Royal Clipper for parents 50th in 2006

sunydaz

First time on this site. My siblings and our spouses are going to do a cruise with our parents to celebrate their 50th anniversary. We'll have approx. 10-12 total in party, with an age range of 38-76. Looking towards the Royal Clipper, likely after Christmas 2006 out of Barbados. Wondering if anyone has reviews on this itinerary from previous trips. We are pretty active for the kids, but Mom & Dad are slowing down a bit. I know they'll enjoy the crusie and being on board and will also have another couple, their oldest friends, joining them for the trip. I just want to be sure they can access the ports of call easily. I've been on this type of cruise before so I don't know the process for getting off the boat. Any advice or comments are welcome! Thanks....:)

Day

HOLIDAY SAILING 2006 (8 nights)

Saturday

Bridgetown, Barbados

Sunday

Captain's Best, Grenadines

Monday

Grenada

Tuesday

Tobago Cays

Wednesday

St Vincent (am), Bequia (pm)

Thursday

Dominica

Friday

Beach (am), Fort de France (pm), Martinique

Saturday

Marigot Bay (am), Soufriere (pm), St Lucia

Sunday

Bridgetown, Barbados

My husband and I were on the Royal Clipper out of Barbados for our honeymoon 3 years ago... personally I don't think it's a good choice for your parents 50th, unless they are very fit and active. I spent most of the cruise in my barefeet because the ship does have a lot of motion.... all ports are tendered and getting on and off the ships can be difficult if the seas are rough. The islands are small which is great, but if you don't snorkel or do "water things" there isn't a lot to do. The evenings onboard are not too structured and very quiet.

On the other hand, the food is great and there's a wonderful international mix of people... and because they sail instead of using engines it is the most beautiful peaceful cruise... which would give you excellent quality time together.

I guess I'm not much help?

Hello,

I agree with my predecessor. The Ilands are small but you have to tender very often or you will be often in not very nice industrial ports... You should really like watersports because there is not much to do otherwise. There is no need to help during sailing maneuvers and you can climb on the main mast to the first floor only... But that is probably not what your parents want.

I booked a so called Deluxe cabin and I had 7 defaults (one concerning security at see in certainly extreme situations). These dafaults spoiled my trip quite a bit... and only some of them got fixed on my request! But if you book a Deluxe cabin, there should be not all these defaults and no need to request fixing by the passenger! This shows a lack of maintenance!!! I don't want to go into details in public as the dispute over compensation with the company is not settled yet and the company refuses any concession (I have proves for a part of the defaults) at the moment, accusing instead myself having damaged the cabin... which is really the top.

So, maybe you better look for another company or ship, bt it's up to you to decide of cause.

Kai

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are taking our daughter, son-in-law, and three teenage granddaughters on the Royal Clipper next Christmas to celebrate our 50th anniversary. We've been on this cruise line three times and our whole family loves sailing. Using tenders poses no problems to use and we are in the 70-80 age group. Since we all love sailing, we can think of no better way to celebrate our anniversary.

• 4 months later...

Sorry, but if our kids arranged this type of a cruise on our 50th (we're pushing 37 years of marriage) I'd be thinking they'd booked it more with themselves in mind. We're pretty active and adventurous but thank you no. We'd rather have a little decadence and pampering and if we make it to the big silver one, I'd hope for something more in keeping with what we'd like. I'd look hard at your decision. You know your parents better than I do but it sounds like what you're planning is more appropriate for what you think the younger people in your group would want than for what your parents might enjoy. Perhaps one of the newer RCI ships with something for everyone?:confused:

First time on this site. My siblings and our spouses are going to do a cruise with our parents to celebrate their 50th anniversary. We'll have approx. 10-12 total in party, with an age range of 38-76. Looking towards the Royal Clipper, likely after Christmas 2006 out of Barbados. Wondering if anyone has reviews on this itinerary from previous trips. We are pretty active for the kids, but Mom & Dad are slowing down a bit. I know they'll enjoy the crusie and being on board and will also have another couple, their oldest friends, joining them for the trip. I just want to be sure they can access the ports of call easily. I've been on this type of cruise before so I don't know the process for getting off the boat. Any advice or comments are welcome! Thanks....:)

Day

HOLIDAY SAILING 2006 (8 nights)

Saturday

Bridgetown, Barbados

Sunday

Captain's Best, Grenadines

Monday

Grenada

Tuesday

Tobago Cays

Wednesday

St Vincent (am), Bequia (pm)

Thursday

Dominica

Friday

Beach (am), Fort de France (pm), Martinique

Saturday

Marigot Bay (am), Soufriere (pm), St Lucia

Sunday

Bridgetown, Barbados

My wife and I sailed the Star Flyer last summer from Athens to the Greek Isles. There was a family from Sweden on board (over 20 folks). They were celebrating someone's 80th birthday. They were wonderful people and had a great time. Ages from the 20's to 80's.

Archived