Can cruise line passengers book their own tours

Sachmo

" My choice would be to buy a DK guide which always has great 3D maps. "

The DK guide is from 2013 which means it was written in 2012. (Of course, the maps are unlikely to change, but info has radically changed for all guidebooks.) afaik the Lonely Planet guide is the most up to date for Cuba. And a good insider one is Real Havana for that city.

Not even close. Publication dates per Amazon:

• Lonely Planet Cuba 9/1/2015
  • The Rough Guide to Cuba 11/15/2016
  • DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Cuba 10/6/2015
  • DK Top 10 Cuba 1/17/2017
  • Nat Geo Traveler: Cuba 2/7/2017
  • Fodor's Cuba 12/8/2015
  • Frommer's EasyGuide to Cuba 12/8/2015

Real Havana has a publication date of 04/29/2014.

How nice of you to do all that research.(Afaik actually meant afai knew before my first trip last September when I was shopping for guidebooks. LOL.)

The DK date was what showed up on An Amazon search.

It takes a year to get a guidebook out on the market after it's been researched, and as fast as things are changing vis-a-vis Cuba, IMO they're all out of date.

Btw, Real Havana, the guide for those in Havana who want to experience life like a local, has a 2017 edition. You can download a version of it or get the paperback.

Certain guidebook series seem targeted toward certain types of travelers.

I don't find the Top10 guides useful.

Not aware of the Nationsl Geographic guides. Will check them out.

Doesn't Rick Steves have a Cuba guide out now too?

Thank you for taking the time to give your advice on Cuba. It is much appreciated and valuable.

Any guide book is valuable in getting background information on the history of a country - though like many history books, you have to be careful.

And yes, google Rick Steves webpage. He has some stuff there to view and read.

We are using Havana Journey's on May 5th they were able to pick us up at the port. What I was told by Havana Tours was that they couldn't pick us up from the port. And we would have to make our way to a hotel for pick up

How did your experience go with Havana Journey's? We booked them for our July 3rd cruise. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. I hope you had a great time :)

How did your experience go with Havana Journey's? We booked them for our July 3rd cruise. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. I hope you had a great time :)

I booked with them as well for 04 July. Just emailed them to make sure they will wait if it takes extra time to debark, clear immigration, and complete the money exchange.

The requirements are a total farce. No one is checking, no one has been checking for decades, and no one will be checking, since there is no money and no manpower to do so. And how would a US government office check any info about Cuban citizens (guides, etc)?

Just do what interests you.

So we will be fine checking the #2 box, getting off the boat and doing our own thing? We will be there on 5/22/2017. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...