Getting Upsells--How and when to get one?

Another ship trip

So should you start trying one month before or two weeks before? Seems that I've read both here.

Can you get upsells from BA into an Ax? Or is it most likely to happen within the same room type? (like from BE to BA or from AE to AB?)

Thanks!

If we are talking upsells and not free upgrades then:

Most likely BA to AX - The idea is to open up cabins in higher demand for last minute sale. It is all about maximizing revenue. The high priced suites are not the first choice of last minute bargain hunters.

Here is an example

You paid 2800 for your BA

They upsell you for $500 pp to an AC.

They upsell an cat M inside to your BA for $200 pp

They sell the M for 800 pp.

By moving you NCL picked up at least $3000. If Balconies are in demand that could just resell yours for 2800 again and pick up $3800.

Recent upsells for me - AF to Garden Villa, BA to AE, Cat H to AF, AF to AD

So should you start trying one month before or two weeks before? Seems that I've read both here.

Can you get upsells from BA into an Ax? Or is it most likely to happen within the same room type? (like from BE to BA or from AE to AB?)

Thanks!

I got an upsell from a BE to an AE.

This upsell thing has me really stumped. I sail on the 11/27 Sun and have been trying to get an upsell for the last 2 weeks. My TA is Travelocity (will NEVER go through them again!!!!) They've treated me like I'm trying to get something for nothing. I've called every day hoping to get an agent that could assist me. To no avail! I don't even think they are calling NCL. Think I'm just being put on hold (for up to an hour) to have an agent finally tell me that I'm part of a group and can't be bumped up? What group, its just me and my husband going on this cruise! I've talked to NCL on several occassions and was told there was plenty of upsells available but I had to go through my TA. Finally got an NCL agent a couple of days ago that, I think, was telling me the truth. Basically he said that I hadn't paid enough for my cruise to warrant an upgrade or upsell. Those are given to passengers that paid a higher amout. Granted I feel we got a decent deal on our trip but we booked it back in February. You mean to tell me I'm not entitled to PAY for a better cabin. What gives and why are TA's outwardly lieing to me face (or ear in this case)?

lilbit - essentially I'm going through the same thing and I'm PO'ed.

I continue to pester my TA though. I've been offered upgrades but they aren't calling NCL for the upsells (even though other people on our upcoming Sun cruise have secured great upsells just recently).

All we can do is try and if in the end we end up in the same cabin - so be it, I'll be happy just to be on the ship.

Spot - at least I'm not the only one going through this. Are you on the 11/27 Sun? My TA has accomplished what it wanted..I'm giving up on this upsell thing. Ruining my anticipation for the trip. For whatever reason, I guess its not meant to be but you can be sure I will learn some lessons on this subject prior to my next cruise. TA's - don't lie to your clients about these types of issues, tell us the truth, it will save both of us unnecessary aggrevation!!

Lilbit - we are on the 12/11 Sun cruise and currently in a Cat II (superior inside) and a handicapped cabin (we are not handicapped) and is 199 sq ft which isn't horrible for an inside when many of them are 147 sq ft. Anyway, I'm not asking for miracles here but I too feel that TA's should be willing to go the extra mile for every client and if there are upsells happening they should want to keep their clients happy and offer them whatever is out there (it isn't like it's free)!

I still have my TA working on this and if she pulls off what I think she might be able to then I will throw alot of business her way, otherwise it will be the last time I use her.

The bottom line is...............Regardless of the amount you paid initially for your cruise shouldn't make a difference on the bottom line amount of an upsell - if an upsell to an AC (for instance) has a bottom line price of say $1,100, it doesn't matter if you initially paid 400 or 700 for your cabin, the price is $1,100 (your savings or not, is with the amount you initially paid for your first cabin choice).

I certainly won't let cruising in my inside ruin my cruise, it will allow me to have lots more money for other things :).

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE (regardless of your cabin catagory)!!!

Dave - what I'm saying is this........

Initially bought an inside for 399 (offering upsells to AC for 1100), the difference would be 701 to pay.

If I paid 600 for the inside (upsell for 1100) the difference would be 500.

