Adequate compensation for disrupted travel plans?

BrendaJ

What is fairly offered for compensation is very dependent on the circumstances and the individuals affected.

First, I would never buy "cancel for any reason" insurance, since in this case you are actually insuring that the company will follow through on its commitment. I won't pay to insure them.

If a cruise had been over sold, then they should make as attractive offer as they feel will entice enough passengers to re-book. They should contact the last to book passengers in the same class first. If there are upgraded cabins or suites available, they should offer it to the passengers being changed. If the passengers refuse, they should move on to the next in line. If enough people do not take them up on the offer, they should sweeten the deal until they do.

Under NO circumstances is it, in my opinion, acceptable to favor a celebrity or officer/stock holder/employee of the cruise line over a paying passenger who previously booked. If a specific cabin is an issue, then the original passenger should be offered an incentive to be moved to another cabin or date but in NO way coerced or forcibly bumped. In my opinion that is subject for litigation.

In the event of mechanical or weather problems where a cruise is cancelled, re-routed or shortened...that happens. There is always such a risk. All the compensation I have read being offered seems very reasonable. It is disappointing in some cases, but understandable and not the fault of the cruise line. It these cases they are being responsible.

The reason I suggested "cancel for any reason" insurance in my original reply is because it gives you more leverage as a consumer to deal with unforeseen circumstances. In the case of the Summit dry dock, one of the cruises was shortened to 4 days. People with standard insurance could not be reimbursed if they wanted to cancel the whole trip rather than fly to San Juan for a 4 day cruise because Celebrity didn't cancel the whole cruise (they just refunded the days that were canceled). Not having "cancel for any reason" insurance means that you're accepting that type of risk. It's a rare risk, but a risk nonetheless. Obviously each individual will need to make that determination based on their own risk tolerance.

My experience with the RCI cancel for any reason and get a 100% refund. Yes, the RCI employee did state I would get 100% back. Did I? No.

Missed a cruise due to Hurricane Matthew. By the time we confirmed the port of Miami was open, parts of I95 were closed - we only live four hours away.

Port fees and the prepaid gratuities were automatically refunded within two days of cruise completion to my credit card.

The insurer stated hurricanes were not covered; however, RCI was to be contacted as it was their policy and we would receive our refund within a month's time. Check? No.

We received two vouchers, totaling 75% of remaining charges, of course minus all C&A discounts, to be used for credit on any cruise, with some exclusions including holiday cruises.

Can only show that cancel for any reason and get a full refund might or might not get you your 'money' back if you get bumped without compensation.

We were bumped down from guaranty balcony to inside for the cost of taxes, tips and insurance. To change to an acceptable cabin and new date, RCI required we pay more for a lesser cabin. My husband put up such a fuss, that they gave us OBC equal to the higher payment. We could have paid $800 with $400 OBC for an equal cabin. I was flat out told they wouldn't comp us up due to the cost. I kept saying I don't want to pay more and this overbooking was an RCI error and they should put the customer ahead of profit.

I see overbooking becoming the norm. At least Princess has a move over program in place. Other lines should follow suit or implement something that doesn't insult the customer when the cruise line overlooks or cancels cruises due to maintenance, charters etc.

I've noticed cruise lines seem to have started a 25% coupon (many times including a cash refund) towards a next cruise due to emergencies or last minute weather changes- they can and should come up with a policy to cover mistakes they make.