Viking Rhine Cruise - info about Basel docking/airport requested

MauraL

I am scheduled on the Viking Rhine Getaway in July. When I called to set up our flights I was told that our only choices for return flights were at 6:50 or 8:15 AM departing Basel, Switzerland. I was very disappointed as this would mean we wouldn't see Basel at all. Have others had similar flight assignments? It seems misleading to me that Viking would advertise Day 8 - Basel and then haul us off the ship in the middle of the night before we even see it.

I don't think there are any direct flights to the USA from Basel, so you have to allow for a connection elsewhere which will generally translate into an early start.

I had a quick look at alternatives and there isn't a lot to choose from that doesn't involve either a very short connection or 2 or more stops, so have a look and see what there is that would work for you and then consider paying for a deviation.

We did the same cruise, but in the opposite direction, Basel to Amsterdam. We never got to see Amsterdam. We had to get up at 3 in the morning for the transfer to the airport. So, yes, unfortunately you may not get to see your departure city, Basel.