Taking jewelry onboard

DoniaG

Hi all -

Before I ask a question, I just want to say how much I'm enjoying reading all these messages! I feel like an experienced Princess cruiser - and I've never even seen one of the ships! The information is absolutely fabulous.

My best friend and I (two 50-something women) will be on the Golden in July. We're trying to decide whether to take real jewelry. We feel very comfortable with a safe in the cabin, but wondered about any experiences and/or problems anyone of you has had. (I'm not talking about SERIOUS jewelry, just some nice stuff that we love to wear.)

Thanks, Donia

I have seen a lot of "nice" and even a bit of REAL jewelry. It is like anyother place with 3000 people, don't be foolhardy and you will be fine.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Hi Donia. I have taken all my jewelry on all my cruises. What I have done was alot of work, but it has worked well for me. I have good, very good, and alot of fun stuff, but I love all of it. I got a ton of small ziplocks. I put each piece in a separate one. If a necklace and earrings went together, I put them in one. Then I put them all in a biGGG one. I put that in my carryon. Doesn't leave my side. In the cabin I don't leave it in my safe. I keep it in a bag,with all kinds of stuff. Never been touched in all my cruises. I leave it that way at home too. Easy to find stuff, cause they are see thru. Hope this helps!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Thanks all. Sue, you and I must be kindred spirits because I keep my jewelry pretty much the same way. Why do you not use the safe in your cabin? Nancy, got that getting through the airport stuff down pat from lots of practice! Appreciate the good advice. Donia

I take my good stuff and fun stuff and always use the safe and never have had a problem. I've even been known to leave some out on the counters by accident (foolish me, but sometimes the liquor plays into it) and have never had a problem. Enjoy.

Debbie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Carnival Destiny 2/8/04

Grand Princess 7/6/03

RCL - Nordic Empress 2/03 & 4/02

Crown Dynasty 7/00

Queen of Bermuda 7/87

Carnival - Mardi Gras 11/75

Ridiculous to take any SERIOUS jewelry---look around - mostly we cruise to countries that are so poor compared to us...who are you trying to impress??..for goodness sakes - cruise to SEE not be SEEN!!

For "dress up on the ship - you can wear "travel jewelry" - imitations that you can afford to "lose".

Off the ship - those that wear lots of gold chains, diamond rings, Rolex watches etc. are just asking for trouble when sightseeing.....

Just my opinion - yes, I love jewelry - but leave it home when I travel.

Until Pacific Princess

Islands of the Pacific Theater

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;07;25;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0900

Until Golden Princess Western European Capitals

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;07;31;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Until Golden Princess British Isles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;08;10;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

I have taken some very expensive jewelry on board and have never had anything taken. I have never used the safe. I'm afraid I might forget to open it when it's time to leave. I have some small colored jewelry bags with zippers and I have mixed them in with my "unmentionables." I think the staff who have access to the rooms would be too scared of losing their jobs to take anything. I may be naive, but so far luck has been with me.

Lynda

I guess I look at it differently. I don't wear any jewelry off the ship except for my wedding ring. If I spent good money for fine jewelry I'm going to wear it that's why I bought it, but that's just my opinion.

Debbie

I have always taken my good jewelry, keep it in a box and locked in the safe when not in use. Never ever have I had a problem with it.

Hey, that is why I have it, if I couldn't wear it, then I would not own it to begin with.

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

One Phantom Booking still open with Princess.

"Ridiculous to take any SERIOUS jewelry---look around - mostly we cruise to countries that are so poor compared to us...who are you trying to impress??..for goodness sakes - cruise to SEE not be SEEN!!"

A little strong, don't you think? We are neither "ridiculous" nor inexperienced enough to wear good jewelry off the ship. Like another poster, we have nice jewelry because we enjoy wearing it. But thanks for the input, anyway.

Donia

Toto2Kansas,

I agree with you on that point. I was stressing over taking my jewelry until my husband pointed out that this is why we insure it. It's just stuff and can be replaced.

Judy

Cruisin in July on the Golden Princess

DoniaG -

Didn't mean to antagonize...sorry if I sound harsh.

