getting from Genoa cruise terminal to Bergamo airport?

Wilbur1961

Hi - we are disembarking a MSC cruise in April in Genoa and then need to get a flight back to UK from Bergamo. Has anyone done this before and is it easy enough. After trawling through the internet, it seems to be but thought I would have some export advice and suggestions please!?

Thanks

We looked at this and it was quite a trek having to get a train and then a bus, maybe even 2. It also takes a few hours and although we use public transport a lot when we travel this one was a journey we thought best not yo attempt. Our travel agent, CN if that's who you're booked though called a couple of weeks ago and offered us a transfer for ?49 so we have done that just to save the worry.

Becky

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi - we are disembarking a MSC cruise in April in Genoa and then need to get a flight back to UK from Bergamo. Has anyone done this before and is it easy enough. After trawling through the internet, it seems to be but thought I would have some export advice and suggestions please!?

Thanks

Can't imagine why you'd want to fly from Bergamo when Genoa has its own airport served by BA and Ryanair or via Paris and Amsterdam to regional airports.

Can't imagine why you'd want to fly from Bergamo when Genoa has its own airport served by BA and Ryanair or via Paris and Amsterdam to regional airports.

Maybe they need to get back to a specific UK airport and it's cheaper travelling around Italy than the UK? You know what our train prices are like - even if you take the risk of booking in advance . . . .

Perhaps flying back to Gatwick is off-putting?? If we cruise from Genoa then we fly to Milan and get the train for 20? - much easier and better flight times??

Genoa to Bergamo is easy enough - get the train from Genova Piazza Principe (more or less opposite the cruise terminal) to Milano Centrale, then change trains at Milano to Bergamo - then the number 1 bus from Bergamo to the airport.

Journey time on the train can be as little as 2 and a half hours, or up to 4 hours, depending on the connections - the bus then takes about 25 minutes.

Once you've got your train tickets, make sure you validate them in one of the yellow machines on the platform! I made the mistake of not doing this once and had to pay again!

Hi - thanks for the replies - unfortunately, we didn't have a choice of airport as we booked the 'package' with our TA. Yes, it would have been much easier to fly home from a local airport and also back to Heathrow instead of Manchester, but hey-ho, the deal is done.

We are probably going to try the local transport. I've heard the rail system in Italy is good and efficient and it will take just as much time on the coach which I believe the organised transfer will take. If we leave the cruise terminal early, we will have loads of time to get to Bergamo.

More research needed, I think......

Very easy to do. Principe train station is across the road from the terminal in Genoa - about 6 minute walk. Take train to Milan Centrale. From there a Terravision coach to Bergamo Airport. Train takes about 2 hours. Bus takes 1 hour.

I wouldn't take the train to Bergamo and then the bus from there to the Airport as the Milan/Bergamo train nearly takes as long as the bus, you need to make an additional change and you will have extra waiting time.

When we did this route, with three kids under 4! We took the train to Milan. Left our luggage at the train station. Took the metro to the Duomo and visited it and the roof top. Came back to station, retrieved luggage, had late lunch/ earlier dinner at the train station and then took bus to airport - very painless and paced!

Well this was a surprise question this morning. This is exactly what I did albeit in reverse on my last cruise.

In short I found it very easy to do. The train from Genoa (Principe being a 2 minute walk from the the cruise port) is fairly fast and cheap. And the scenery is superb as it meanders through the mountains.

As mentioned above I too would recommend the coach from Milan Centrale. Of which there were about 4 or 5 different companies. The coach departs right outside the main entrance to the train station. You'll see signs and people stood their selling tickets. From memory I think a one way was about 5-6 euros. Dropping you right at the door of Bergamo.

I had to do this as the BA flight into Genoa was expensive, and the Ryanair flight didn't allow me enough time to meet my cruise. My flight to Bergamo was £12, with train and coach coming to something like £11. I flew back from Genoa but would certainly use Bergamo again of price dictated. Stunning flight in over the snow capped mountains too!

Have a fab time