W. Carib. on Star or E. Carib. on Caribbean

serene sea

If there is anyone who has experienced sailing with children on western caribbean (Grand Cayman & Cozumel) or the eastern caribbean (St. Thomas & St. Maarteen) would you say one was preferred more than the other? If yes, which one and why? Being the Star will be 3 years old next year and the Caribbean only 1 year old, should I be concerned as far as cleaniness and maintenance of the ship? Any feedback from anyone who has sailed both ships would be much appreciated.

Personally, I think you'd be better off with the Eastern Cruise. You get one more day at sea, which is always nice. It seems to me, too, that the passengers on Eastern cruises seem a little more laid back, while the Western cruise is more party-oriented. That's just my observation, mind you. The Caribbean Princess is a little better suited for families, but the differences aren't huge.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Spongerob, thank you. Funny about the party oriented scene, because someone who has just returned from the Caribbean Princess doing a western itenerary complained about drunken teens just like the ship's first sailing which was also western. Any info on how the Caribbean is better suited for families? What I do not understand is why Princess does not have connecting cabins on grand class ships.

We are doing the Star Eastern Caribbean in February. We went to Alaska last July on the Star, it is a beautiful ship and very well maintained.

Spongerob, I see you are from Edmond, I will be in Edmond, OK Friday-Sunday to do the Endeavor Wheelchair games.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;2;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Star Princess - Eastern Caribbean

Star Princess 7/03(Alaska)

I just completed both itineraries on the Caribbean Princess. The Western is definitely a younger crowd with a lot more kids - I think there were about 600 this past week. But we did not experience any real issues - just noticed more teenagers.

And there are two family suites on the ship....D105 and D106......they are connecting staterooms. But I bet they book quickly!

Caribbean Princess is WONDERFUL!! Review coming soon!

Jamie

Caribbean Princess - 5/22/04

Caribbean Princess - 5/29/04

Star Princess - 5/03

Star Princess - 5/02

Grand Princess - 6/01

Grand Princess - 5/00

Grand Princess - 8/98

Dawn Princess - 5/97

Sun Princess - 5/96

Sun Princess - 12/95

Serene Sea, the Caribbean Princess has an expanded childrens' area and the Movies Under the Stars. One of the movie nights is a kids' night. I believe that the ship was built to accomodate the increasing number of families that are taking up cruising.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Serene Seas,

Yes I have been on both the Star and the Caribbean with my niece. She is 3 years old. The kids area is very similar on both ships. Last year she could not participate but this year she was old enough. She did not spend a lot of time in the program but could have been there everyday from 9am-12pm, 2pm-5pm and 7pm-10pm. The kids counselors were great and the play areas are wonderful!! We were very impressed. The kids are divided by age groups and seem to have a lot of fun.

I hope this helps!!

Jamie

Upcoming:

Island Princess - 4/05

Completed:

Caribbean Princess - 5/04

Caribbean Princess - 5/04

Star Princess - 5/03

Star Princess - 5/02

Grand Princess - 6/01

Grand Princess - 5/00

Grand Princess - 8/98

Dawn Princess - 5/97

Sun Princess - 5/96

Sun Princess - 12/95

Eastern. St. Maarten is the best place in the Caribbean.

All the best!

Jay & Karen Turner

Mount Hope, Ontario

Westerdam 12/93

Statendam 10/95

Zenith 05/96

Westerdam 05/97

Norway 10/97

Westerdam 10/98

Sun Princess 10/99

Volendam 10/00

Volendam 10/01

Century 10/02

Zuiderdam 05/03

Caribbean Princess 05/04

I think Spongerob had the right differences. Eastern has more sea days and the shopping port of St. Thomas. Western has the active ports of Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

As for the comments above about the younger crowd being on the Western, timing may be a big factor. The first sailing of the CP with lots of noisy teens was spring break week for most schools. Likewise, last week was the first week out of school for us and many others and it was a holiday week. So we had more kids on the Western sailing than the previous week's Eastern sailing when most kids were in school.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived