What Would It Take?

MollyBrown

What would it take for you to give up on QM2 to get accross the Atlantic and take up flying again?

How many times have you been told one thing by Cunard, only to find the opposite is true, etc.? Because of this I may have to completely change my travel plans, through no fault of my own---I did what they told me...

It's beginning to seem simpler to jump on a plane, and make sure it's First Class, damn it...

Well, it remains to be seen

Well, my guess is that after a few tries dealing with equally inept airline customer service, you'll come running back to the QUEEN :) ...

Not to mention the pain of dealing with airport security, airport baggage, You can't take this in your packed luggage and you can't take that in your carry on! God save the smoker (and no, I am not one- A close encounter with death with a complete respiratory failure was what inspired my first cruise many years ago) Now, not only can you not take or pack lighters, God forbid they catch you carrying matches either! I guess you're supposed to carry a flint and some dried grasses for that three hour stopover in some airport, or while the luggage department is finding out they sent your suitcase to Peoria!

Oh, And don't forget- bring your own food, probably, (but no knife to cut your apples and cheeses with) and bathroom only when the Captain says its safe to get up and move about the cabin..., If there's not a long line or a drink cart in your way! Don't forget the screaming infant twins in the seat in front of you (and their harried mother- pity the poor lady) and the bored brat kicking your seat from behind. Oh, And I hope you don't mind your knees in your teeth!

Sure! Go ahead! Fly!

Just be sure to get there three hours before your flight, bring shoes you can take off and put on easy for TSA, I hope standing in line to get inspected doesn't bother you or give your legs shooting pains!

And make sure you luggage doeesn't weigh more than 50 pounds for each of your two suitcases! (and you don't get to have cocktails with the captain or dance to live music, either!)

Molly:

Sorry to hear that you've had a difficult time of it with Cunard....I have two points to offer up:

(1) I am the son of a 40-year career airline employee father. I love airplanes BUT in my opinion flying can never compare with crossing the Atlantic by ship. I stand by that statement in general and in particular with regard to flying eastbound USA to Europe through the night. (The worst for me as I can't sleep on planes)

In a perfect world (unlimited time & money for me) I'd even sail aboard a container ship or freighter (by choice mind you, and very happily) before flying transatlantic. When I travel to the UK I do have to fly one direction but happily get to sail the other way with the guys with the orange funnel.

(2) I keep reading the complaints, here on the CC boards, of regular QE2/QM2 passengers, unhappy with the Cunard reps. In no way whatsoever do I disregard your obvious displeasure or challenge what you hint at (I don't know the details for starters), but I am surprised because in my personal experience the Cunard rep with whom I deal is always absolutely wonderful !!!!

Obviously you and others have not been lucky enough to deal with this exceptional talent. It shouldn't matter, however, as they all should be efficient, and good at their job.

Good luck, Molly !!

Tom

You have my sympathy Molly.

After nineteen cruises and crossings with Cunard, on eight different ships, we're starting to feel that the hassles of doing business with the company are starting to outweigh the outstanding on-board experience.

We have one booked for February but no plans for anymore after that. As a means of getting across the pond though, it can't be beaten. That's probably the only reason that would bring us back.

Regards, Colin.

Well, my guess is that after a few tries dealing with equally inept airline customer service, you'll come running back to the QUEEN :) ...

No doubt about it, the experience of ship travel across the Atlantic is far more enjoyable in every way than flying these days.

Molly:

Sorry to hear that you've had a difficult time of it with Cunard....I have two points to offer up:

(1) I am the son of a 40-year career airline employee father. I love airplanes BUT in my opinion flying can never compare with crossing the Atlantic by ship.

In a perfect world (unlimited time & money for me) I'd even sail aboard a container ship or freighter (by choice mind you, and very happily) before flying transatlantic.

...I am surprised because in my personal experience the Cunard rep with whom I deal is always absolutely wonderful !!!!

Good luck, Molly !!

Tom

Thanks Tom. It's a toss up with Cunard. Often you have reps who are very gracious and helpful. However, I thinks it's the confusion, which has existed for a long time in reservations, that can be daunting.

You have my sympathy Molly.

After nineteen cruises and crossings with Cunard, on eight different ships, we're starting to feel that the hassles of doing business with the company are starting to outweigh the outstanding on-board experience.

We have one booked for February but no plans for anymore after that. As a means of getting across the pond though, it can't be beaten. That's probably the only reason that would bring us back.

Regards, Colin.

Hi Colin. Yes, but what can you do? As others have said, flying is no better in terms of customer service, and certainly does not equal the pleasure of ship travel.

The only advantage of flying, that I can see, is the flexibility and spontanaiety of traveling whenever you like.

Archived