Medical emergency at sea

margaret10987

On our Disney cruise a couple of years ago we ended up diverting to Miami for a medical emergency going from Cozumel to their private island. It seems one of the crew had fallen while cleaning the deck in the morning and they decided to stop in Miami quick to take them off the ship. I have never seen so many people out on their balconies at 10:00 pm at night, mainly to make calls since we were back in the US. We got to Castaway Bay about 2 hours late, but was able to stay an extra hour.

I also did a trip on the Carnival Ecstasy where I got sicker than a dog. Went down to the medical doctor, she diagnosed me with strep and gave me some heavy antibiotics. They didn't quarantine me or anything, I think she could tell I was miserable and wouldn't be venturing out until things kicked in. So sent one of the sea days sleeping all day. Two days later when we got home my daughter got the diagnosis, and then a day later our traveling partner was diagnosed. The medical facility seemed very well stocked, it looked like it had 3 beds in it. No insurance, the visit cost $95.00, which you paid before you left the facility.

$95--heck that's cheaper than a visit at a Dr's office here at home without any meds!

My son caught a respiratory bug, and it made his asthma flare. I made sure he got seen at the infirmary before his asthma looked too bad - as they have a pretty low threshold for what they are willing to treat on board. I was impressed for the most part with how well they were equipped to handle it. Everything that would have been done in a land ER was done in the infirmary. Doc was great, films of his chest, antibiotics, nebulizer & a short course of steroids to decrease the inflammation. The bill was only around $200, which is ridiculously low compared to what the visit would have cost at home. Trip insurance covered it. I will say though I wonder about the supposed ICU / ER background of the nurse or technician. She couldn't figure out how to put the nebulizer together - I had to do it for her. Something any floor nurse in a hospital would know how to do. They still billed for her doing it - which I guess I would have raised a fuss over if the bill had not been so reasonable / insurance covering it anyhow.

As a nurse, I'm curious as to the medical center. I'd love to just go down there and see how it is. Do they charge your insurance for everything? Obviously getting flighted off the boat would require extra fees, but if you are dehydrated and need some IV fluid, they charge your insurance? Hopefully we won't be needing any medical services! (We don't drink so no hang overs or anything. My 9 yr old son tends to be my "weak link" medically so lets hope he is ok! He's usually my carsick kid (Im bringing a patch for him) but he is also very small so excessive vomiting is detrimental to him and fluid replacement would be important. What about broken bones? Can they do x-rays and set the bone for until the cruise is over? Just curious but totally not planning on using this service! ( But then again, who plans a medical emergency?!)

The onboard medical centre will charge your onboard account which you settle in the usual way and then claim on your travel insurance. We've needed to visit the on board facility on Celebrity Century and Legend of the Seas, I'm not a medical person but I'd have to say in both cases they were very well equipped and very professionally staffed. Obviously there are limits to what can be performed at sea, anything major requires evacuation be the most efficient means.