Gluten Free - Specific Questions, Experience Please

First, please be patient with me. I am in the process of having tests done that will probably confirm I have to eat gluten free (and apparently it will help my asthma, too, regardless of what these tests show). So I have already started it, but I am definitely still adjusting to this new diet. I have done a lot of reading on the requirements of gluten-free, and I'm taking it seriously. My cruise next week will be my first one where I have to eat gluten free. I don't think the main dining room will be an issue, with the labeled menus and helpful servers. It's the Windjammer I have questions about.

I emailed RCI's special needs department, and rather than answer my specific content questions about Windjammer items, they just recommended I not eat there because of the risk of cross-contamination. Well, we will be a group of 5, with two kids and a teenager, and we will be eating in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch (also, my condition is not celiac, so I'm not AS concerned about a single crumb of cross-contamination, although I know better than to "cheat" and have an actual bite of forbidden gluten goodness, and I know not to eat fried things that don't have a dedicated fryer).

So I'm looking for help from gluten-free people who HAVE eaten in the Windjammer or perhaps received more informational responses from RCI when asking about gluten content:

1. Did you worry about cross-contamination in the Windjammer? Other than the one instance I read about where someone witnessed a passenger put a regular roll back in with the gluten free rolls, how much of a risk do you think it is?

2. I have read there is a GF section of the Windjammer, but no specifics on what it has (other than rolls). What are the GF items?

3. What regular foods did you eat for breakfast? I'm hoping not to be limited to fruit. For breakfast, I'm wondering specifically about the corned beef hash, turkey and chicken sausages, hash browns and other potatoes. I don't eat eggs.

4. What regular foods did you eat for lunch? A bunless burger isn't going to cut it every day. I know I have to be careful about the breaded chickens, sauces thickened with flour, and Asian food with soy sauce. I'll probably end up at the meat carver, but what about the baked fishes? Indian dishes? (which are often gluten free, but you of course have to check) What about the french fries (do they have a dedicated fryer)? Are the vegetables without sauces generally safe?

5. Did you get glutened in the Windjammer?

Thanks

First, please be patient with me. I am in the process of having tests done that will probably confirm I have to eat gluten free (and apparently it will help my asthma, too, regardless of what these tests show). So I have already started it, but I am definitely still adjusting to this new diet. I have done a lot of reading on the requirements of gluten-free, and I'm taking it seriously. My cruise next week will be my first one where I have to eat gluten free. I don't think the main dining room will be an issue, with the labeled menus and helpful servers. It's the Windjammer I have questions about.

I emailed RCI's special needs department, and rather than answer my specific content questions about Windjammer items, they just recommended I not eat there because of the risk of cross-contamination. Well, we will be a group of 5, with two kids and a teenager, and we will be eating in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch (also, my condition is not celiac, so I'm not AS concerned about a single crumb of cross-contamination, although I know better than to "cheat" and have an actual bite of forbidden gluten goodness, and I know not to eat fried things that don't have a dedicated fryer).

So I'm looking for help from gluten-free people who HAVE eaten in the Windjammer or perhaps received more informational responses from RCI when asking about gluten content:

1. Did you worry about cross-contamination in the Windjammer? Other than the one instance I read about where someone witnessed a passenger put a regular roll back in with the gluten free rolls, how much of a risk do you think it is?

2. I have read there is a GF section of the Windjammer, but no specifics on what it has (other than rolls). What are the GF items?

3. What regular foods did you eat for breakfast? I'm hoping not to be limited to fruit. For breakfast, I'm wondering specifically about the corned beef hash, turkey and chicken sausages, hash browns and other potatoes. I don't eat eggs.

4. What regular foods did you eat for lunch? A bunless burger isn't going to cut it every day. I know I have to be careful about the breaded chickens, sauces thickened with flour, and Asian food with soy sauce. I'll probably end up at the meat carver, but what about the baked fishes? Indian dishes? (which are often gluten free, but you of course have to check) What about the french fries (do they have a dedicated fryer)? Are the vegetables without sauces generally safe?

5. Did you get glutened in the Windjammer?

Thanks

Quite frankly I was not impressed with the WJ. We're doing most meals in the dining room. On FOS there were few items listed as GF. I'm hoping NOS will be better next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First of all, if you have already started going "GF" and have not had your blood test yet, they will not be able to accurately test you. Please wait togo GF until after your testing.

Last month on the Jewel of the Seas, all the food was labeled in the Windjammer stating it was GF. I was shocked on how many items that there were available. Even though there was a very good selection, I only ate there one night and stuck with a Salad and a hot dog (no bun). Since I have Celiac's, I have to be very careful due to cross contamination.

