Just got back from the Golden 5 minutes ago

kitty555

One more thing.

Room steward for Aft cabins on Caribe C752 and the other balconies on that side was Arnaldo. He was great. I told him that I had read on these boards how good he was. He was from the Philippines and had 3 kids. One was 2. He showed me a picture of his wife and kids that he carries in his wallet. The crew can purchase their phone cards from the ship so don't buy them one as a tip. Just give them cash if you want to.

Our late seating was in the Canaletto Dining room at table 215. I can't remember the ladies name that was our waiter but we got very good service. Late seating is at 8:30. I wish it had of been at 8.

It's very easy to remember what side of the ship you're on as one side is all blue rugs and the other is red and blue. We were on the red side.

CruiserGreg

I really enjoyed the big balcony and mostly the privacy of this balcony and cabin. No one will walk past your cabin as you are the last one in the corner. You only have one suite next to you that you have to deal with while sitting on the balcony.

It was very quiet and like I said totally private balcony. We didn't ask for the lay down lounge chairs as there was already 2 reclining chairs and 2 regular chairs and a table on the balcony. They were just a little hard so sit on one of your pillows or a few towels. It is so relaxing on this balcony. It was a little noisy in the morning when you docked but that only lasted about 5 or 10 minutes.

For Alaska I would want a side balcony but for this type of cruise it was just fine to always look out the back. If you want to sleep in past 6 am don't forget to close your curtains all the way and your door.

Thank you so much for all the GREAT info you have given all of us!!! I can't tell you how much more excited I am with each detail!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

You're great to take the time, just getting home, to fill us in. icon_smile.gif

One more question. I have been interested in the wine tasting, I had heard about it before. What is the dress for that? Do they take time to explain the wines to you? I really think I will enjoy this, and glad to hear it is on the sea day and not a port day!

Lisa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;27;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Conquest 4/03

Victory 12/03

Golden Princess 4/04 Golden Princess 6/04

cruisinfirst

Maybe you should consider going to your local drug store and renting a wheel chair for your trip. Or using one on the ship. It makes life easier for you. I've had to do the same thing in the past. There are plenty of shore tours to select from that will fit your needs. Wheel chairs are the best way to go if you can get one cheap.

Kitty, do you know if they actually saw whales on the whale/dolphin excursion? I figured that the whales would have headed north by this time of year, but I would be interested in seeing whales more than dolphins.

Thanks, Karen

Golden Princess 6/13/04

Carnival Paradise 2002

Carnival Inspiration 2001

American Hawaii 1996

American Family 1990

Holland America Monarch Sun 1977

learning to fly

The cruise staff was:

Captain: David Calabrese

Staff Captain: Neil Turnbull

Cheif Technical Officer: Letterio Mento

Passenger Services Director: Giancarlo Parodi

Cruise Director: Gavin Chandler

Senior Doctor: Deryck Gowland

The Captain had a good sense of humor. I liked him a lot.

The cruise director was very funny on the morning show. I also enjoyed watching him.

The future cruise sales lady was very nice and knowledgeable. We attended the lecture on future cruise sales with her and they give away a prize to the person who knew the name of the ship that she was talking about in her lecture. So pay attention in the talk. I think it was something about the Royal Princess. She also shows a video of Alaska and Europe.

This is called 'The World of Princess Cruises Presentation'. It is at 1:30 pm in the Vista Lounge, Deck 7 Aft on Monday (At Sea day).

One lucky person will receive a complimentary Princess Gift Pack. I don't know what it was though. The ladies name is Leeanne.

The 1st Art Auction is at 2:00pm in the Explorer's Lounge with Complimentary Champangne and $1000 art raffle on Monday (At Sea)

Here is another tip.

The At Sea day (Monday)go to the Captain's Gala Cocktail Party at 8:15pm

The party is at 5:30 to 6:00pm and 8:00 to 8:30pm in the Artium Decks 5, 6, & 7.

The Captain will make his formal speech at 8:15. If you go around 8:00 you have a good chance to actually meet the captain and get your picture with him with your own camera.

All of the Senior Officers were standing around talking to each other waiting for the Captain to give his speech. I was surprised that no one came up and talked to them. My husband asked someone that walked by if they would take our picture with the captain and staff and they did. The captain and other offiers seemed happy to do it. So... that's my other tip. It is free because you take it with your own camera instead of getting a photo taken by the staff at the Captain Circle Member party.

pengu1n

They said they saw more whales than they did in Alaska the previous year and a lot closer. They also got a good view of the island on this boat tour and a very cool looking Bat Cave from the boat. It had a million bats in it.

They are sperm whale so I guess they are there all the time according to what they told us at dinner. Just ask the tour desck before you sign up to make sure.

I now wish I would have done this tour because I didn't realize that you got to see so many whales and dolphins. They said they had a great time. I think it was their best tour for the week.

The whale and dolphin tour basically took you along side the island just like our scuba boat did so they got to see the same thing.

If you get sea sick on these little boat tours don't forget to bring your sea bands.

wolfsnare

Here is the description from the patter

3:15pm- Princess Grapevine

Wine connoisseurs and wine curios are invited to a wine tasting in the Bernini Dining Room located on Deck 5 Midships.

Come sample selected wines from the renowned cellars of the Golden Princess. Enjoy wine tasting in a casual atmosphere for only 7.50 per person. To avoid lining up for this popular even, why not register at the Grapevine Hospitality Desk, Plaza Deck 5 Lobby, anytime between 10am and 2:00pm

You can dress in shorts and a t-shirt. We purchased our wine tasting on the first day (Sunday) from someone in the Horizon court.

I'm not even a big wine fan but I really enjoy the show that they put on and tasting the 6 wines and eating cheese and crackers. It's something not to miss. The whole dining room is full so sign up early.

They have several people from the dining room explain each wine you sample with some jokes. They stand in the middle of the dining room and speak through a microphone. It really is a fun time and you get to learn a lot about wine.

Again, it is on the only 'At Sea' day MONDAY at 3:15pm.

Thanks for all the info kitty555 - you're the greatest. You mentioned renting a jeep in St. Thomas at Budget. Do you happen to remember the cost - and also the cost of the ferry to take the jeep to St. John. We were thinking of doing this but weren't sure about it. My husband and I stayed in St. Thomas for a week on our honeymoon (22 years ago) and thought about doing this since we may remember our way around. We want to take our daughters to Trunk Bay. Just let me know.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;13;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I'll jump in here for a minute. If you just want to do Trunk Bay, take the Ferry from Red Hook and go to the end of the dock. There are open air "taxis" that will take you to Trunk Bay. It is owned by the National Park Service and there is a cover charge. It was $4pp a few years ago. The taxi folks also sit in the parking lot and will take you back to the dock in Cruz Bay. If you have time before heading back walk over to Woody's for a beer or soda, fun place and only about a 3 minute walk.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Taking a jeep to Trunk Bay, very interesting. I looked on budget.com and they show a jeep wrangler as $151/day. Maybe a cab ride would do just as well.

Golden Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;27;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi Kitty-
Thank you so much for all the wonderful information! This board has been such a great resource- a special thank you to everyone. I am taking my first cruise, which will be on the Golden on July 25- it will be our honeymoon, and it is the same itinerary you sailed. We are very excited!

I have a few questions if you get a chance: do you recall what menus were served each night, ie what night was Italian, carribean, "lobster night", etc.? Also, was there an additional wine tasting? I have read mention of another version that was $25 per person, with I assume fancier wines?
Thanks again for all the info!
becky

cruisinfamilyof4

Question:
Do you happen to remember the cost - and also the cost of the ferry to take the jeep to St. John.

I'm looking at my bill from Budget for the Jeep Wrangler that we rented in St. Thomas.
The rate was 75.95
Insurance (Loss Damage Waiver)- 18.95
Insurange (LRF) - 3.95
.50 cents for something

Total Charge for the day: $99.35

We also put in 10.00 worth of gas when we got finished because we drove a total of 52 miles that day. We drove all over St. John and even a little around St. Thomas when we got back. We took the 2:30 ferry back to St. Thomas.

You do not have to get the 18.95 insurance. I just do because I'm strange and I want to get all the insurance they offer. I don't want to have to worry about any scratches, dings, etc.. that might happen.

The Toll Free Number for this budget in St. Thomas is 1-800-626-4516

Website
[url="http://www.budgetstt.com"]www.budgetstt.com[/url]

The cars are cheaper. I would not get a jeep again in the middle of summer ever again because I like to roll up the windows and have the AC on. Jeeps are cool though if you've never had one.

The rent snorkel gear at this budget. They also rent snorkel gear at Trunk bay for 5.00 for the whole set and chairs for 7.00.

The car ferry from Red Hook in St. Thomas was 35.00 round trip on Saturday. It use to be 25.00 but they raised the price I guess.

It takes exactly 20 to 25 minutes from St. Thomas to St. John on the Car Ferry. They run hourly. The most it will take is 30 minutes.

One good website for information on Ferry schedules is:

[url="http://www.stjohnusvi.com/ferry.html"]http://www.stjohnusvi.com/ferry.html[/url]

You can also take a passenger ferry and rent a car when you get to St. John or just take a taxi tour when you get there as others here have suggested.

Either way you go I would go to St. John for the day. Just make sure you leave the island by 2:30 or 3:00 pm just in case.

That will give you a couple of hours to get back to the ship and feel safe about the time.

St. John to me is just so much prettier than anywhere. I wouldn't want to miss this island and the beaches are more private. I can't say enough about St. John. It is very easy to drive. You only go about 30 miles per hour.

learning to fly

From the Patter

Golden Princess Entertainers

Show Singers:
Kristie Damell
Brian Cross
Denise Hurley
Todd Mitchell

Acrobatic Comedian:
Uber Rossi

Acrobat Duo:
Meeghan Mackenzie & Yara Macaggi

Illusionist:
Gaetano

Comedian:
Sarge

Comedian:
Al Romas

Vocalist:
Peter Fernandez

Comedy-Juggler:
Chuck Gunter

Piano Entertainer:
Brendan Jones

Broadway Musicals are
Words & Music
Lights Camera Action

Thursday Antigua Day is the Smart Casual/Tropical night

This is when the Tropical Island Night Deck Part is from 10pm until late.

rjm11

I don't have a copy of the menus.

