May 2006 - Best Bear Viewing Suggestions

TeeBuccs

Am looking for experienced Alaskan travelers opinions. This is my first trip to Alaska and I want to do it up right. Will be sailing RCCL and seeking advice as to best places to see bears in late May - Early June. I know it is early in the season, but I really hope to see as many critters as possible. Has anyone had great success at any particular locations?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! :D

You are too early for any bear tours on the Inside Passage. Only possible area in my opinion would be to drive the Klondike Highway to Emerald Lake and take all day from Skagway. Print out Murray's log http://www.explorenorth.com

I saw a fleeting glance in May- less than a minute view of a black bear. Expect no sightings and anything seen a bonus.

TBUCCS

Budget Queen has lots of good information. This is my experience and I have been to Alaska twice recently and acturally live in Alaska some 30 years ago. While living in Anchorage for three and a half years the only bears I saw was at the Anchorage Zoo. However on May 29th 2003 the wife and I rented a car in Skagway and headed for Emerald lake. Wonderful dive stoping at Carcross on the way to Emerald Lake. At Emerald Lake Lodge we had some of their apple cobbler which was supose to be the bestest in the west. It was pretty good, I'd order it again if I were at Emerald Lake. On the way back to the ship I remember seeing Bald Eagles flying in circles but didn't see any bears. That is untill we got passed Carcross and came over a hill and off to the side of the road was a mother and two cubs roaming around. I stoped the car and got our to take some pictureS while the wife hung out of the car window screaming at me "THOSE ARE REAL BEARS, DO ;YOU WANT TO DIE! The bears seemed to ignor us and I stayed my distance while the wife stayed in the car still yelling "YOUR CRAZY" I know I'm crazy I've been married to the same women for over 30 years. Acturally she herd to many bear stories when we lived in Anchorage many years ago, other than that she's a pretty good woment to be around. My advice would be to do the Emeral Lake thing and keep a close eye out for wild life. That day on our way back from Emerald Lake we acturally saw 6 bears. Good luck I hope this helps. Tim

Are there any bears to be seen the middle of September? Any that time to be seen do you think if we rented a car in Skagway and went on Murrey's route up the Emerald lake?

This timeframe is usually too late for the tours out of Ketchikan and no bears likely on the Klondike Highway.

Are you going interior Alaska?? Possible in Denali Park IF you are there before the shuttles stop- around mid Sept.

I don't see that you are taking round trip or one way and that makes difference. There are flyin trips in late May-early June to Kodiak Island, or Katmai from Anchorage. They are expensive but very nice. Rust Flying Service is one company that does this. Also lots of flyins from Homer such as Emerald Air and Hallo Bay.

As for bears in inside passage, they would be chance sitings along lower roads and highways and beaches as they come down to eat seggrasses. Murray would have more specifics on this and I don't have reference right in front of me, but pretty sure that is what I have read. The big rush of bears comes with timing of salmon runs at different times in each area each year and for different types of salmon.

Bears seen from the Klondike Highway- by chance is over by mid June since the snow melts and the bears are off to higher ground. Best time is May since the snow concentrates the bears on lower gound for food.

Pack Creek tours out of Juneau is your best option for browns. Alaska Fly N Fish is the operator with permits.

Archived