Chichen Itza or Tulum

bUU

This has been asked and answered before, and if you've shared your views on this in previous threads please rest assured that I've read your views. I'm asking folks who have never shared their views to please add theirs to those that have already been expressed. (Though, of course, if you'd like to repost your earlier comments here, that would be excellent!)

What I've read so far is crystallized in this following comment.

Tulum is cooler and closer. Chichen Itza had a big pyramid and is more varied.

Any and all additional insights greatly appreciated.

I think Tulum is the better option on a cruise. It is closer but still a long day. Yes, the other ruins are bigger but Tulum is an amazingly beautiful location. We loved it. It overlooks the ocean. The ruins were big enough to be interesting. There are some shops and a couple of casual restaurants in the area where the buses park.

Honestly, I like Coba better than the other two. I like that it's in the jungle, I like that it's much more primative, I like that you can climb the pyramid and see for miles above the tree-tops. I also like that it was just discovered in the 70s and so is not terribly excavated or is it in a "museum" - look don't touch - type setting that the other two. Not much roped off here.

I've been to all three sites on a land trip in Mexico. Tulum is the only one of the three that I think is within a reasonable distance of Cozumel for a day trip. Chichen Itza is a fascinating place to visit, but with the 6-8 hour round trip from Cozumel you don't have nearly enough time to see it fully. Coba is also quite far. Tulum is a lovely site that is well worth a visit if you haven't been before, and you won't spend the better part of your day on a bus!

I've been to all three sites on a land trip in Mexico. Tulum is the only one of the three that I think is within a reasonable distance of Cozumel for a day trip. Chichen Itza is a fascinating place to visit, but with the 6-8 hour round trip from Cozumel you don't have nearly enough time to see it fully. Coba is also quite far. Tulum is a lovely site that is well worth a visit if you haven't been before, and you won't spend the better part of your day on a bus!

Well said and I completely agree. I've also been to all three on a land trip and agree that Tulum is the only one I'd attempt from a port day in Cozumel.

Chichen Itza is a huge complex and I can't imagine you'd have time to adequately see it mainly because of all the walking it involves. If you just want to say you saw the big pyramid, then yes - but not to fully explore the site. Like others have said, while smaller Tulum is very beautiful and has more shaded areas which makes it pleasant even on a super hot day. You can also walk down to the ocean there which is nice. To me the structures there aren't as interesting or impressive as some of the other mayan ruin sites, but its location on the ocean is unique and definitely worth the visit.

Of those three though, Coba is by far my favorite and is worth a visit by land if you get the opportunity. That one and Ek Balam.