But... Lobster night is on Friday night
You also have a selection of Beef Wellington on this night. There were very good selections this night.

Sorry I can't remember all the menus.

They were all very good and there was always something normal on the menu for me.

Like I said earlier my husband had 12 lobster tails on lobster night. We went to personal choice at 5 and to our late seating at 8:30. I don't know how he did it but he saved up all week. We also missed Breakfast and Lunch this day.

There are 2 nights when they have prime rib and it was really good. They also have steak on the always available menu. I just can't see spending the extra 15.00 on the Steak House menu. I heard it was really good but again... they have good steaks and beef in the dining room.

I personally don't like Sabatini's that much but many people do so I would try it at least once on a Princess cruise just to see if you do.

I looked over every Patter for every day and I do not see anything about another Wine Tasting. The only one is on Monday (At Sea day) for 7.50 per person.

I also don't remember hearing about it on this cruise.

It does seem like I've heard something like this about a more expensive wine tasting on another cruise that I've been on in the past but not this one.

The wines they let us try were between 20 and 30 dollars. It seems like they give different wines all different cruises so your wine selection may be totally different.

Meagan,
You beat me to asking her about the entertainment staff. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I definitely need to know if two certain someones are still on that ship! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

*Alicia*

Golden Princess 4/10/04
*best vacation ever!*

To kitty 555, What a tremendous lot of information for everyone, thank you!! Was really thrilled to hear about the eggcrate mattress toppers, and faxed right away. Do they email you about it, or are they just in your cabin when you arrive? Many thanks!!

Caribbean Princess July 3 2004

stoneharborlady

So you called Princess and they gave you the fax number on where to request the information and you put your names, date of sailing, and cabin number right??

If you did this tonight, call them tomorrow to confirm that they received your fax.

You will not get an email or call. You have to call them to confirm that they received your request. If your fax says OK on it there should be no problems. I faxed mine twice just in case.

I can't sleep on those beds without one of these egg crate toppers. They also help to keep the beds together a little. I use the twin doubler as I said earlier that I purchased from skymall.com. That just makes it 100 percent.

When you get to your cabin on the first day the room steward should let you know that they have your request and will put it on your bed that night during turn down service. If the room steward forgets remind him right away.

OK... now do you want to know how crazy I am about comfort???? There are 4 pillows on the bed. 2 on each twin bed. I bring my 4 satin pillow cases with the zipper and put them on the pillows right away as soon as I get in my cabin. You can purchase these satin pillow cases at Wal-Mart. They come in Blue and a yellowish cream color so it will add a little color to your stateroom bed. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The room steward will not take off your nice soft satin pillow cases the whole week.

For me I have long hair that gets tangled easy and these pillow cases feel really good.

Wow Kitty, you are wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and helpful info. I am doing the same itinerary on July 11th. I am a little concerned about the smoke smell because I really hate it. Guess we will avoid those areas.

We signed up for the Pirates of the Caribbean boat in St. Lucia, I think and the 5 star Catarmaran and swim with the sea turtles in Barbados. I get the ports mixed up. Did you hear any feedback on either?

I love lobster and will really enjoy those nights. It sounds like you had a great time. We are taking my 16 year old daughter so I hope there will be other teens her age. Thanks for the tip about the egg crates. I will call tonight.

Pat

I saw the Pirates of the Caribbean boat in St. Lucia when we got on the Sandals boat for our Scuba tour. It looked like a real pirate wooden big ship to me. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.

We met someone that did the 5 star Catarmaran and swim with the sea turtles in Barbados and they enjoyed it a lot. They saw a lot of big sea turtles.

Sounds like you picked 2 good ones.

There was a 17 year old at our table with his parents and he seem to be having a great time.

busypk, the smoke shouldn't bother you if you just stay on the sides of the ship that don't allow smoking near the pool areas.

When I got a piece of pizza which is located outside I sat at the first table near the pizza place and it was a smoking section. The side where they have hot dogs and onion rings was non-smoking.

The Princess Theater doesn't smell like smoke at all and the Explorer's Lounge didn't smell bad of smoke either if you didn't sit right next to someone.

I'm pretty sensitive to it and the only areas that I couldn't take for too long was Wheelhouse and Sky Walkers. I think I'm the extreme case though. I didn't use to be like this.

Also, if you ever need to get a good strong breeze going in your cabin open the door and open your balcony door. The air comes through pretty hard.

Hahahaha.. Alicia... I had to ask! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

and yay for Showboy Brian still being on! hahahahaha.

We still don't know about Stephen and Brian, though! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

-Meagan

Archived