Bannister Island Private Beach Break

fourdarlings

We just returned from the Carnival Glory on 11/12 and we did the private island beach break to Bannister Island. I probably wouldn't do it again. We have 4 kids (8 yr olds) and thought it would be a fun time. The island is really very small. There are plenty of beach chairs. The sand is quite rough with broken shell pieces and the water bottom is actually quite muddy, not soft sand. You cannot swim our very far as they have it roped off. There are free floats you can use, paddle boats and kayaks for rent.

There is a tiny gift shop, one small window restaurant that could not handle the crowd and a good sized bar. The restaurant served luke warm, rubbery hotdogs and fries for $5 (or cheeseburger and fries for the same price-but they ran out) or chicken fingers for $9.

Our shore excursion indicated it was 6 hours, but we didn't meet on board until 10:15 in the Amber Palace lounge and then the tender left to bring us back to the ship at 2:15 pm (it is only a 10 minute ride). There was no snorkelling going on there that I could see.

My kids much preferred the beach in Mahajual Costa Maya, which was white sand and crystal clear.

Just my opinion.

Keri

Ohh wow :eek: This is not what I imagined. Although, I'm wondering if the mucky water had anything to do with bad weather :confused: I was a little concerned with this place being so crowded since the cruise lines are booking excursions to this site and the Island being small to begin with. I do know this place is new and I think it has only been open for several weeks. Maybe it will take them a little time to get things together or enough complaints will get them on the ball....I hope :( Belize is known for their rain forests and barrier reefs - not so much their beaches or should I say Cayes. A place like this is very rare in Belize so I was looking forward to it.

By any chance - did anyone take pictures of Bannister Island?

fourdarlings .... Thanks so VERY much for your review! Many of us have been awaiting a review from the first to return from this new excursion.

Appreciate your REAL opinion! (... and mommyto2girls, yours as well)

So the positives seem to be that there are plenty of chairs and the bar area is good.

Have learned to take water shoes and to "eat before going" since the food is iffy at best.

:confused: How about the "free" floats? Were there enough to go around?

HELP! OCruisers :)

Archived