Still confused about rental car POM

moesyk4

We leave in 2 weeks for our 4 day cruise out of Miami. We are going to stay a night in Ft. Lauderdale afterwards and are renting a car to head up there and see the area. We currently have a Budget rental at their downtown office...I am getting mixed reviews as to whether they have a shuttle, but we are fine taking a taxi or Uber as I really hate fighting 50 other people for a shuttle van. I have heard some horror stories though over the downtown locations not being staffed well and waiting for hours.

Would it be better to take a shuttle to the airport through the rental cars and rent from there for better service? Are the shuttles a communal shuttle and how often do they run? Or is it per rental agency? The best rate out of the airport is through Dollar and as they are considered more of a budget line, I don't know if that affects how often the shuttle runs.

Also, we are a group of 4 with plenty of luggage and so I'm assuming we will need Uber XL to go anywhere. The estimates run quite a bit higher to use them....would it be easier to just use a taxi or do you still think Uber would be cheaper? We are staying in Brickell precruise so that is primarily what we are concerned with. Thanks!

Not sure Dollar offers a shuttle to their MIA airport location -- a taxi from POM to MIA will run $27+tip (UberXL will be about the same).

You might consider using a shared shuttle after the cruise to get from POM to FLL and rent your car there.

I have never had a problem using the downtown Budget and have done it several times. We have taken both a taxi, just a few dollars and their shuttle. Don't know how often it runs as it was there waiting for us. I'll be doing it again next week on our cruise,

I have used Budget using the downtown near the port, I have never had to wait that long for my rental. Have never had any hassles getting on the shuttle. Once you arrive at the office, one person go to the counter right away while the others sort out the luggage.

I have used Budget using the downtown near the port, I have never had to wait that long for my rental. Have never had any hassles getting on the shuttle. Once you arrive at the office, one person go to the counter right away while the others sort out the luggage.

Is the shuttle running continuously or do you have to let them know you want to use it? Is there a special code or anything you have to put in?

Is the shuttle running continuously or do you have to let them know you want to use it? Is there a special code or anything you have to put in?

There is an area where the shuttles pick up all passengers. You just have to go there which is right near the ship, then wait for the rental shuttle to arrive. They do run continuous, no secret codes or anything or need to let them know that you are waiting. Remember, they are also dropping off new passengers. I hope this helps.