Thinking mostly of those who are off the ship touring with many gold chains around their neck, large rings etc. while they are in cities/countries and/or places like in "Togo" or "the Masai Mara" or "Rio" or "Casablanca" or the Aboriginal Center in Alice Springs, Australia , or the "Maldives" to name a few where young children were GRATEFUL for notebooks and pens to write with. (Better to hand out than candy, which only "rots" their teeth).

Makes me cringe, and understand why we are known as "Ugly Americans" overseas??? Too much and too loud???

A wedding band, of course - and various pretty colorful beads to match an outfit, does fine for me!!

Why have to worry about little zip lock bags, (or other ways to carry expensive jewelry), when you are on the ship, or in a hotel on Pre and/or Post cruise or putting baggage through security....etc. etc.

I love to travel, we have been to all seven continents and all the seven seas - but I still think it's prudent to travel simply to SEE - not to be SEEN !!!

OK---now you all can "flame" me....

Until Pacific Princess

Islands of the Pacific Theater

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;07;25;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0900

Until Golden Princess Western European Capitals

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;07;31;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Until Golden Princess British Isles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;08;10;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

[This message was edited by GottoCruise on 06-07-04 at 12:01 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ridiculous to take any SERIOUS jewelry---look around - mostly we cruise to countries that are so poor compared to us...who are you trying to impress??.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please don't say I'm being ridiculous because I take some of my fine things and please don't assume we all cruise to the same places. I wear pieces that I enjoy wearing, it's not about impressing anyone.

If I visit a port that might make me a potential target, I leave it back on the ship.

We leave next week for our Baltic cruise. I won't wear my good stuff in St. Petersburg, Russia but I don't think of Sweden, Norway, Finland or Denmark as poor countries.

Sue D Miller - What's the reason you don't use the safe in the room? Do you feel it's more apt to be taken from the safe than from inside your luggage?

Jane

I think most of us who do bring good jewelry on board is because we like it and want to wear it. I don't wear the expensive stuff off the ship. I bring it to wear during dinner and formal nights. It has nothing to do with showing off. Why have the real thing if you can't wear it. I don't purchase good jewelry just to leave it at home.

Lynda

Hubby is a retired cop. I don't put things in the expected places. Just a habit. Also, my better things are gifts from my husband. It makes him happy to see me wear them. icon_smile.gif

Sue

Sue,

My husband also loves to see me wear the jewelry he buys me.

I was just getting a little nervous that perhaps there's been some problems with jewlery left in the room safes.

Enjoy your beautiful things.

Jane

Jane, I have heard no negative info on the safes. But I have read of previous passengers forgeting a piece of jewelry in the safe. There is a little lip in the front that a piece may catch on. I always check the safe as soon as I go in the cabin, so if I ever should find something, I can bring it directly to the pursers desk.

Sue

I read about that "little lip" in the front of the safe also so have started keeping everything in a small jewelers bag in the safe. Can't tell you how many times I've come back to the cabin and found that one of us left the safe unlocked all day and NOTHING has ever been missing. We are extra careful on Port days however. You can't be positive who might be on the ship those days.

Karen

Tell me something, since I'm Canadian and travel to the US does that mean I should not wear jewellery. After all I have to travel there as well. I've been all over the US, including some areas that are not recommended there (Harlem in the late 60's).

The crime report for the US states petty theft is up. Take all precautions nessary. Recommend that you watch yourself in areas you do not know.

I stay at various levels of hotels but I do reserch before I go. Most port cities have a bad area that it is recommend by locals not to go and this is in the US. HOJO in Maimi is not recommend due to some people who stay at that hotel as an example. You also tell visitors not to walk to the Bayside Market Place when dark from certain hotels, why.

I do not wear anything flashy when I go off ship but for formal night I will wear some diamond and tanzinite jewellery and or pearls. What is the fun of dressing up if you can not wear some sparkle.

I keep it in the safe along with money and camera. I have left it out on occasion and nothing has gone astray. Yes, it is in my carry-on for the airports. I include my good watch and take my cheap watch on to the island.

