Visiting Bath during the Jane Austen festival

My husband and I had planned a low key overnight stay in Bath following our cruise. I just found out that we are due to arrive at the start of the Jane Austen festival. From what I read, this is a pretty big deal. Seems that it attracts a fairly large number of participants. It's not that I'm not a fan of her writing but as I said this was to be a low key, wander the streets and hang out in the park and roman baths visit. My DIL is a huge fan and missed the festival by just a couple of weeks last year. She is envious of our "luck". Me, I'm not so sure.

Can anyone advise if it is still possible to wander fairly uneffected by the festival? Or do you really need to be a part of things. I have no intention of donning costume or attending functions, but are the restaurants and baths still open and accessible to those not interested in the event? We don't mind it going on around us, but still want to enjoy Bath and see the sites.

Apart from a costumed procession through the streets on 9th September, which might be fun to watch, and a Grand Ball in the Pump Rooms and Baths on 15th, most of the events will be held in meting halls, libraries etc. They are expecting 4000 participants over the course of the festival, which is nothing compared with the vast numbers of tourists who visit for other reasons. Bath is always crowded, it is a tourist hotspot and the Baths, restaurants will all be open so you shouldn't be affected. You may see some people wandering in G3orgian drss, but that will just add to the local colour.

Thank you very much for the quick replies. We have had our hotel booked for a couple of months already so no issue there. I was just leery of the 4000 participants along with the normal throng of tourists of which I am very excited to be a part of.

One of Bath's principal industries is tourism, with annually more than one million staying visitors and 3.8 million day visitors. Most of these would visit during the summer, so perhaps that gives some perspective to 4000 Jane Austen enthusiasts.

Be careful -- those Austenites are a pretty disreputable bunch! :D They'll be running amok throughout Bath, from the Royal Crescent to the Parade Gardens! ;p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udv8z9tURg

During the festival, I generally closet myself in the library with a good book and let Mrs Bennet and the girls cavort with the crowds and frolic at the festival ball.

Fortunately, Lady Catherine de Bourgh will be on hand to keep order.

(Hmmm... Mr Darcy is keeping aloof as ever. And I see neither Lydia nor Mr Wickham in attendance here. Where are they? I wonder...)

While I wouldn't mind meeting up with Elinor Dashwood, I'm just not sure that I would be up to Marianne's drama right after my 12 night cruise. And I must admit a little crush on Edward Ferrars, but I don't think I would want to run into him with my husband along. I fear too that I may want to smack Mr Willoughby If I were to run into him at the Parade gardens and end up arrested for creating a public scene. I have too much Pride for that sort of Prejudice.

Thanks so much for the youtube links.

Bath is always pretty busy during the tourist season, so you shouldn't find it worse than it is normally.

I would recommend that you check out the free walking tours of Bath, led by the Major of Bath Honorary Guides, see http://www.visitbath.co.uk

I lived near Bath for 25 years and did the walk every year, always found out something new, or saw some interesting sight that I had walked past all year and not noticed. Have a great time

Bath is always pretty busy during the tourist season, so you shouldn't find it worse than it is normally.

I would recommend that you check out the free walking tours of Bath, led by the Major of Bath Honorary Guides, see www.visitbath.co.uk

I lived near Bath for 25 years and did the walk every year, always found out something new, or saw some interesting sight that I had walked past all year and not noticed. Have a great time

Thanks for the link, seems to have a lot of good information. I'll look into the walking tours.