Fort Lauderdale pre cruise hotel after 22 hours travel

xxpinksaltxx

"Well...There's no nice way to say this...You're just wrong....About it all."

Really? I do not book last minute and 'll take my private Uber or even a taxi any day from just a mile or so away from the Port over a shared shuttle van from over 11 miles away - while paying less for it all.

And have you not eaten at Mini Pita across the street? Give it a try my friend.

Edited by SteerageJoe

A bit late I know, but don't book way in advance on a non-refundable basis as all sorts of deals keep coming up. I am staying in mid-December, always use hotels.com and pay in advance in my home currency and if I see a better deal I just cancel and re-book with the refund on the cancelled booking generally taking just 24 hours.

Although I am happy, for the time being, with my refundable booking at the Hilton Marina, I am still seeing tempting deals, albeit generally non-refundable.

For example, for my night in December, yesterday I was able to see the cheapest room at the Hyatt 66 available on a non-refundable basis for £80 (AUD$132 or $US100) including taxes.

Today, just one day later, the same room has gone up to £100, AUD$165 and $US 125 including taxes which just goes to show how the deals come and go.

All prices above from hotels.com and all earn 'Rewards' which will eventually, after ten nights, trigger 'Reward' credit to the value of 10% of the room costs of my ten nights before taxes (earlier this year in January my 'Rewards' paid for a free night at the Crown Plaza, Coogee Beach)

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Hi Corfe Mixture,

Yes totally agree with you. We currently have a few hotels per destination booked on "book now, pay later" offers.

We tend to book hotels that we are happy to stay at, but continue to look incase a better deal comes up. If not, we atleast know we have somewhere decent to stay, at a decent rate.

Sometimes we book via Hotwire, but only if I can work out the hotel. Sometimes, once you pay tax and recovery fees, the deal isn't as good as it seems.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

"Well...There's no nice way to say this...You're just wrong....About it all."

Really? I do not book last minute and 'll take my private Uber or even a taxi any day from just a mile or so away from the Port over a shared shuttle van from over 11 miles away - while paying less for it all.

And have you not eaten at Mini Pita across the street? Give it a try my friend.

In Reality, Candlewood Suites is 3 miles from Terminal 18 and the Hampton Inn Plantation is another 7 miles out I-595. What's another 10 minute drive to save $50 per night and be in a much nicer park like area that is safe to walk in? Marina Mile is an industrial area with semis, dump trucks, garbage trucks and lots of traffic running up and down the road.

And Hampton Inn has their own shuttle, not a 3rd party shared shuttle.

Mini Pita? Nah...I'll take Bokamper's Sports Bar & Grill or Brio Tuscan Grill or Fresh Healthy Cafe or Panda Express or Bones Barbecue or Duffy's or Macaroni Grill or The Whole Enchilada or Azteca Mexican or Rob's Barbecue or Chili's or Olive Garden or Red Lobster or TGIFriday's or IHOP or Parlor Vegan Bakery or EZ Bakery or Vignetos Italian Grill or World of Beer or...

Edited by Lido_Deck

In Reality, Candlewood Suites is 3 miles from Terminal 18 and the Hampton Inn Plantation is another 7 miles out I-595. What's another 10 minute drive to save $50 per night and be in a much nicer park like area that is safe to walk in? Marina Mile is an industrial area with semis, dump trucks, garbage trucks and lots of traffic running up and down the road.

In defense of Candlewood, it is a short cab/Uber to Anthony's Runway 84 or Lester's Diner, which are just as iconic as Rustic Inn and Tropical Acres. Rustic Inn is one of our favorite restaurants in So. Fla. I even got my wife and 9 year old son to both try frog legs and gator bites there (they both liked both).

The only thing that would concern me about staying in Plantation would be traffic. I drive 595 every day and traffic has gotten worse as the years have gone by. However if it is on a weekend then that is not a concern and if you could save $50 or more the extra distance is not such a big deal.

And I agree that a car rental might be a better choice to drive from Lauderdale to Orlando. By the time you go through security, etc.at the airport its about the same time wise and a one day one way rental plus gas might be cheaper than two plane tixs. You should be able to drop the car near Disney.

Enjoy your cruise/stay in the States. My wife's boss is an Aussie, she's been here over 40 years but still talks lovingly about it.

