Walkie Talkies on Explorer?

They have them and they are more like cell phones. They cost $25 each for the week. DH and I waited until the middle of day 2 to get ours and we had no problems. My only warning is that if you were in a loud area it was hard to hear them ring, and no matter where you were it was hard to hear the person talking. It did help us find eachother a few times when we were off doing our own things though. I'd personally not get them again. I'd bring walkie talkies. You can hear them much better, they are smaller than the ship rental phones (think large cell phone), and I'm sure you can get them for about the same price. Also, the ship rental phones don't work off the ship.

My wife and I took our own radios on Explorer in September and although I thought they would be a good idea, we almost never used them. The times that we were apart, one of us would be in a loud area like the pool deck or something like that where we couldn't hear anything.

There's 5 of us going, so I don't want to invest in a buying a bunch of them. The ones on the ship, can you text message on them? Set them to vibrate? And where on the ship can we rent them?

The ones on the ship don't have text messaging. You get a 4 digit phone number similar to a room number and you can call phone-to-phone, phone-to-room, or room-to-phone. They can't be put on vibrate either. It's either hear them ring or not. We tried to find some way to turn the volume on the ringer and on the voice piece up and couldn't do it. You rent them at the pursers desk.

Archived