Using OBC to supplement cash deposit

TAD2005

We have a fairly long cruise coming up, and we usually place a cash deposit with the front desk upon boarding instead of a credit card hold. On this long cruise we will have a considerable amount of OBC from HAL and our TA. Does HAL allow one to reduce the cash deposit based on the amount of OBC one has in their account ?

We have a fairly long cruise coming up, and we usually place a cash deposit with the front desk upon boarding instead of a credit card hold. On this long cruise we will have a considerable amount of OBC from HAL and our TA. Does HAL allow one to reduce the cash deposit based on the amount of OBC one has in their account ?

Yes, done it many times. You can also buy OBC in advance by calling ships services so you don't have to deposit any "cash" at all - it is already there.

Yes, done it many times. You can also buy OBC in advance by calling ships services so you don't have to deposit any "cash" at all - it is already there.

Thanks. Most of my OBC is from booking this cruise while onboard with the future cruise consultant. The remainder is from my TA. Can 100% of the OBC, no matter where it comes from, get applied to reduce the cash deposit ?

Thanks also for the tip about pre-purchasing the OBC so no cash is needed to be paid at check-in.

We have taken to buying OBC to avoid giving them a credit card to which they can charge things we never used/did (mini bar, etc.) after we leave the ship. We buy an amount that when added to any "gifted" OBC is sufficient to cover the hold amount. ("Gifted" is used up first.) On the last day, they refund any unused OBC we bought.

On the Eurodam in November 2015, we received a notice that we needed to give them a credit card number anyway. We explained, they insisted, but we never gave a cc#, and, as planned, got back a big chunk of money on the last day.

On the Oosterdam in December 2016, when we went to get our refunds, the person we talked to walked away then came out of the office and waited on someone else - several people in fact. We kept asking about our refunds and were ignored. Finally we got our money at which point they told us they had to get approval to refund our money. Don't know if it was because it was a large (? - only $400) amount or what.

Edited by bcd2010

We have taken to buying OBC to avoid giving them a credit card to which they can charge things we never used/did (mini bar, etc.) after we leave the ship. We buy an amount that when added to any "gifted" OBC is sufficient to cover the hold amount. ("Gifted" is used up first.) On the last day, they refund any unused OBC we bought.

On the Oosterdam in December 2016, when we went to get our refunds, the person we talked to walked away then came out of the office and waited on someone else - several people in fact. We kept asking about our refunds and were ignored. Finally we got our money at which point they told us they had to get approval to refund our money. Don't know if it was because it was a large (? - only $400) amount or what.

Likely the approval process was due to the large amount (a bit unusual I would think) and thus them having to verify that it was all from refundable OBC (not all OBC is refundable in cash).

I do the same thing as BCD2010. Prior to getting to the ship, I have enough OBC between gifted and bought, to cover the hold amount. Most times I am asked for a card at check in, but when I let them know I have enough OBC they let me go. It has been years since I provided a credit card number.

As to getting a refund, for the most part I have had no trouble getting a cash refund. Most times the person at the front desk looks at the refund amount and fills out the paper work, has me sign a receipt and I get the money. On one ship, recently, the attendant called over a supervisor to make sure I had spent all of the "Non Refundable" credit. I had and I had my refund quickly. On the Koningsdam I was told it would be refunded to my card until I reminded them that I hadn't registered a card at which point I was refunded cash. No problems.

Thanks for all of the advice. Buying OBC in advance makes it easy. I always seem to get his with a few mini-bar purchases that I never used. On this long (25 day) cruise, I also have the HSC prepaid. Do they credit my onboard account with the $675 for the 25 days, or do they just do a debit and credit wash each day? Do I actually see the HSC applied to my account, or is it charged and then credited back on a daily basis ?