The bottom price for the upsold cabin at 1100 shouldn't be different just the amount I would have to pay (depending on my initial cost).

Am I still not understanding this????

I really do want to understand!

Thanks

Got the upsell offer for the sun cruise on 12/4 for a BE to a penthouse on the front of the ship for $350 per person. I think it was a fair deal only I have a back aft balcony I didn't want to give up so didn't take it. There were only 2 penthouses left on the cruise. I did mention to call me if they upsell someone else off the back maybe minisuite and I'll go for that... :) :) Unfortunately $700 is a lot for me now. By the way I booked direct with NCL. Had them mark my file as wanting an upsell about a week ago and did pay more for my BE cabin before prices went down... I did not get a good deal on the BE cabin but it is an aft cabin and I like it so that is all that matters. :D Debbie

No one seems to have figured out NCL's selection process of who is offered upsells and who is not. I've been told that there are many many factors including price you paid, when and how you booked (on-board or not), the ability of NCL to sell your cabin at the last minute, past cruiser or not, etc.

Good luck!!!

Initially bought an inside for 399 (offering upsells to AC for 1100), the difference would be 701 to pay.

The bottom price for the upsold cabin at 1100 shouldn't be different just the amount I would have to pay (depending on my initial cost).

Thanks

Deb

That would be a correct. But where the confusion comes in at is the price that they are going to call you with will have your initial price factored in. So what you are offered the cabin at will be different than someone else in a different cabin category. That is where the formula I posted comes in so that you know if you are getting a good deal or not. You would hate to get an upsell and find out you could have booked it cheaper on your own.

Dave

Thanks

Deb, if I am reading your message correctly, you are still confused. I'm going to attempt to illustrate a little more clearly for you, just in case I'm reading your message correctly.

I'll use completely hypothetical figures, but the idea should be clear.

AC is listed at $2,500

at Upsell time, they cut this in half = 1,250

You paid $500 for your current cabin

Upsell cost would be $750

Essentially, if you are lucky, you would end up paying a total of $1,250 per person for a cabin that originally sold for $2,500 per person. :D

The offer they extend will be IN ADDITION to what you've already paid.

I hope this makes some sense, and I apologize if you already understood, and I read your message incorrectly!

\ I'm just being put on hold (for up to an hour) to have an agent finally tell me that I'm part of a group and can't be bumped up? What group, its just me and my husband going on this cruise!

Occasionally a TA buys rooms ahead of time "as a group" to sell them to customers at discounts above and beyond the current room rates. This is probably what happened to you. Skyauction is another website that buys group space ahead of time. In the future book with a TA that is small enough where you can hold someone accountable, or better yet book directly with NCL. You may pay a little more ahead of time, but you will have much easier access to upsells.

Waldo & Pepper

That is what I understood, you just illustrated it in another way, thank you.

What I don't understand is this, how can they sell that cabin at upsell time for 1250 to one person and not to others (regardless of what they initially paid - 1250 is 1250, regardless of what you initially paid.).

I guess it all boils down to whether your TA is willing to tango with NCL.

Thanks Again!

We just gave up our BE for an AE this past week. Hoping for an upsell. Talked with NCL and they said they will probably start the upsell for 2006 the end of next week and if our TA doesn't get in touch with us, to call back. Wish me luck.

Waldo & Pepper

What I don't understand is this, how can they sell that cabin at upsell time for 1250 to one person and not to others (regardless of what they initially paid - 1250 is 1250, regardless of what you initially paid.).

Thanks Again!

It is all about total revenue for the cabin. If you paid $1000 already and then another $1250 they get $2250 total

If someone else pays $500 and they pay $1250 they only get $1750 total

Keep in mind this is just the start. When you cabin opens with the upsell they sell it again getting more $. It is all about maximizing revenue per passenger

Waldo & Pepper

Thanks Again!

Deb,

Also keep in mind that when your TA offers you the upsell, they also make a commission on it. Mine was willing to cut hers in half. So on a $300pp upsell, the TA's commission will be $50pp for a total of $100.

Dave

Archived