Take passport off ship or use safe?

Lol, don’t think you’ll be arrested for not having photo ID on you in Canada.

We were on a cruise that stopped on Barcelona and we were told we had to take our passports with us. 14 people lost their passports that cruise! The pickpockets are busy. We don’t take our passports out of the safe unless required to and if so we carry them in a money belt under our clothes. We also only carry a small amount of money in a throwaway wallet, as we have been pickpocketed once in Sicily, but my DH caught the guy and wouldn’t let him go until he got his throwaway back.

Edited by bennybear
Typo

Lol, don’t think you’ll be arrested for not having photo ID on you in Canada.

We were on a cruise that stopped on Barcelona and we were told we had to take our passports with us. 14 people lost their passports that cruise! The pickpockets are busy. We don’t take our passports out of the safe unless required to and if so we carry them in a money belt under our clothes. We also only carry a small amount of money in a throwaway wallet, as we have been pickpocketed once in Sicily, but my DH caught the guy and wouldn’t let him go until he got his throwaway back.

We were two couples in our 60s doing the typical sightseeing stuff in Talin, Estonia several years back. We were in a line of people walking up a long set of narrow steps, with the wives a few people ahead of my buddy and I. Suddenly two young men pushed their way passed us, hurriedly walking up the steps. Something made me suspicious about those two, so I shouted to our wives ahead of us "Watch your purses". The two men instantly turned around and almost ran back down the steps.

Not sure if we avoided a pickpocket situation, but it sure appeared like it.

Pickpockets are busy almost everywhere tourists visit, so always be vigilant.

Edited by sloopsailor