Just off the Mall of America, I mean Allure

These Oasis class ships do not appeal to us at all. It sounds as if trying to get a sea balcony would be a challenge considering not too many people would desire getting a "balcony" overlooking the main promenade area. Those ships, including the Quantum class, are just too large for our preference. I'd feel like I was at an Embassy Suites! I wish all future guests on those ships however do have great cruises, but we're sticking with the smaller class of ships.

Embassy Suites...that is probably the best and most accurate description I have seen yet!

I certainly am avoiding the large ships for now - I believe it has more to do with my lifestyle preferences for rural / country living. There are people who thrive in a city atmosphere and the idea of the towering rooms alongside restaurants and a park is appealing, making plans and reservations is the day to day expectation. Crowds, reservations, specialty restaurants and multiple shopping venues would appeal those who love the city - I avoid cities at all costs. When I choose a cruise port - I have no desire to tour Miami or New York - just let me hide in a hotel until I can get on the ship. I may be missing out on something - but for now - I am good!!

Fortunately there is significant cruise product choice out there at the moment.

There are many customers who dislike the large ships but many who enjoy.

The OP raised 2 key items from my perspective:

1) Declining product quality - ie the basic products and services that EVERY ONE accesses

2) Minimizing/elimination of outside perspectives

First, the declining cruise product is worrisome considering I have cruised since 1989. My last cruise on Celebrity was 2.5 years ago and the product did not meet any type of "modern luxury" standards.

Second, the mass market cruise lines (not premium and above) are working very hard to ensure customers spend all their time looking inward to spend $. Not in any way acceptable to me.

I am watching the new Celebrity Edge ship - there are posts already commenting on the concern about no indoor observation area. Granted, some of the public areas are not yet released but the location of these areas do not facilitate outside viewing.

I have no cruises booked given the current trends in the industry - me a customer since 1989.

Guess I am in the minority but I love the Allure.

I don't think you are. You are here in this thread, but there are tons (currently 3 ships full of 15,000+ people a week! soon to be even more) of people that sail on these big gals.

We thought we wouldn't wind up liking it. Hands down our favorite class is the Voyager-class. We love both Mariner and Navigator, who we have sailed multiple times.

That said, we've been on Oasis twice and had great trips both times. To each their own. I'm super pumped to try Harmony. We're going to try and get on her in the fall.

We did Oasis once when it first came out and then Allure a few years ago. Both were nice cruises but I am not saying "we need to go on her again." With that said, we don't have kids and many times a cruise is just a means of transportation between ports. Recently, the ports have been in Europe. Once we get back on the ship we are wanting to just relax, not find things to do or shows to see.

I know I read a lot of people saying they didn't have time to do everything they wanted. We weren't like that. When we sailed on Oasis we did the shows (I wasn't thrilled with the Aqua show and my husband fell asleep when we went to see Hairspray), walked on the boardwalk and rode the carousel. We also walked through Central Park numerous times and visited the area when we were going to Chops or the Cafe. A view of other people's balcony isn't something we were interested in, so there wasn't a desire to just sit in the park. A lot of the other areas are already on the Freedom or Voyager class ships.

I realize it is a ship, so it is interesting to see what they are able to do with them now, but, if I really want to see a broadway play and visit Central Park I'll take the three hour train ride to Manhattan. If I want to go to an amusement area when I am in New York, I'll head over to Coney Island. I could also just drive a few hours from my house to one of the beaches in Maryland or Delaware.

I think that, if you has the money and time to take a cruise,you should try one of the Oasis class ships to see what they are like. You may be pleasantly surprised. If you find it isn't for you, then at least you have had a week away from work.

Fortunately there is significant cruise product choice out there at the moment.

There are many customers who dislike the large ships but many who enjoy.

The OP raised 2 key items from my perspective:

1) Declining product quality - ie the basic products and services that EVERY ONE accesses

2) Minimizing/elimination of outside perspectives

First, the declining cruise product is worrisome considering I have cruised since 1989. My last cruise on Celebrity was 2.5 years ago and the product did not meet any type of "modern luxury" standards.

Second, the mass market cruise lines (not premium and above) are working very hard to ensure customers spend all their time looking inward to spend $. Not in any way acceptable to me.

I am watching the new Celebrity Edge ship - there are posts already commenting on the concern about no indoor observation area. Granted, some of the public areas are not yet released but the location of these areas do not facilitate outside viewing.

I have no cruises booked given the current trends in the industry - me a customer since 1989.

I think Premium lines are doing the same. I mean look at Princess Royal Class ... no proper wrap around promenade deck, no back pool (Royal), narrow balconies uncomfortable to be on for very long .... I'm sailing on her in two weeks but it's a Transatlantic so in this case I wanted an "indoors" experience. I've heard good things about the buffet lol

With that said there are other Contemporary lines taking an opposite philosophy. MSC's Seaside looks brilliant, that ship is ALL about being outside.