While I understand the convenience of booking a package that include transfers, you have to consider at least 4 factors:

1. Those vans are crowded with people and luggage.

2. You will stop at various ships to drop/pick - losing time

3. You are always on their schedule not your own

4. Nothing is FREE! Those shuttles generally cost more than Uber, etc.

Personally, I would opt for nice hotels near the port such as the Candlewood Suites (instead of further away at Plantation unless you actually want a night-time mall experience hoping your flight is not delayed!) and book the room without transfers. I've stayed there and others nearby and never paid more than $130 or so before taxes. Then use your savings to book private transport everywhere (Uber is great).

My husband spent one week at the Candlewood Suites and every single night I was there, there were hookers everywhere and especially the next morning doing the walk of shame. Lots of construction workers and other skilled laborers. Also, the area is horrible. Just horrible.

Well...There's no nice way to say this...You're just wrong....About it all.

1. The van pulls a small cargo trailer and all the luggage goes in there.

2. There are no pick ups at the port.

3. The Hampton Inn runs a shuttle every hour all morning and into the afternoon, so you can pick your schedule.

4. The Shuttle is included with the room just like breakfast.

I don't know what time of year you've stay at Candlewood Suites but this Friday the rates are $224 to $263 and Saturday is sold out. Also, the area leaves much to be desired, especially if you're there more than one night. I think I would rather be close to Total Wine than Big Daddy's Liquor. Choices of restaurants in the area around Candlewood Suites are limited to Wendy's, Lil Red's Bar-B-Que and Old Heidelberg, whereas there are literally dozens of choices of restaurants near the Hampton Inn in Plantation. It's not for everyone, but if the price is much lower than hotels close to the port, I agree with you, save your money.

I just hired a server from Old Heidelberg and she wrote that the reason she left were the unsanitary conditions at the restaurant. When a worker calls it bad, it is horrific.

Here you go again with the hooker story you've been posting about for years! LOL

I've never seen anyone resembling a hooker at this hotel, the Holiday Inn Express or the Hampton Inn across the road. Neither have folks on Tripadvisor or Yelp it seems. I see only happy cruisers and read generally great reviews!

Darn my poor eyesight and inability to spot hookers.

Where shall we tell budget-minded cruisers to stay so they can be protected from evil? Plantation maybe?

Edited by SteerageJoe

Here you go again with the hooker story you've been posting about for years! LOL

I've never seen anyone resembling a hooker at this hotel, the Holiday Inn Express or the Hampton Inn across the road. Neither have folks on Tripadvisor or Yelp it seems. I see only happy cruisers and read generally great reviews!

Darn my poor eyesight and inability to spot hookers.

Where shall we tell budget-minded cruisers to stay so they can be protected from evil? Plantation maybe?

Well, Joe...both of us live in Broward County and you visit, what, a couple times a year and may or may not stay in that area and Candlewood Suites? I drive through that area weekly, getting gas at the Race Trac, stopping at Wendy's, heading over to my warehouse behind Lester's and it's a very dismal, commercial, industrial area. It's right off I-95 on the opposite side of the Interstate from Rodeway and Ramada so you get lots of truckers and blue collar workers that stay at these properties and they tend to smoke. And they tend to smoke in the non-smoking rooms at the hotel, so there is always the stench of stale cigarette smoke in hallways and rooms of the low budget Interstate hotels. And guess what else you get at low budget hotels frequented by truck drivers located on the Interstate? Hookers. Just a fact of traveling and life.

Also, I don't get how you say you use Uber to get to Port Everglades. That begs the question...How did you get to Ft Lauderdale? I mean you live in the Port Canaveral area so you don't fly in, so how did you get here?

We are not talking about the Rodeway Inn (where I have never stayed). We are talking about the Holiday Inn and Candlewood and Hampton Inn (which are mostly cruise hotels) much further east on Marina Mile towards the Port!

Yes, I am talking about the Holiday Inn where the trucker in the second Trip Advisor link said he parked...

Roadway - Ramada - What's the difference?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50474759#post50474759

No, please accept the fact that the Holiday Inn Express, Candlewood and Hampton Inn on Marina Mile are cruise and airport hotels. These are not truck stops because parking is very limited and way too tight.

I cannot go in there with a larger tow because I cannot make the sharp turns at Candlewood and I cannot pass underneath the low entrance archway roof of the Holiday Inn. Let alone trying to turn around once inside!

I doubt that an 18-wheeler will even attempt it!

Here is a photo followed by an aerial. Bring your 18-wheeler and meet me there and I will buy you a drink if you can park it on a busy day at the Holiday Inn, then turn it around to exit!

