Celebrity Solistice April 20th 2017

northwest42

Use UK Sterling. Yr bank will give you a more favourable exchange than what Celebrity will offer.

E.g.: I looked at what their rate is for buying OBC.. it was extremely poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Use UK Sterling. Yr bank will give you a more favourable exchange than what Celebrity will offer.

E.g.: I looked at what their rate is for buying OBC.. it was extremely poor.

Brilliant, thank you

The onboard costs on Solstice are in USD. If you choose UK Sterling Celebrity will convert your onboard account to that currency at whatever rate they are currently using and charge you around 3% (I think) for the privilege. It is far better to have your credit card charged in USD, especially if you have a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. Your bank or credit card company should convert the charge to UK Sterling at the current rate for the day.

We have a similar issue with currencies here in Australia and our onboard account charge was converted by our credit card company at a rate that was as close to the actual foreign exchange rate on the day it was posted to our credit card as I can judge from checking the graphs on my Currency Exchange app.

Halifax and the Post Office have a CC that does not charge for purchases abroad. We use our PO card when settling our account onboard and they convert the charges to Pounds Sterling. Make sure you tick the correct box on the form

With regard to the twenty five dollar shipboard credit units you can purchase from Celebrity. We got a very favourable rate, because Celebrity did not change the cost immediately when the pound tumbled against the dollar. The $25 units cost us £17:30 each. £17.30 only gets you around $21.60 now. They have put the price up to £20:50 per $25 unit now. So, I think I got s bargain!!