How are the sea conditions (on average) around February 1?

clj7181

I recently did a snorkeling excursion on Kauai...and lets just say 20% of our boat threw up (myself included) and a lot of others were sick. Come to find out after talking to locals - in the winter months that this is a daily occurrence due to the big waves - but of course even when you call and ask them about this, they don't tell you.

So now I am freaked out to do another boat excursion. On general, what is the water conditions in the grand cayman around February 1? I have read reviews with people talking about strong waves on the sand bar and the boat not tendering in Grand Cayman - just curious if this is just if the weather is bad or a season thing?

Grand Cayman and Kauai are not even CLOSE on how the seas are! You shouldn't have any issues in GC.... Yes..it's true, if it's too windy or rough, you will skip that stop. It can happen any time...it's not seasonal.

IME Cayman can have issues more frequently in Feb, Mar and even Apr as compared to the summer and fall where it is quite unusual.

For example my last week long dive trip to Sunset House was in mid March of the year (not this year) and shore diving was not possible all but one day where as USUALLY I'd get in at least one shore dive a day (or night). The sea just made the in/out of the water too dangerous. OTOH a nice think about Cayman is good diving can be found all around the island and a place like Sunset has boats in several locations. When diving on their side - west - wasn't possible they drove us to the north or the south side and their boats were waiting.....

Tendering is an associated issue and IME the same time of the year probability exists ..... but not nearly 'everyday'. But when it happens, it typically will run for several days in a row.

There really is no way of predicting conditions this far out, but I was in GC around that time last year and conditions were great. We did a sting ray thing, and the water to/from the sandbar was fine. Like other posters have said, if conditions are too rough, you won't be able to tender, so if you can tender I think it'll be ok. That would be my barometer at least.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were in GC during Christmas there were very rough seas. We had stingray city booked and our tour operator gave everyone the option of cancelling or going out. We decided to go and I'm glad we did. The seas were rough but I found if I sat outside the boat on the front I didn't really have any sea sickness.

• 1 month later...