Holiday-Inn-Express-Marina-Mile-1024x496.jpg

Holifday-Inn-parking-1024x503.jpg

Please just stop with the Marina Mile hotels. It is a crappy run down area and I wouldn't recommend it to families. A fact of life, the area is over run with hookers but you wouldn't know that because you don't live here.

If you like that area, fine, stay there. Just don't recommend it to others.

Those hotels are low rent.

FWIW, that is pretty desperate calling Lido and I the same person.

Please just stop with the Marina Mile hotels. It is a crappy run down area and I wouldn't recommend it to families. A fact of life, the area is over run with hookers but you wouldn't know that because you don't live here.

If you like that area, fine, stay there. Just don't recommend it to others.

Those hotels are low rent.

FWIW, that is pretty desperate calling Lido and I the same person.

I know, I know. :o My inability to spot hookers is embarrassing for me too!

But it seems many cruisers suffer from the same because they voted the Hampton Inn on the crappy run down Marina Mile as #9 out of 128 hotels in Fort Lauderdale!!!! Go figure!

Hampton Inn Tripadvisor Reviews!

The Holiday Inn Express on the crappy run down Marina Mile comes in at #13 out of 128! What? Are all these cruisers who vote nuts like me?

Holiday Inn Express Tripadvisor Reviews!

Ok, the Candlewood on the crappy run down Marina Mile is ranked #27 but still better than GalleryONE ranked at #33.

Candlewood Suites Tripadvisor Reviews!

So, my own experiences are clearly in sync with the masses. These are fine hotels for cruisers offered at good value very close to the Port and the conveniences of a grocery store, a few restaurants, fast food and a liquor store.

Sure, I would love to stay at the Ritz or Pillars instead but my go-and-fund-my-cruises campaign has no backers (yet).

No, please accept the fact that the Holiday Inn Express, Candlewood and Hampton Inn on Marina Mile are cruise and airport hotels. These are not truck stops because parking is very limited and way too tight.

I cannot go in there with a larger tow because I cannot make the sharp turns at Candlewood and I cannot pass underneath the low entrance archway roof of the Holiday Inn. Let alone trying to turn around once inside!

I doubt that an 18-wheeler will even attempt it!

Here is a photo followed by an aerial. Bring your 18-wheeler and meet me there and I will buy you a drink if you can park it on a busy day at the Holiday Inn, then turn it around to exit!

Holiday-Inn-Express-Marina-Mile-1024x496.jpg

Holifday-Inn-parking-1024x503.jpg

I know, I know. :o My inability to spot hookers is embarrassing for me too!

But it seems many cruisers suffer from the same because they voted the Hampton Inn on the crappy run down Marina Mile as #9 out of 128 hotels in Fort Lauderdale!!!! Go figure!

Hampton Inn Tripadvisor Reviews!

The Holiday Inn Express on the crappy run down Marina Mile comes in at #13 out of 128! What? Are all these cruisers who vote nuts like me?

Holiday Inn Express Tripadvisor Reviews!

Ok, the Candlewood on the crappy run down Marina Mile is ranked #27 but still better than GalleryONE ranked at #33.

Candlewood Suites Tripadvisor Reviews!

So, my own experiences are clearly in sync with the masses. These are fine hotels for cruisers offered at good value very close to the Port and the conveniences of a grocery store, a few restaurants, fast food and a liquor store.

Sure, I would love to stay at the Ritz or Pillars instead but my go-and-fund-my-cruises campaign has no backers (yet).

Yeah, yeah, whatever...Those rankings are meaningless with the Hilton Marina ranked at #55 and the Rodeway Inn at #62. Those three properties are decent, but there is no question the area leaves a lot to be desired, especially for tourists. They're an alright place to crash as long as the price in right. It's just a matter of preference.

Yeah, yeah, whatever...Those rankings are meaningless with the Hilton Marina ranked at #55 and the Rodeway Inn at #62. Those three properties are decent, but there is no question the area leaves a lot to be desired, especially for tourists. They're an alright place to crash as long as the price in right. It's just a matter of preference.

He's argued with me and Sharon also before convinced it is some upscale area. Even the yachties will not stay back there.

Good ole Joe has left this thread and moved on to participate in more interesting discussions than bantering with old grumpy Lido and the forum grinch BlueHerons.

He is looking forward to engage with them again in the near future! Until then,

Pew! Pew! Pew!

That's the sound of Joe blocking their negativity, whining, and selfrightious posts with his happiness shield!