Miami Beach or Miami?

littlerusty

DH and I will be sailing on the Celebrity Equinox in July. We're flying into FLL late on a Thursday evening. Our ship sails on Sunday. We've never been to Miami before so we plan to spend Friday and Saturday exploring the area and relaxing before the cruise. We're wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hotels in Miami Beach? We'd probably take a bus tour of Miami on one of those days and then spend the other just puttering around and going to the pool / beach. As we are first-timers, would it be better for us to stay in Miami Beach or Miami? Which hotels would you recommend?

Also, we're planning to rent a car for a half day on Friday to drive from our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale on Friday morning to our hotel in Miami Beach or Miami, with some leisurely exploring along the way. Once we get there, we'll drop off the rental and won't have it again. We'll probably use an Uber to get to the port. Does this seem reasonable / practical?

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks, Ted

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your plan regarding rental car and uber is more than reasonable. Its a great plan really.

As for hotels, is there a particular budget? And if you want to spend time on the beach/ocean then Miami Beach is the best bet. Remember, Miami is not on the ocean and has no beaches, its only on the bay. There are plenty of nice hotels in the Downtown Miami and Brickell area with nice pools and views, but no beaches. Traveling between Downtown Miami/Miami Beach is easy via Uber and not expensive. Miami Beach hotels, I would focus my search on hotels east of Washington Ave, and south of 27ths street. Really at that time of year you should get some good deals, even on beach side hotels.

I've been researching this exact question. We decided on The Shelborne in South Beach. It was a 4.5 on trip advisor, good rate, good location, and it got good reviews. All depends on your budget. Luckily we were looking for a Sunday night stay. A Friday and Saturday night stay will definitely be more. We decided on the Collins Ave. part of South Beach due to Lincoln Street and all the action in that area. (Plus hotel is right on beach). North of this area is quieter. Have fun!