it shows

NON-COMM FARE 140.00 140.00 280.00

GOVERNMENT TAX 87.57 87.57 175.14

CAn any one tell me what you get in the romance suite. Or if you have any pictures that would be great.

We are going on the Star on 1-20-06

Do we embarked onto the ship in a special line?

Do we have a bar set up?

Anything regarding this suite would be great, can't wait, nine weeks!!!!!

Cindy

Cindy:

We haven't sailed yet, but I'm told you get better linens and towels, bathrobes, room service at any time, from any restaurant, expanded breakfast room service (read hot food), priority embarkation, and butler and concierge service. I think we also get a bottle of champagne, flowers, and canapes upon embarkation. The room is a little bigger with a separate dining and living room area, and the bedroom is separated by a curtain. No 3rd or 4th bed (hence, "romance" suite). I think there are some photos of a romance suite somewhere on the NCL boards. If I'm wrong, soemone please correct me. I will post a review and photos when we get back.

For a sailing on March 5th, how early should I start to press for an upsale?

We have a bb and would love to go up. Our party of 3 does not make us eligible for some suites. Do we know which suites will accomodate 3 passengers? Thank you.

What do you do when your TA will only offer upgrades and not upsells?

I tried calling NCL and they told me to call my TA.

The TA is not taking the time to call NCL and flag your file for an upsell. Tell her to call and request that you are interested in an upsell (preferably what type of category). It may take a lot of calling depending on who is handling your cruise.

So should you start trying one month before or two weeks before? Seems that I've read both here.

Can you get upsells from BA into an Ax? Or is it most likely to happen within the same room type? (like from BE to BA or from AE to AB?)

Thanks!

I have tried twice about a month from sailing date and have been successful both times.

You can go from a BA to an AA. It's what's available and how much you're willing to pay for. I went from an AF to an AA this time. First I was offerd an AC and I asked about an AA and they made a deal for that one.

Happy Upselling,

Monty

Archived