Waitlisted for Traditional Dining

swd269

I tried it once and didn’t like it. As far as quality, the negative reports about dining room service and quality (not just the quality of the food) posted here seem to stem from the Anytime Dining option.

Let's review the negative reports of Anytime Dining that have come up so frequently on this board that IMHO and experience they can be assumed as the way things generally go

• Big groups: forget walking in and sitting right down during peak time, not gonna happen. (never ever) (people that get mad at this one really don't understand the nature of the beast)
  • Personal Service: The waiters that have never seen you before probably don't know that you like iced tea (big turn off for some, nothing to others)
  • Tablemates: If sitting at a big table its a crap shoot every night as to if you'll like your tablemates or not. (has also come up on some positive reports from those who REALLY like meeting new people)
  • Dining Style: To compare Anytime Dining at peak times to TGI Fridays on a weekend night is pretty much accurate (they even give you buzzers to tell you when your table is ready)

I feel like I forgot one (or more) but that seems accurate to me..and I like Anytime Dining.

Personally that is.

I'd never give it a blanket recommendation for everyone but I DO like the flexibility of going either way. Princess just needs to figure that part out so everyone CAN.

After cruising two other lines and being disappointed at the food quality I've realized that if I can have both great food and great service I want that. I want that bad. But if I can't and I have to choose I'll take the good food.

But I shouldn't have to make that choice right?

OK, I'd like to clarify what I *think" I've discerned so far:

The PC dining room(s) won't necessarily accept a standing reservation for my party (total of six people: 4 adults + 2 kids)

Therefore, since I'm in PC dining, I can expect to wait for a table if dining from 7-8:30 pm.

Is this correct?

(I'm not trying to jump into the "is PC dining better or is it worse" debate; I'm just a Princess newbie w/ an upcoming sailing on the Grand and want to know what to expect). Thanks.

OK, I'd like to clarify what I *think" I've discerned so far:

The PC dining room(s) won't necessarily accept a standing reservation for my party (total of six people: 4 adults + 2 kids)

Therefore, since I'm in PC dining, I can expect to wait for a table if dining from 7-8:30 pm.

Is this correct?

(I'm not trying to jump into the "is PC dining better or is it worse" debate; I'm just a Princess newbie w/ an upcoming sailing on the Grand and want to know what to expect). Thanks.

I would say it depends on the ship. Some ships let you make a standing reservation without any headaches. Others will only let you make a standing reservation for the same time as one of the traditional seating times (usually like 5:30 & 8-ish). If you don't have a reservation, yes, you can expect a wait for a table if you arrive at the more popular dining times (about 7-8:30).

...and to be totally fair, if you had a small party, say a party of two, you might get hungry, decide it's time to eat, walk right in and sit right down.

It does work sometimes. It's not a total flop.

I think the big concern of all this is that if there are so many people on the waiting list to get into Traditional Dining that they should find a way to accomodate them rather than disappoint them.

There are a certain number of people denied Traditional Fixed Dining because it is full that will do fine with Anytime Dining, some will like it, some will even decide it's the way they want to go in the future. Those are not the people of concern here.

Another bunch really likes Traditional Fixed Dining and all it represents as has been discussed here. They're not interested in Anytime Dining in the least bit. They like Traditional Fixed Dining. Period. The problem is that they're the ones who consistently lose out unless they're one of the first however many it takes to fill up the Traditional Fixed Dining rooms.

It's a downside to the whole concept of Personal Choice Cruising and specifically the Anytime Dining concept. But Princess brought it on themselves. Not to make people mad, it's just a downside.

They could do like Norwegian Cruise Lines and have Freestyle Dining which nobody has to dress up or anything or they could do like Royal Caribbean where everybody dines at a fixed time.

The system needs a little tweaking.

There's nothing they're going to be able to do about a group of 20 that walks in at peak time and (stupidly) thinks they're going to sit right down and have a bunch of tables pushed together like at Fridays. The tables are screwed to the floor.

That's probably way more than you wanted to know huh?

:rolleyes:

I've never had problem 'switching' - the Maitre 'D will be accomodating if you are polite and a tip is always appreciated ----

( You can also just arrange the same time , waiter and table in PC for each night - same as traditional! Speak to the Maitre 'D !

Enjoy your cruise......

Our party of four never waited more than two or three minutes for a table on the Caribbean Princess last January. We always ate between 7 and 8 pm. No reservations, no muss, no fuss.

The larger the group, the more chance you'll wait a few minutes for a table.

We were waitlist for TD, early seating.

We arranged a standing reservation for 6:00 PM in the PC dining room. They offered us 8:00 also but we needed the early.

Table was ready everynight, same waieter and assistant. We just waltzed in and sat down. It was acutally better than traditional because if you get there a little early, you just go in as opposed to waiting for the dining room to open and then having a big rush.

I'm very used to traditional dining, and was a bit "alarmed" when I had been waitlisted for late dining for months with the same number that never seemed to change! However, once onboard, I was able to dine in the Coral Dining Room and never had to wait. On the other hand, I was cruising solo, and was placed at tables with other diners, which was fine with me! Everyone got along well, and the meals were wonderful. Over the course of the cruise, I really got to enjoy the "Anytime Dining"! Buffet for three nights for great seafood, Coral for fine dining, and room service once (on the last night). I can find no complaints with any of the dining venues, and enjoyed them all. (Can't say enough about the Pizza Margharita poolside!) Anyway, the Anytime Dining worked for me!

Our group were traditional second on the 10/9 Star sailing. Our side of the dining room was only 1/3 full. From the 1st night on, none of the empty seats were filled. We really wondered what was going on. Must say though, the service was exemplary, almost like being at Sabatini's.

Hello

We are sailing on the Star Princess on 8th January and are number 98 on the waitlist for second seating traditional dining. I don't really mind the idea of Personal Choice dining but am wondering do you still get to go to the captain's cocktail party? Does anybody know this.

Kim

I hope you make it to traditional..... I think anytime would be nice for the flexibility, but we have so much fun with the "extras" you get in traditional. Like dancing around the room waving napkins on Italian night, the traditional Baked Alaska Parade, personal service from waiters who get to know you, etc.

I'd talk to the Maitre' D just to see.

Of course, either way you should get great service and good food, so there's really no way to lose imo :D

The cocktail parties are on the first formal night. They are in two separate shifts before the tradtional seatings. I guess PC diners can choose either time (never done PC so not 100% sure). There's also the Captain Circle's parties (again two shifts) on the second formal night for those who have already cruised with Princess.

we were waitlisted for our Regal cruise. we started at number 84 or 89, but as the payment date got closer, our number went down, down, down and now, we are dancing! We got our first seating after all!:D

if we hadn't, we had planned on using the Bistro for the occasional night, maybe the pizza place too. We hope some of you will get your choice too!:)

Archived