Gluten Free

It is not a problem at all. The first night in the dining room I ask the waiter what he recommends for gluten free. Then before the end of dinner a menu is given you to. You order your dinner for the next night. Always stay a day ahead. It is made in a special kitchen within the kitchen.

Just off Harmony. I had to go GF about a month ago. Yes have it put on your reservation but most importantly ask for your head waiter on the first night. It will be easiest if you have traditional seating, with same table and staff. The normal menu will have items marked GF, such as steak, chicken ,.seafood. Each night the head waiter will bring you the next night menu and help you select items. My head waiter was amazing, he worked with the chef to prepare GF substitutes for French fries and pasta. They would go to other venues and bring me GF items. I felt they truly cared. I gave my head waiter an extra tip and named him in my survey.

Breakfast and lunch not as good. I had to limit myself to eggs. bacon, yogurt. There were no gf pancakes. Sorrentos had gf pizza but it tasted awful.The cafe had gf sandwiches if you ask. The windjammer had one small gf dessert section.

You need to know what you can eat and how sensitive you are. Other than dinner you will not have many choices, I really missed the food on previous cruises. But I was able to eat with my friends at dinner.

We just traveled with friends who's daughter is gluten free. Dinner was fine, she had to pick meal night before.

Lunch wasn't great. First sea day we all went to Solarium bistro about a 1/2 hour before it closed. They were told had to go to windjammer for gluten free and bring plate back with food. Between walking to get it and finding it and walking back. Solarium closed. It was a mess.

Wound up having to order breakfast at night as well as telling where and what time planning on eating. Make a stressful vacafor them.

RCL is really good about it. Last year I checked the box for dietary restrictions when I filled out our info, when I got to my cabin the first day there was a note asking me to contact the dining room to go over my needs/restrictions.

Very well done by RCL....did I mention that I'm sailing again in 3 days!!!!...lol

Is it hard or impossible to eat gluten free onboard?

I believe there is always at least one gluten free item on the menu every night. Food allergies and special diets are one of the items Royal does really well. There are lots of rice and potato dishes in wind jammer along with salads and meats. Most of the time in Windjammer pasta is separate from the sauce. The caf? promenade and pizza place will be where you will be challenged find gluten free.

I was on both Indy and Freedom. I found that breakfast is far easier in Windjammer. They offered both gluten free pancakes and waffles. It was always in the back by the omelet station and I had to ask for them. They would sometimes offer bread as well.

Dinners were fine, however for sides you get a plain baked potato and steamed veggies. Every night. It got old quickly. At the end of each meal I was given a menu for the following evening to pre-order. One night they offered flourless chocolate cake and I asked for extra to take back with me. They were happy to give me extra.

Don't bother with the pizza at Sorrentos. It takes forever and tastes horrible! However, either Sorrentos or the cafe had gluten free chocolate chip cookies. Ask for extras to go!

I brought protein/Lara bars on board with me. I also brought some cookies/treats just in case. Fresh fruit from the windjammer helped. Just grab a few pieces on your way out.

I hope that helps! Enjoy your cruise!

I found gluten free to be remarkably easy except lunch in dining room. If I ordered lunch at breakfast, it was no big deal and they would have it ready. Windjammer had lots of GF choices and the chef up there always came out to help me. Dinner was great, they made everything GF that I could possibly ask for. I was surprised how simple it was.