Recent Gluten Free Experiences??

gdlamberth

I have searched this board and the most recent post for Gluten Free seems to be from 2010. I have looked on Princess' site and see where the Head Waiter will bring tomorrow's menu to you and help you make choices. All that said, I would love to hear about experiences folks have had since 2010, regarding Gluten Free? Especially regarding:

• How did it work at the Buffets?
  • Were GF dessert choices identified the day before (in addition to main course and appetizer items)?
  • Dining venues other than MDR or Horizons
  • Menu items not normally GF but could be prepared GF when asked (on another line my DH was able to get Escargot GF if she notified Head Waiter a day ahead)
  • What did you think of specific GF products (e.g., bread rolls, pancakes, muffins, etc) I know this is a highly subjective area but I thought I'd ask:o
  • GF breads at the pool side Grill?
  • GF Soy sauce (when appropriate)

None of these are deal breakers and I'm not trying to kick a hornet's nest just trying to manage DH's expectations. Our last cruise with Princess was wonderful but DH wasn't GF at the time.

Thanks for your comments and observations,

Greg

Hi, If you click on the link in my sig below you will find loads of pics with regards to my recent GF cruise.

You do need to be pro-active everywhere, but this isn't specifically a Princess anomaly..... ditto with RCL and Celebrity.

Buffet : lots of GF signs.....

Desserts in the MDR : I could choose but ended up being surprised daily..... 90% success rate there and could always find something in the Buffet or International Cafe to 'top up'.

Dining venues : stuck to the MDR and Horizons. Could get GF pizza and GF ice cream at the venues out on deck

Whatever was on the menu for the next day I asked for and got GF. Yum.

Bread rolls? What are they? There was only one type of bread available..... and it was indigestible unless toasted.

Pancakes : tried once for breakfast..... meh.

Muffins : didn't try though apparently they had 2 sorts

Poolside grill : didn't ask

Didn't ask for GF soya sauce.... did without.

Happy to answer questions either here or in the blog.

Hi, If you click on the link in my sig below you will find loads of pics with regards to my recent GF cruise.

You do need to be pro-active everywhere, but this isn't specifically a Princess anomaly..... ditto with RCL and Celebrity.

Buffet : lots of GF signs.....

Desserts in the MDR : I could choose but ended up being surprised daily..... 90% success rate there and could always find something in the Buffet or International Cafe to 'top up'.

Dining venues : stuck to the MDR and Horizons. Could get GF pizza and GF ice cream at the venues out on deck

Whatever was on the menu for the next day I asked for and got GF. Yum.

Bread rolls? What are they? There was only one type of bread available..... and it was indigestible unless toasted.

Pancakes : tried once for breakfast..... meh.

Muffins : didn't try though apparently they had 2 sorts

Poolside grill : didn't ask

Didn't ask for GF soya sauce.... did without.

Happy to answer questions either here or in the blog.

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Glad to hear there are GF signs in the buffet line.

Greg

I have searched this board and the most recent post for Gluten Free seems to be from 2010. I have looked on Princess' site and see where the Head Waiter will bring tomorrow's menu to you and help you make choices. All that said, I would love to hear about experiences folks have had since 2010, regarding Gluten Free? Especially regarding:

• How did it work at the Buffets?
  • Were GF dessert choices identified the day before (in addition to main course and appetizer items)?
  • Dining venues other than MDR or Horizons
  • Menu items not normally GF but could be prepared GF when asked (on another line my DH was able to get Escargot GF if she notified Head Waiter a day ahead)
  • What did you think of specific GF products (e.g., bread rolls, pancakes, muffins, etc) I know this is a highly subjective area but I thought I'd ask:o
  • GF breads at the pool side Grill?
  • GF Soy sauce (when appropriate)

None of these are deal breakers and I'm not trying to kick a hornet's nest just trying to manage DH's expectations. Our last cruise with Princess was wonderful but DH wasn't GF at the time.

Thanks for your comments and observations,

Greg

• Buffets do have some signage. You can also ask any of the crew for the Head Waiter and he will walk you through the line to point out GF foods.
  • Dessert is always a tricky thing for me (multiple allergies). I usually get a "Chef's Surprise" Often times it is unusual and tasty.
  • When you go to dinner the first night tell your waiter that you have a special diet. He will bring the Head Waiter to you. Head Waiter will bring the next night's menu to you to review and take your order. Almost everything on the menu can be made GF. They are very good with modifications.
  • GF bread taste is very subjective. You can ask for it to be served toasted. It is best that way. With lots of butter. I have never had muffins, but will be asking about them on my upcoming cruise.
  • No GF bread at the Grill. I always eat the hamburger/hot dog without it.
  • There is GF pizza on most ships. Stop by and ask the protocol. Some ships need 1 day, or 1 hour, or 20 minutes, or no extra time at all. Different ships, different styles.
  • I have never asked about GF soy sauce. If it is important, you could take your own bottle.

Princess works very hard to accommodate all types of diets. In my experience they do a good job. However, you do have to pay attention to what is on your plate. Mistakes do happen.

SaveSave

You will have plenty of good food options if your experience is like ours was on the Royal in Septemeber 2016. My wife is allergic to gluten and dairy and was able to enjoy the food.

Buffet:. She would have a cook wall her around and explain to her what her options were. If she didn't see a cook she would ask someone on the floor and they would get someone for her. Plenty of options and she enjoyed the food.

Pizza:. We ordered room service for gluten free and dairy free pizza. She liked it.

MDR:. We were in a suite so we ate our meals in. I would order her food the night before and not much of the menu was off limits. One night she wanted more as I had ordered her only light seafood dishes the MDR was able to get a steak up to her quickly. Very easy process and she had food. With me picking the meals it was always a surprise for her.

Steak House: we ate at the steakhouse two nights and my wife got different food each night and they were very flexible on what they could make for her. One night they had a chocolate pudding desert type dish she loved so much she got a second to go.

Overall the food was great for her and she liked the experience. With only being limited by gluten it should be much easier for you.

I've other dietary "restrictions" (am vegetarian by choice, limited dairy & fat by necessity) so can't really comment on deserts, etc. - I'm pretty sure there were GF muffins (sweet, as against English) and perhaps a slice of some kind - but I can't comment on what they might have been like to eat. They did do some nice sorbets in the MDR.

Bread was edible...that is saying something as I'm fortunate enough to have an excellent GF bakery not far from where I live, so my standards are rather high. Not as good as I get at home, but warmed and with a little salt was quite nice. In contrast to spiceyxi's experience - I tried pizza once, and it was truly revolting ... I try my best not to waste food, but I had to stop at one bite.

I tended to stick with the dining room for most meals - seeing passengers 1/ picking up - or worse - putting back food with bare hands and 2/ using randomly selected spoons, tongs, etc., is more than enough to make me steer clear.

MDR pretty good - no issue with things like swapping for a GF pasta, or leaving questionable ingredients out (e.g. a couple of Asian dishes where they couldn't tell me whether things like soy sauce or miso were GF) .... HW came and discussed options with us each night for the following night...if there was nothing on the menu I could eat - modified or not - they'd come up with something different for me.