Late flight from Honolulu...what to do?

karfest

Our flight out of Honolulu is at 10:00 pm. We will be off the ship by 10:30 am at the latest. I was planning to rent a car and tour the island- BUT- in reading Hawaii for Dummies and Oahu Revealed, both say not to leave anything valuable in your car--even in your trunk. We will have all our luggage with us, including a laptop and digital camera.

Is it really that unsafe to park your car to visit the sights? Would it be better to pay the big bucks for a ships sponsored tour that terminates at the airport? Or- does anyone know of a hotel that we could rent a room for the day?

Thanks in advance for all your help!! I've been getting lots of great ideas from this board.

we were on the POA nov 6-13 and had the same problem, flight left 10:45 pm. We got a day room at the best western plaza near the airport. They had a day room special when we booked for $69, not sure if they are still doing it or not, but it worked out great for us. 5 of us took the room, took 2 cabs to the hotel from the pier.My husband and i were in one cab and it came to $17. My sister and husband wanted to hang in the room and relax, so my husband and i took the bus, which runs right past the hotel, to the aloha towere marketplace to shop a little and have lunch. Disembarkation was so easy we were off the ship, to the hotel and eating breakfast there by 9 am.

Archived