taxi ripoffs in FLL

Brianinidaho

Hate to vent, but be careful of the taxi drivers in FLL. Just got off the caribbean princess yesterday, and had a 6 people and 13 bags. Walked over to a van and said, about how much would it be to the airport.. he said oh, 20-25... but we are metered so whatever that is.

So we go, and the meter said 13.70. Great

He said no, I misunderstood him, we agreed on 25. We were late, had a stressed out wife and kids, so I just paid him and got him out of my face. In hind sight should have called his boss before I opened my wallet!

I am filing a complaint with his company (I called and the answerer knew the driver, but then transferred me to a manager who said they don't have a van or go to the airport), I am also filing a complaint with the taxi board there..

But the best thing I can do for readers is just to tell them to be smarter than I was and pay the meter, not what the driver "agrees" to... I thought I was getting an estimate... I switched tables and said we had an agreement.....

Be smarter than I was... Brian

that is good to know about the 5 passenger. The problem I had was after he said 20-25 then he assured me he had a meter, inferring that would be the rate. That was my problem with the whole thing. Hopefully everyone else behind me will be smarter than I was. LOL

I don't think the taxis are the problem - it is the various van drivers - we were almost ripped off by a van driver at the port going to Hyatt 66 - about a mile - well he stuffed us into his van and took several others to the airport first and then us to the Hyatt - he wanted $35 for the three of us - I told him "NO WAY" - he finally settled for $25 which was still too much - but - he didn't get a penny tip!

Ron

It was the "airport taxi company" with white minivans with orange fenders... 954-888-8888 is the number on the side and back. I don't think it was the company, rather the driver...

I think I am in the wrong business, I need to make my fortune driving a taxi in FLL!

If you have a complaint or a problem with taxicab service, please contact the Taxicab and Limousine Regulatory Section of the Broward County Consumer Affairs Division at: 954-765-5350/Fax 954-5309

or E-mail: consumer@broward.org

Please report this incident and help protect your fellow cruisers. ;)

Never had an issue with taxi drivers in FLL. Quite the opposite.

With respect to the OP, 13 bags, 6 passengers for $25 was fair.

Look at it another way, there were sufficient bags/passengers to fill 2, maybe 3 cars, the fares would be over $25.

2 years ago we took a cab to the airport, 2 people, 2 carry ons, the driver told us it would be $20, I knew it was a rip off, but what else can you do, some people were refusing to pay the rates, and were standing around, I bet eventually they had to pay what the cabbies wanted. Just don't even think of tipping with those rates. crooks

Ok, so I get the impression that the best or perhaps only way to get from the cruise ship terminal to the airport is via taxi? Are they just sitting right there when you get off the ship? I want to make sure we get to the airport ok...

Thanks!

Robin:)

Ok, so I get the impression that the best or perhaps only way to get from the cruise ship terminal to the airport is via taxi? Are they just sitting right there when you get off the ship? I want to make sure we get to the airport ok...

Thanks!

Robin:)

Yes, from Port Everglades to FLL a taxi is your best/easiest bet. It's about a 5 minute cab ride, and when you leave the terminal there will be dozens of cabs lined up and waiting.

The cabs are metered and the price is per taxi. You do not want to take cruise line transportation for such a short distance as it's far more expensive and you'll spend a lot of time sitting around waiting for the busses to fill.

Thanks for all the comments.. obviously there are a ton of people with much more experience than I had here. The best thing I picked up is when you get off the ship and go to the many taxis that are available, just confirm that the driver is going off the meter price. There is no extra charge for extra people (the sticker in the window says that). It is $13-14 for a cab/van to the airport. By the way, thanks for the link to file a complaint. I did, and got immediate response... they are now researching it.

We ended up paying more than we expected for a taxi ride from the port to Amerisuites. It was what was on the meter though, so that's what we owed. I don't understand why the amount of luggage would make a difference in the taxi fare though. :confused: We tip the driver for baggage handling seperately from the fare. We're paying the fare for mileage only. Isn't this normal protocal?

The meter DOES count, you have to be very firm with them! Please let us know how your complaint is resolved.

In addition when using taxis you should also study a map and have some basic knowledge of the area so you're not taken advantage of... This morning I noticed a taxi pick a couple up at Embassy Suites and go west on SE 17th Street, down Fed. Hwy. and enter Port Everglades at the midport entrance where there were lenghty delays due to the security checks. A much shorter/faster/CHEAPER route from Embassy Suites would have been to go east on SE 17th Street a couple of blocks to the northport entrance where there were no entry delays. Many cabbies do NOT take the shortest/quickest/cheapest route in order to run the fare up, don't be afraid to tell them the route you want to take, and if they won't do it, get another cab!

We're going to have to take a taxi from airport to Amerisuites on 17th and maybe also to the port. What is the route the taxi should take, and how much do you think it should cost? Thanks. Seems we all shouldn't have to worry about things like this, but that's unfortunately the world we live in today.

I know, it's ridiculous, but it seems to go on with cabbies everywhere.

From FLL to AmeriSuites exit the airport going north on Federal Hwy. (US 1), and go north on Federal Hwy. to SE 17th Street, turn right on SE 17th Street and go east to SE 10th Avenue, turn right on SE 10th Avenue and AmeriSuites is a block in.

From AmeriSuites to Port Everglades go north to SE 17th Street, turn right and go east on SE 17th Street to the entrance to the port (turn right at the Walgreens).

Neither trip should cost you very much at all, but I'm not too clear on the newly raised rates yet, just make sure they turn the meter on when you leave and pay that rate. It should most likely be somewhere around $15 from FLL to AmeriSuites, and $10-15 from AmeriSuites to Port Everglades depending on which part of the port your ship is in.

I know, it's ridiculous, but it seems to go on with cabbies everywhere.

From FLL to AmeriSuites exit the airport going north on Federal Hwy. (US 1), and go north on Federal Hwy. to SE 17th Street, turn right on SE 17th Street and go east to SE 10th Avenue, turn right on SE 10th Avenue and AmeriSuites is a block in.

From AmeriSuites to Port Everglades go north to SE 17th Street, turn right and go east on SE 17th Street to the entrance to the port (turn right at the Walgreens).

Neither trip should cost you very much at all, but I'm not too clear on the newly raised rates yet, just make sure they turn the meter on when you leave and pay that rate. It should most likely be somewhere around $15 from FLL to AmeriSuites, and $10-15 from AmeriSuites to Port Everglades depending on which part of the port your ship is in.

The fare from Amerisuites to Port Everglades was $8.90. This is the price on the meter, which didn't include tip.

The fare from Amerisuites to Port Everglades was $8.90. This is the price on the meter, which didn't include tip.

The fares to Port Everglades vary quite a bit though as to which part of the port your ship is in. It's a massive facility and is a couple of miles from one end to the other.

Trent...

I have a directions question. We will be taking a taxi from FLL to the Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Beach. What would be the best route as far as taxi fares go? North on Federal Hwy,east on 17th St then north on A1A OR north on Federal Hwy all the way to Sunrise then east to A1A??? Thanks for the help.

Archived