Your best bet, if you have Celiac's, is to go to the Dining Room on the first day and ask to speak to the Chef to ensure that he is informed that you can not have cross contamination. If you decide to eat in Chops, etc.,, ask to speak to a manager. On my December cruise, I was gluttened, two nights on the Harmony. Even after advising, the head waiter, managers and Concierge's. The smaller the ship, the better. The bigger you go, more people and they obviously don't care.

You will learn after a few cruises, what things have gluten in them and then you will begin to question the waiters. There has been numerous occasions that they have tried to give me something with gluten and I knew it was not gluten free.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I did wait until after my blood draw to stop gluten.

I was on the Allure a few years ago and went the whole week with no exposure. I have celiac's and am very sensitive. We ate for dinner only in the specialty restaurants. The ships are all prepared for GF dining. The Allure had GF cookies and bread in individual packages that they brought to the table. My husband always spoke to the staff as we entered and it was never a problem. When you go to the WJ just ask to speak to the manager and he will walk you through the options...have fun!!

I have Celiac and have eaten in the Windjammer and not gotten sick. Talk with the manager, they'll help you out. And I'm sure you'll quickly figure out if you'll feel safe eating there or not. I'm not a huge fan of buffets anyway, but haven't had any issues on 5+ cruises....don't worry! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed the Allure in September just after I tested positive for Celiac disease. Everyone was very accommodating throughout the ship. The dining room staff and specialty dining were fantastic. You can order pizza at Sorrento's - just need to wait 15 min for a fresh gluten free pie. Also, the sandwich place in the Promenade had packaged chocolate chip cookies. Although, by night 4-5 they were running low so I guy gave me like 5 cookies to last me a few days just in case. lol.

Our 2016 Explorer of the Seas cruise featured a separate "stand-alone" island station with GF items only, available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There were a few repeats from day to day; however it was nice to enjoy reliably GF foods.

On previous cruises, on other ships, the Windjammer chef has been available for a walk-around of the various menu items, pointing out those items that were safely gluten-free.

In the main dining room it is easy to pre-order a gluten free dinner for the subsequent evening. Sometimes the offerings are rather plain and bland.

I was on the Harmony last month and the head waiter and chef were outstanding. They would take my pre-order but if nothing was appealing they would ask what I would like and prepare it. Mystery deserts were fun, no flour chocolate cake was a hit. I had a harder time in WJ. There was a separate small island of GF but it was usually naturally GF items. I could not get GF versions of pancakes, fries, pasta. It worked out OK because the meals at dinner were so filling. I spoke with the Food Services Director and suggested they have a handout saying what venues had specific GF items rather than my having to ask at each location and not always get the right answer. Be sure to bring along your own GF snack bars, cookies, or crackers in unopened packages. This is where having the special needs on reservation is important, they won't confiscate them.

I hope for your sake that you do not have to move to a gluten free diet, but if you do, I wish you greatly improved health despite the dining challenges you will face.

Royal Caribbean cruising has proven to be a very good vacation choice for me and my dietary needs (Celiac). I prefer to eat in the main dining room because I have the opportunity to work directly with one head waiter who typically takes responsibility for my special diet by going over the next day's menu and having me order one day ahead. Having said that, I have had great success in dining at other venues such as Windjammer, Solarium Cafe and specialty restaurants by asking to speak with the manager first. I never eat from the gluten free buffet in Windjammer because of the risk of cross contamination. After explaining my level of need to the manager on Independence last year, they offered to make gluten free hamburgers (yes, with great gluten free buns) and french fries, cooked in a separate fryer. I just had to order ahead and wait a good 20 minutes. The same manager also arranged for me to have a gluten free hamburger waiting for me at the Colombus Cove dining station in Labadee. I believe you can also order the same gluten free hamburgers from Johnny Rockets if you wish to dine there and pay the extra fee. The managers and head waiters are my best friends when it comes to a safe dining experience so I treat them well and tip them well.

My husband is gluten intolerant, too. Besides completing the special needs form and informing our waiter in the MDR, he has also spoken to the head chef in the Windjammer on day one. He/she will tour the area with you and tell you what you should avoid. When in doubt, ask someone. They always seem willing to help. He has never had an issue while on a cruise with gluten. And he has never been lacking for something to eat anywhere on the ship. Also, Sorrentos's has gluten free pizza if you ask them for it. They don't have it out, but will make you some if you request it. At least that was our experience on the Liberty. Good luck!