Sleeping at Hotel in St. Petersburg while in Port

We are thinking of sleeping at a hotel in St. Petersburg while we are at port there overnight. Has anyone ever done this? We will be on the Norwegian Getaway and there June 7 and 8. Prior to purchasing our visas we were told we would need only a single entry visa for St. Petersburg since the ship is docked in St. Petersburg. We are also planning a post cruise visit to Moscow so we need a second entry into Russia. Unfortunately the cruise line was wrong in their advice to me, and since we only have double entry visas for Russia, we were thinking we might just stay overnight in a hotel there. Has anyone ever done this?

We are thinking of sleeping at a hotel in St. Petersburg while we are at port there overnight. Has anyone ever done this? We will be on the Norwegian Getaway and there June 7 and 8. Prior to purchasing our visas we were told we would need only a single entry visa for St. Petersburg since the ship is docked in St. Petersburg. We are also planning a post cruise visit to Moscow so we need a second entry into Russia. Unfortunately the cruise line was wrong in their advice to me, and since we only have double entry visas for Russia, we were thinking we might just stay overnight in a hotel there. Has anyone ever done this?

I've stayed in hotels in St. Petersburg but never while on a cruise. Don't think it would make any difference though whether you are on a cruise or arriving via air - the hotel would not care. I would pick a hotel near Nevsky/city center so that you can experience some night life in the city and/or dinner at a nice restaurant - it may work out to be a more pleasant experience than staying on your ship. :cool:

My only concern is whether it is permitted by the ship and if they would consider me "missing" like when you miss the ship at a port and they won't let you reboard. I do not have our reservation number yet because it is through a group and they have not received the numbers from the Ship yet.

My only concern is whether it is permitted by the ship and if they would consider me "missing" like when you miss the ship at a port and they won't let you reboard. I do not have our reservation number yet because it is through a group and they have not received the numbers from the Ship yet.

It should be no problem whatsoever. Just inform your ship - it is perfectly acceptable since you will hold a valid visa.

It should be no problem whatsoever. Just inform your ship - it is perfectly acceptable since you will hold a valid visa.

Agreed.

The vast majority of cruisers take advantage of the visa-free tours offered by the ship & by local tour operators, but one condition of a visa-free visit is that the cruiser overnites on the ship - a hotel would require sight of a visa.

But with that visa the OP can book into a hotel - just like the many thousands of tourists who arrive by air.

Yes, of course inform the ship.

And the cabin steward, who when servicing the cabin next morning might otherwise worry that you'd gone missing.

JB :)

If you are American citizens, you can apply for the 3 year multiple re-entry visa so that solved the problem. A double entry is "required" to enter twice, which is what you do each time you pass through passport control from the ship. BUT Immigration officers usually permit both entries, especially when with an organized tour.

For just one night it seems like a lot of expense, but the 3 year visa costs the same as a 72hr transit visa so it is a bargain if you plan to return.

The main street will be very crowded, many visitors don't venture away from it on foot so staying right on Nevsky Prospect is not recommended. 1-2 blocks north or south of the main street will be much quieter and more pleasant to walk around at night. There are so many events, festival, World Cup, and large symposiums this summer, being a little further away might be much more pleasant. It is going to be packed this summer, particularly on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

I have never been on a cruise and stayed in a hotel during the cruise. Has anyone?

We did this during an overnight call in the Seychelles. We were calling at Mahe, and we really wanted to visit Praslin and La Digue, so we grabbed an overnight bag and spent the night on Praslin instead of trying to get back to the ship.

I don't think we alerted anyone, except maybe our dinner tablemates. I don't think the ship cares much where people are at until they set sail. So it probably wouldn't occur to me to let them know that we were overnighting ashore unless we were planning to overland between ports and catch up with the ship at another location. (I have never done this, but it was offered as an official excursion option on our Southeast Asia cruise.)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going on that same tour Aug 6 th! We are touring eastern countries after our cruise!

"world cup is not until 2018" - true, but there will be a dress rehearsal (Confed Cup) this summer. So yes, it will be quite busy... If you are still considering overnighting in a hotel, you probably should book asap.

Spbstan: "but the 3 year visa costs the same as a 72hr transit visa so it is a bargain if you plan to return." - that is not quite the case any more ($144 vs 270 for in-person submittal), but still a way to go if you plan to return.