Declare your own jewelry?

sylram

Hi. 1st cruise almost here - the "Cruise Answer Book" says: "To avoid having to pay customs tax on previously-owned property upon re-entry, US residents shld have a receipt for, or shld register w/customs prior to departure, their cameras, expensive jewelry, video cameras, radios, etc." Has anyone done that? Do you really have to? Can't you just bring your jewelry in a carry-on or even in your purse? (especially if it's not really expensive, just looks it)?

We have never had a problem with this. Even when we bought jewelry we just wore it off of the ship. If you have it in fancy store bought boxes it may raise some eyebrows. We always seem to update our camera equipment while in St. Martin. We have never declared it, never had a problem (probably will after this post)!!

There was a recent bit of trouble about this to one cruiser who posted here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=256544

That said, I have only filled out this form once in twenty years of international travel. Was easy to get customs signature at the port or airport, but you do have to make time to do it.

In 41 cruises, I've never, ever registered my jewelry. I did register my new camera because I was traveling to Hong Kong, and Customs are really picky about electronics especially if you're traveling to places like Singapore and Hong Kong, where electronics are very cheap.

I've only been on 2 cruises. One to Bermuda and the other was supposed to go to Nassau, but hurricane Jeanne was there. We took my new camera and I took along the receipt. We didn't declare it and when you get off the ship in New York, you think they are going to practically scan each person for what they are bringing home. Not so. They are too busy with about 2,000 passengers passing them by. We just went through a gate where they asked us if we had anything to declare. We said no and walked by. That was it. We did have a half consumed bottle of liquor we bought in Bermuda, but since we drank half we didn't see the point in declaring it. Besides, it didn't cost much. The day you get off the ship to go home is a crowded busy one. Imagine the entire ship getting off looking for luggage, etc. It's hectic. Officials stand around looking like they are trying to do their work, but it's impossible. I think as long as you take receipts for expensive jewelry and have them handy, you'll do fine. The second cruise we took went in and out of Miami --- another busy port. Once again too many people rushing towards customs officials. 2,000 people pretty much all at once.

Archived