Some of the pieces I wear were bought in the Caribbean to help their economy.

MS Maasdam 6 - 17 Feb 05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;02;5;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until I sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

[This message was edited by CaptData on 06-07-04 at 07:58 AM.]

I think this subject has been covered completely, but I always like to add my 2 cents worth anyway. icon_wink.gif

I bring some jewelry, but only what I think would enhance the outfits I plan to wear onboard. I look like a vagabond when in port, I'm afraid. We like to be active and often have our swimsuit on under some shorts & t-shirt. Obviously, no jewels are needed.

On the first cruise, I brought no real jewelry onboard (I didn't have this board back then) and then was sorry I didn't have some nicer pieces when I saw how other pax were dressed with jewelry. Most of mine is not overly expensive, but sentimental things my DH has given me for anniv, etc. He enjoys seeing me wear it and I love to. I keep it in the safe, but you do have to be careful not to forget a piece due to the darkness and the lip.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

Like the others, I bring some of my good jewelry on cruises, i.e., what I'm going to wear. I don't bring everything. Also, like Sue, I use the little plastic bags that come with the extra buttons when you buy a shirt and tuck my earrings, pendants and the like to keep them separate from the bigger pieces (necklaces.)

Also, I don't wear a lot of good jewelry when I'm cruising in the Caribbean. Like Jane, some of you are assuming that when you cruise, you're only going to poor Caribbean islands. I always wear what is appropriate to the port.

The bottom line is to use common sense.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Makes me cringe, and understand why we are known as "Ugly Americans" overseas??? Too much and too loud??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GottoCruise,

I have to disagree with you there. Yes, I've seen "ugly americans" but I've seen many "ugly other cultures" too.

I've been all around the world and have seen plenty of it. Italians wear tons of gold when they travel - all 18K & 22K. Chinese that can afford to travel have lots of diamonds. My french friends travel to Morocco all the time with their pricey pieces. When I visiting Thailand and Vietnam I left my diamond ring at home and just brought a few very basic pieces with me - wedding band, small gold earrings. But my girlfriend, from Manila, looked ridiculous haggling over the price of a basket while wearing a 2 carat diamond.

My point is, people from MANY cultures travel around with large expensive jewelry. It's not an american thing.

Jane

One other thing.............we have never had problems with leaving stuff in the safe, either. BUT, I HAVE traveled with black velvet bags for jewelry, and have missed them on first inspection of the safe, when packing. I suggest you use something like Sue, that's shiny.........plastic bags, or a light color, so you can see them in the safe. The safe is usually in the closet, and it's kind of dark, and the safe is dark inside, too. icon_smile.gif

I also take things I enjoy wearing, and wear it for dinner, and when 'dressed up'. It probably isn't worth tons monetarily, but it's irreplacible emotionally. We live such a casual life at home, that I rarely wear jewelry, and I never wear it in port. It's a treat to haul it out for a cruise. icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;4;4;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hawaii - On the Island

This is a very interesting topic. I think it all sums up to be - do what you feel comfortable doing.

I often have wondered how people feel comfortable wearing expensive jewelry ashore in some of the countries we have visited when I don't but that is their choice.

Use little plastic bags if that is your choice rather than a padded, zipped, travel jewelry pouch which I prefer. Keep the bags anywhere you feel comfortable but for me the safe is the only way to go.

Leave jewelry home for pre-cruise or post-cruise hotel stays if this is what you prefer I prefer to keep them in a "bra-jewelry bag" on me.

Vary your choices depending on your cruise itinerary. I wear my jewelry every day when at home, have it all insured,love to have it on when dressing for formal occasions, and miss not having it with me if I decide to leave it at home. I make my decisions based on where we will be traveling and also how comfortable my DH is with my choices.

Future cruises:

9/04 Star Princess-Med.x2 Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome

11/04 Dawn Princess-Southern Caribbean

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess-Mexican Riviera

July 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Aug. 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Past cruises:

04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

04 Dawn Princess- Southern Caribbean x2

03 Grand Princess-W.Caribbean

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

03-Tahitian Princess-Tahiti/ Cook Islands