Renaissance 17th St. Question...Any Damage?

Mlascheid

Just won this hotel post-cruise Dec.18 for $66...and very happy about it. My question is ...how did the Renaissance weather hurricane Wilma? Any damage? Is the pool open (biggest question as we have 2 young kids who love to swim)? Thanks! :)

Renaissance on SE 17th Street is fine, and the pool is open. It's a GREAT hotel! IMO it's the nicest hotel on SE 17th Street. The entrance to Port Everglades is just across the street, and there are dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores as well as the very popular Water Taxi all within safe, easy walking distance.

The only damage to the hotel is some roof damage to a building off the lobby/entrance, but nothing that's going to have any effect on anyone staying there. The hotel tower was not damaged at all, and the pool was quite busy as I went past a few days ago.

Thanks so much Trent...with a 3 and 6 year old, having a hotel with a pool ranks pretty high!:). We will be glad to just take our time getting off the ship, finding our way across the street to the Renaissance and spending our last day of vacation relaxing by the pool! One last question...does my memory serve me right...is Bimini Boatyard right next door?? We ate there a couple of years ago and I thought I saw a hotel next door.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of our questions about the area. It is very helpful to so many of us.

One last question...does my memory serve me right...is Bimini Boatyard right next door?? We ate there a couple of years ago and I thought I saw a hotel next door.

Yes, you saw the Renaissance from Bimini Boatyard... Bimini Boatyard and Bravo [http://www.bravoitaliano.com/] are both in the same strip mall as the Renaissance.

Yes, even though the entrance is just across the street you'll still need a cab. Due to the way security is set up and the size of the port it's not walkable, especially with luggage. It's about a $5-10 fare depending on where your ship is docked. Jewel of the Seas is normally docked at the far end of the port, so expect about a $10 cab fare.

I stayed there last week. The pool is fine.. and open. When you head up to the room floors you will notice that the hall lights do not have any shades.... Wilma's handiwork.

The rooms are all fine.

We had dinner at the Bimini Boatyard.. it's slipping. Food was merely adequate and the service left much to be desired.

Chuck's Steakhouse a couple of blocks down was much better.

Watch for the cookies.... usually appear about 5pm or so.. and disappear about 10!! YUM!!

Thanks for the info on Bimini Boatyard. We haven't been there for about 2 years. We have a Bravo very close to us at home and know that it is usually very consistent. Wouldn't mind going there, but was hoping to find a good seafood restaurant within walking distance. Any other seafood suggestions?

Archived