Quick question for those who have been to Harvest Caye

perditax

I'm reading that the walk from the dock is a full half-mile (although I see that it's covered). I like getting in my walking on a cruise to help burn off the calories, but I consider the pier shuffle to be wasted mileage on my feet--not too much to see, would rather do the walking in town/port, or wandering around the ship at night and people-watching.

I've read the less than stellar reviews of Harvest Caye and I don't see myself spending a lot of time there, but it might be nice to get off the ship and into a larger free pool.

The questions:

Can I bring my own water bottle since there are no complimentary food/bev options?

Is there any kind of shuttle or pedicabs for the pier?

Thanks!

There is a shuttle that goes back & forth between the pier & the ship continuously.

I did see people bringing water bottles off the boat.. I can't see why they would stop you from doing that but I could be wrong since we didn't do it.

I think I remember someone posting that they brought 'spiced' water in their water bottle with no problem:D

I really enjoyed Harvest Caye..but I realize that not everyone enjoys the same things...

Cheers & happy sailing,

Sandy

Our cruise on the NCL Dawn out of New Orleans stopped at Harvest Caye on 3/2/17. Ate a late breakfast, stopped by the bar to fill our large Yeti Mugs (free UBP), and rode the trolley to the Island. No problem at all walking off the ship with them. Swam in the large fresh water pool, and then went to the beach. A lot of seaweed there.Not many places to shop. After 3 hours, decided to ride the trolley back to an almost empty ship. After lunch we chose to stay onboard, instead of going back.

Our cruise on the NCL Dawn out of New Orleans stopped at Harvest Caye on 3/2/17. Ate a late breakfast, stopped by the bar to fill our large Yeti Mugs (free UBP), and rode the trolley to the Island. No problem at all walking off the ship with them. Swam in the large fresh water pool, and then went to the beach. A lot of seaweed there.Not many places to shop. After 3 hours, decided to ride the trolley back to an almost empty ship. After lunch we chose to stay onboard, instead of going back.

This sounds like a perfect Plan! Glad to hear the BYOB wasn't a problem. We have the UBP too.

Helllo

We loved Harvest Caye and used it as our beach day. The beach area is big and was very nice. Water was a tad rough the day we were there, the sand is shell and rocks, otherwise it was great!

It is a long walk from pier to the entrance, I don't like to walk, but it wasn't too bad. They also have the transportion back and forth. As far as shopping, it is just a few shops set up for the private island itself. We got trinkets. They had sunblock (pricey) and I think a Harley store, etc...

The pool area was huge and super nice. A great alternative to the beach. The pool is worth getting off the boat. It has a wade into area and also benches in the water to "sit on the edge" There is also a pool bar that stayed pretty hopping. Remember you pay for EVERYTHING on the island to eat and drink.

I feel you could carry off a beach tote full of food, as they never checked our bags upon leaving the Getaway. Def can take Water bottles. Just get rid of food and drink before boarding again as they scan your bags!

We splurged and ate at Land Shark Grill. We should've split the club sandwhich, it was HUGE. Prices typical and we charged to our room key there.

Nature park was a nice, quick walk thru. Nice touch. Def get off the boat and see what the island is about, it was great!

In answer to OP's questions. There is a tram to get you to the island. You can take your water bottle off the ship in any port. Just empty it before you come back on board.

I'm reading that the walk from the dock is a full half-mile (although I see that it's covered). I like getting in my walking on a cruise to help burn off the calories, but I consider the pier shuffle to be wasted mileage on my feet--not too much to see, would rather do the walking in town/port, or wandering around the ship at night and people-watching.

I've read the less than stellar reviews of Harvest Caye and I don't see myself spending a lot of time there, but it might be nice to get off the ship and into a larger free pool.

The questions:

Can I bring my own water bottle since there are no complimentary food/bev options?

Is there any kind of shuttle or pedicabs for the pier?

Thanks!

The golf cart tram ran continuously back and forth when we were there last month. We filled our big thermals up with UBP on ship and took off no problem at each port. They do NOT care what you take off at ports just can't bring anything back on! You can even take cart tram back and forth easily to refill drink on ship or eat easily. We saw several people carrying Yeti thermal type cups like ours and doing just that.

We enjoyed Harvest Caye. It was clean and plenty of beach chairs and huge pool.

So if you have the UBP they will fill up your travel mugs with drinks like wine to take off the ship or elsewhere??? I would have thought they wouldn't do that. But awesome if they do.

We were at Harvest Caye in March on Getaway.

We found this YouTube video to be VERY helpful. Click on "Show More" below the video to see information on walking distances, etc. Harvest Caye YouTube Video

We took this picture of the "shuttle" you can ride to/from the ship.... HC Shuttle I believe there was a "tip" jar on the shuttle.

We walked around the island but ended up spending our day in the pool which was absolutely wonderful. Go about half way down this webpage for comments on Harvest Caye... Cruise Webpage And here is a video we made of the pool area... HC Pool (click on the little arrow in the center to see video)

FWIW, here is our composite video for the entire cruise....

(did lots of time lapse videos of port arrivals and departures)

Have a great cruise.....

Edited by PorkChopKid

So if you have the UBP they will fill up your travel mugs with drinks like wine to take off the ship or elsewhere??? I would have thought they wouldn't do that. But awesome if they do.

They won't fill your actual mug but they would hand to us, we would pour in our mug and then stop at the next closest bar on way off and grab another one to pour in mug. Some of the bar tenders would give you 2 drinks at a time and others would make you "wait" a few minutes before getting another one. We actually did that most of the time while even on the ship to avoid having to go back to bar all the time. It was handy to fill the mug and sip on that for a while. :) Several people carrying around "Yeti" type mugs doing that. I took a full "morning" Mudslide off the ship at each port in my Yeti with no questions ask. Went back twice during our Harvest Caye day and refilled. Worked out great.

They won't fill your actual mug but they would hand to us, we would pour in our mug and then stop at the next closest bar on way off and grab another one to pour in mug. Some of the bar tenders would give you 2 drinks at a time and others would make you "wait" a few minutes before getting another one. We actually did that most of the time while even on the ship to avoid having to go back to bar all the time. It was handy to fill the mug and sip on that for a while. :) Several people carrying around "Yeti" type mugs doing that. I took a full "morning" Mudslide off the ship at each port in my Yeti with no questions ask. Went back twice during our Harvest Caye day and refilled. Worked out great.
That's what I thought and actually what I was planning on doing. Thanks! :)