The Baths or Brewer's Bay?

lennydebbie

We will be in Tortola in December for the first time and I'm researching what we should do. We will be in port from 8-6. I think I've narrowed it down to Brewer's Bay or the Baths. Is the Baths a must do? What is the best way to go about it if we do? Should we do NCL's excursion or try to wing it on our own? Seen mixed reviews about getting there and it being too crowded, etc. Just want to make the best of our time there!

Hi Lenny, Debbie - welcome to cruise critic! :)

Yes the Baths are unique, and I consider that a must-see when staying on Tortola or cruising there. When in Tortola on a cruise the experience can sometimes be affected because of the number of your fellow passengers with the same plan. But with your 10 hrs in port you can plan your day on Virgin Gorda to avoid the biggest crowd at the Baths.

You would want to do a self-excursion as it is very, very easy and less expensive than the cruise line excursion, and gives you the flexibility you need to better enjoy the Baths. The excursion includes a 10 minute walk to the ferry terminal (get directions at the dock), a 30 minute ferry to Virgin Gorda ($30pp round trip), and taxi fares are $4 – 5pp each way to the Top of the Baths.

You can’t avoid all of your fellow cruisers because you are all there at the same time. But you can work with a driver on VG and make a plan to be dropped off in Savannah Bay, for example, and have the driver return for you at a set time and drop you at the Top of the Baths when he/she recommends. It’s an inexpensive way to hit a couple spots and go to the Baths when the driver recommends. Drivers will be waiting at the ferry on Virgin Gorda, and most will want to load up with fares going to the Top of the Baths.Talk to the drivers and ask if one will work with you as described. They may have you ride to the Top of the Baths with everyone else and drop you somewhere.

Brewers Bay on Tortola is a very nice beach if you want an easier day, it can be very calm or very rough depending on the sea conditions that day.

I've read that the snorkeling trail is good there, no amenities that I'm aware of.

We stop at the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch, their "Cave In" drink, and the panoramic views but usually after we go to the beach or the Baths. Spanishtown is within walking distance of the ferry and you can shop or eat lunch at the Baths & Turtle as well.

If you want to make a real day of it you can rent a car or hire a driver and tour the North Sound. Google a map of VG to get an idea.

Most day visitors head straight for the Baths and deal with the crowd, then ferry back to Tortola for shopping or lunch at Pusser's Road Town Pub.