No Butler

harpy3

I am a bit surprised that on Cunard the Princess Grills suites don't have butler service. On Oceania, Crystal, and even Celebrity suites like this do have butlers (which is perhaps where they have all gone). Our butler would make sure we got our room service breakfast timely and hot, and canapes and champagne in the afternoon. And that our formal wear was pressed and shoes polished. I certainly can unpack and pack myself, but did enjoy these other services. My question is: do we get any kind of personalized service in a Princess Grills Suite to arrange for such things?

Of course the room steward takes good care you. ( I dont know if he polishes shoes).

There is a concierge which is very helpful in case you have questions or need anything.

I never really missed the Butler when not travelling Queen´s Grill, but of course its nice to have one. Some people might use him (or her) more than others.

The Princess Grill cabins are rather like mini suites with Queen's Grill being full suites. We do make use of the Butlers at times, though always refuse the canapes as there is plenty of food available, including nice canapes at the bars.

The Concierge is very helpful to both PG & QG guests and of course the Grill's deck is available to both categories. The Stewards are generally very helpful and may polish your shoes.

I am a bit surprised that on Cunard the Princess Grills suites don't have butler service. On Oceania, Crystal, and even Celebrity suites like this do have butlers (which is perhaps where they have all gone). Our butler would make sure we got our room service breakfast timely and hot, and canapes and champagne in the afternoon. And that our formal wear was pressed and shoes polished. I certainly can unpack and pack myself, but did enjoy these other services. My question is: do we get any kind of personalized service in a Princess Grills Suite to arrange for such things?

They DO have a concierge to handle things for you. There's never been butler service in Princess Grill to my knowledge. Crystal suites are way above even Queens Grill for the most part(Exception Q-3 & above)

I appreciate that many cruisers enjoy having a butler. I've traveled a few times on Oceania in Penthouse Suites and have had a butler. I personally find them irrelevant and intrusive (extra knocks on the door to check in).

Only had a butler on Cunard but found the do not disturb sign a perfect way of controlling knocks on the door, always 100% respected in my experience.

M-AR

I presume there needs to be some differential between the two types of Grills accommodation - there are plenty of QG suites if one does require a butler.

Only had a butler on Cunard but found the do not disturb sign a perfect way of controlling knocks on the door, always 100% respected in my experience.

M-AR

Agreed. Sometimes I forget to put out the sign.

But sometimes when the sign is out the butler will call by phone to ask if we would like him to do anything.

All in all I prefer to be left alone, can pack myself, can send things out for pressing if needed, and can scrounge around for my own canapés if I'm hungry. Plus, let's be real, the typical canapé offering is unmemorable.

I presume there needs to be some differential between the two types of Grills accommodation - there are plenty of QG suites if one does require a butler.
Exactly; well said :) .

I think that many passengers decide what facilities they most want/need... and then book the appropriate accommodation that offers those facilities? Please excuse me being blunt, but if a butler is important to the sailing, why book a grade of cabin that comes without one :confused: .

I had a butler last Nov/Dec on QM2 (Caribbean Cruise). Most attentive, faultless service, friendly yet professional at all times.

I agree with MarkieMarkNY; the evening canape were utterly forgettable. I really should have said "don't bother, please". But I didn't wish to appear ungrateful :o .

I think that many passengers decide what facilities they most want/need... and then book the appropriate accommodation that offers those facilities? Please excuse me being blunt, but if a butler is important to the sailing, why book a grade of cabin that comes without one :confused: .

I had a butler last Nov/Dec on QM2 (Caribbean Cruise). Most attentive, faultless service, friendly yet professional at all times.

I agree with MarkieMarkNY; the evening canape were utterly forgettable. I really should have said "don't bother, please". But I didn't wish to appear ungrateful :o .

Love it!

Once we said "no thanks" to the canapés and our butler looked so hurt it was rather adorable.

We ordered canapés for the remainder of the voyage!

We refused the canapes on the QV last trip. It was due my DH developing a problem with gluten. I asked for crisps and nuts as a snack.

I did ask our butler to surprise me one night with a caviar tray. He dutifully showed up at the door with a lovely tray in hand. Unfortunately, that was the day when I was under the weather with sea sickness. I almost lost it when I answered the door. I had to send him away. I did manage to hold on until I closed the door and made it to the bar sink.

Love it!

Once we said "no thanks" to the canapés and our butler looked so hurt it was rather adorable.

We ordered canapés for the remainder of the voyage!

We always tell our Butler, when he/she introduces themselves, that we don't want the canapés. We eat far too much as it is, and as a vegetarian, the offerings are even more forgettable, believe me. Those offered at the bars are nicer and warm.

Occasionally we will ask for nuts, but as nut lovers, we can eat those all too easily, so try to limit ourselves.

The Canapés are pretty boring but I always got Caviar. Lily, our butler asked what could she do to make the cruise more enjoyable. I told her I loved Caviar. Well I got it every evening. True, it wasn't the real top quality stuff, but it still was pretty good.