My Uber Experience - Anthem Port Liberty to Newark Airport (EWR) - $20.72

loudbmw

I debarked the Anthem on 3/26/17, did self assist and was through customs by 6:40 am. I opened the UBER app on my phone and made a request for the Newark Airport. At first, no cars were shown to be available in the area. I waited about 5 minutes and then one UBER X was shown doing a drop off nearby and was 15 minutes out. The fare quoted was $20.72 (including tolls).

I accepted and texted the driver which pick-up zone I was near. I noted his plate number and in exactly 15 minutes he arrived. Except for his GPS trying to send him in circles leaving the pier (I gave him better directions) the ride was a quick 20 minutes. Car was very clean but a little on the small side which would be tight for more than two people. Driver offered help with luggage and had lots of questions regarding the Port and ship as he had never done a pick-up there. I tipped in cash.

Suggestion for UBER (and other) pick ups at Port Liberty, don't go right as you exit the terminal as that was towards the taxi line and garage, instead go to the left to zones 1 to 5 which was empty since no one was arriving yet for the next sailing. Near zone 10, it was way to many people, not enough cabs. Some passionate discussion was being exchanged between guests as some people were jumping the poorly organized cab line. Cab drivers were packing as many people as possible in the cabs. Most appeared to be vans with no markings indicating cab or car service.

Thanks so much for your report. There's nothing like hearing about a first person experience!

For others who read this I would point out that you disembarked at 6:40 am on a Sunday morning. This would be the lowest traffic time of the week. Others who are scheduled to disembark Mon to Sat should realize that they could have a different experience, particularly if they get off a little later on a weekday morning.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for sharing your Uber experience. This appears to be the most cost effective way to get to and from Cape Liberty cruise terminal and Newark airport.

I've noticed on the boards there seem to be a lot of people against using uber and lyft. I live in NJ and when I go to NY, I get frustrated because a lot of the traditional taxis don't like to go to NJ. Sometimes if you hail a taxi and tell them you want to go to NJ, they will drive away. And if you use a car service, they charge a lot of money. I've used Uber before and couldn't be happier with the affordability and good service I get from them.

Edited by mikeriv79
typo