NEW CARNIVAL MENU ITEMS-Anyone have them yet???

AmyMelissa

I so agree with you. I don't quite get the whole drawing on the plate thing. If I wanted art I would go to the auction. I think a chef needs to cook and leave the building of towers to the Lego set.

I'm probably the minority, but I really watch my waist line and like tiny portions and LOVE art on my plate. Don't get me wrong, I want it to taste wonderful (or else I take 1 bite & order something else.) But art on my plate is exactly what I'm looking for on a cruise. We are already eating "Americanized" food for lunch and breakfast. I love to feel special at dinner. I dress in new, beautiful clothes and go to every dinner. I'm looking for something that makes me feel like a woman and not a "Mom". I make yummy slabs of meat and baked potatoes in my own house. I don't need it when I'm out. And I can't wait to try quail. I've always wanted to. I've had colt & venison & snails & alligator & octopus, etc. Why not quail & duck? You can always order sirloin no matter what the menu says, so they really are taking care of all of us.

But I really don't want an olive oil based dessert! I'm a professional baker (I actually call myself a Sugar Artist, so you can see where my feelings lie) & that sounds truly nasty. We leave on the Glory Dec 10th so I'll tell ya'll my opinion when we come home. Maybe this whole post will deserve to be thrown in the trash as I'll say, "yuck!"

As for the maitre d, give me a stinking break. The word Sophisticated comes from the word sophistry which means to mislead (or lie) by convincing arguement. So calling someone "sophisticated" really means they are putting on a pretense of being something they are not inside. It sounds like Mr. MaitreD is very sophisticated: Pretentious and ostentatious.

Ooooo - estherhead! A Sugar Artist!! I LOVE watching the sugar art/chocolate art/baking competitions on the Food Network. Everytime, I think "man, I'd like to be able to do that!" Good for you! btw - will I see you in any of those competitions?

I'll be looking for your Glory review when you return. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions. It will be interesting to get your take on the desserts given your profession. Please be sure to comment!

No matter what, I think we can all always find enough to eat...regular and adventurous. I was just personally disappointed at some of the changes to my favorites. (Kinda like going to your fave restaurant that you only make it to a couple times a year and find that your memories were the best part of the evening's dinner. Memories are GREAT...but a wonderful taste of what you were expecting would have been appreciated as well.) :)

And to those who responded to my posting regarding the maitre'd's comment - rest assured, it was pointed out to more than one person in more than one way (comment card, discussion, follow-up letter).

I totally agree, Estherhead! That happens to be one of the reasons I enjoy cruising. We are AMERICANIZED almost every day of our lives at home. My children are even looking forward to trying "new and exciting" dishes.

We are on the same cruise (Glory on 12/10). Come on over to the roll call boards. We've got a really big group so far.

Nope, you won't see me on TV, as I can't handle being judged. I freak out! I just do it for brides & special occasions. I have a met a few of them though & took a class from the winner of the Oklahoma show last year (Earlene Moore.) She was great. I'll definately post my review and I'm going to try to take very good pictures of my inside stateroom and bathroom. I want to have a spot on the cruiseclues site that says, "Gallery of closets, bathroom, storage, etc." People only take photos of towel animals, and how helpful is that to those of us planning? I need a photo of storage, counter space, and the blow dryer!!! lol I have a website that is in its baby form. I'm going to put a photo gallery in when I get back from the cruise. I don't know if I'm allowed to post it on here, but you can type my name and the word cake into a search engine and find it. I'm in Athens, Ohio.

Esther

I don't see anything wrong with cooking the pasta al dente in the same water used to boil some of the mussels or other mariscos. But, it's hard to understand a Matre D' making that comment to a customer even if one allows the possibility that perhaps the suggestion was rudely delivered. It wouldn't have been much for him to say "thank you for that suggestion, sir, we will taken it under consideration" and prompty forget about it if he thought that the palate was not sufficiently sophisticated.:rolleyes:

I think I know what this poster is talking about. There is a press release on Carnival's web site that talks about new menu items from some world reknowned French chef. I just got off the Carnival Liberty on Sunday and they were not on the menu yet.

Unless you are over 65 you won't enjoy it, and even then you don't enjoy it until about 12 hrs later.

Heh, my waiter joked about me ordering the prune dessert. (I'm 36.) But I enjoyed it a lot. Also, it had only a few small bits of prune in it, probably less than one full prune in the whole dish. Anyway, there are plenty of prunes in the breakfast buffet, and besides, "regularity" has never been a problem when I'm eating 10 times a day! :D

I too had a waiter who steered me away from the unpopular dishes. I insisted on the game consomme despite his warning, and it was a plain brown broth, worth skipping.

I ordered the olive oil dessert, even though it sounded gross, just to find out what the heck it was. It turned out to be a plain, mild chocolate muffin. Pretty good, but needed a complementary flavor.

Best dessert, hands down, was the lemon creme brulee.

Carnival's attitude towards food showed not only at dinner but at the gala midnight buffet. You couldn't always tell what the food was, and it didn't always taste spectacular, but it looked great!

I appreciate that Carnival keeps trying to innovate, not only in food but in activities, itineraries, etc. They have to keep up with their competition (or buy it ;) ). It would be boring if every year you took a cruise and it was the same; eventually you'd stop coming back. Alas, not everything they try can be a perfect gem.

That said, bring back the cherries jubilee!

• 2 weeks later...
. Mentioned it to the matre'd who made the comment that it was now being prepared the "continental way and perhaps my pallet was not sophisticated enough for the new preparation method". WHAT????? I didn't even know what to say to that one!

That guy must have been trained in France or trained by a Frenchman because I found that kind of arrogant behavior in several French restaurants in Paris. One friend had a waiter come up and tell her she was using the wrong fork.:mad: That is the "continental way".

Archived