Questions for Officers at M&G

CantWaitToCrz

I've read a lot about the Meet & Greets and how nice it is that the officers often make an appearance. Does anyone have suggestions for questions to ask them, or conversation starters? The only M&G I went to, they stayed for a few minutes, but no one really got them talking.

I can't remember the last M&G that I went to where they actually stuck around. I vaguely remember one where they did answer questions, but it hasn't happened lately. They usually do their introductions and then leave.

Edited - I hit "post" too soon. It is impressive that the officers make an appearance. It's very nice to be able to put a face to a name and to recognize them around the ship throughout the cruise. :)

Edited by C-line

Avoid asking questions that only corporate HQ can answer, i.e. increases in DSC or cutbacks in ----

Stick with questions like: how full is the ship / # of pax onboard your sailing, # of children/teens, how does the captain decide whether to wait for late pax returning from port or leave them behind as pier runners, what happened to pax belongings if they missed or did not return in the middle of a cruise, how do they decide on calling in for a medevac vs. detour with a fast run to nearest port, questions about gallery or kitchen operations, upcoming new shows that they can share, etc.

Ask those on your Roll Call for help to put together & sort out the questions ahead, let your Group Event Coordinator know in advance the group would like to pose a few questions (maybe 5 ... value the officer's time to stay & answer, if they wish to mingle) ... or, even forward the question ahead of embarkation or day of, before the actual M&G. Give them a chance to screen & decide if they can and want to answer or look up the info ... everyone is prepared with the icebreaker.

They don't like to be put on the spot and give answers that must be cleared by corporate HQ or put them in odd positions.

Avoid asking questions that only corporate HQ can answer, i.e. increases in DSC or cutbacks in ----

Stick with questions like: how full is the ship / # of pax onboard your sailing, # of children/teens, how does the captain decide whether to wait for late pax returning from port or leave them behind as pier runners, what happened to pax belongings if they missed or did not return in the middle of a cruise, how do they decide on calling in for a medevac vs. detour with a fast run to nearest port, questions about gallery or kitchen operations, upcoming new shows that they can share, etc.

Ask those on your Roll Call for help to put together & sort out the questions ahead, let your Group Event Coordinator know in advance the group would like to pose a few questions (maybe 5 ... value the officer's time to stay & answer, if they wish to mingle) ... or, even forward the question ahead of embarkation or day of, before the actual M&G. Give them a chance to screen & decide if they can and want to answer or look up the info ... everyone is prepared with the icebreaker.

They don't like to be put on the spot and give answers that must be cleared by corporate HQ or put them in odd positions.

Those are very thoughtful suggestions. I think that I will pose one or two of them and will be interested in their answers.

Thank you.

On many cruises, the Captain, the Hotel Director and Chief Engineer will do a separate Q&A session or sessions, so that's why there often aren't questions at the M&G. The Q&A sessions are usually just an hour of questions, with some brief introductions.

The officers are at the Meet & Greet, the Latitudes party (if one or more), the Captain's Cocktail Party for Haven and VIP guests, and now they have dinner with the Latitudes members. They hear the same questions over and over.

The best question (well, answer) I ever heard was on the Breakaway inaugural crossing, when someone asked the Captain how much clearance we would have under the Verrazano Bridge. He paused for a split second, and said, "I don't know. We've never done it before." Who knew Norwegians had a sense of humor?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app