Computer Use

roberts2005

Nothing free. They have computers for use connected to the internet at $ .75.minute.

They do have a service where you can download your pictures to their computers and edit them, then at the end of the cruise you burn them to a cd. The cost is like $14.95 or something like that.

My point is, I type slow and at 75 cents a minute it can be very expensive to send an email. What I would like to do is do a word document on the public compuer, make a copy on a disc or a floppy and then go to internet and send as an attachment.

Is this pssible?

My point is, I type slow and at 75 cents a minute it can be very expensive to send an email. What I would like to do is do a word document on the public compuer, make a copy on a disc or a floppy and then go to internet and send as an attachment.

Is this pssible?

Not going to work that way, as there no disk drives available to you. But then again, why would you need a floppy??? Do your composition on the same computer from which you intend to send the email.

The only time you're billed is when actually "internet connected", so you can sit and compose in Word or WordPad all you want for free, then copy and paste your message into your webmail once you're actually logged in and being billed.

Now, here is another question: I am thinking of getting a laptop. How does this work on the M class ships? I know there is a fee, but is this fee for unlimited use or what? Can you hook the laptop up to the phone line in your room, or other connection?

Previously, I used the computers only for e mail, @ the 2.00 rate per.but now I want to be able to do IM, and surf.

Now, here is another question: I am thinking of getting a laptop. How does this work on the M class ships? I know there is a fee, but is this fee for unlimited use or what? Can you hook the laptop up to the phone line in your room, or other connection?

Previously, I used the computers only for e mail, @ the 2.00 rate per.but now I want to be able to do IM, and surf.

Readers of this thread should probably visit the site http://www.celebrityatsea.com to review all of the options, including the prices for services.

The approach you take to onboard email is going to vary with your specific needs.

If you have a webmail account, especially if you use the copy/paste approach I mentioned above, you not only beat the per-email price, you don't have to provide everyone with yet another unique email address just for inbound mail for your cruise -- AND you don't have to worry about someone causing you a large expense by sending a ton of email bytes back to you. That said, you do have to check your webmail account now and again to see if you have new inbound mail.

HOWEVER (there's always a however!), if you plan to dial back to your account at work (or for the true technogeek, even at home) and this requires that you run specific VPN softare to do so, be advised that you won't be allowed to load that software onto the internet cafe machines. In such cases, you SHOULD plan to bring along your own notebook with this software loaded so that you can access your email account. If none of that made any sense to you, contact your IT department at work and ask them about it.

If you do bring your own notebook, you'll have the option of either doing the in-room connect thing or Wi-Fi. If you have Wi-Fi on your notebook, it's probably easier to handle it this way rather than shelling out for the in-room connectivity kit -- again, see celebrityatsea.com). The rates for all of these options are listed there, as are the ships' "hot spots". Using your notebook that way runs the same as using the internet cafe machines.

Grace-

It may not be as troublesome as you think. Each guest gets an onboard e-mail address. You can either use your webmail (such as yahoo etc and pay per minute while you type) or you can use your onboard email account and send e-mail at a flat rate of $2.00 per e-mail (up to 100 KB). Remember you will also be charged 2.00 for each e-mail you receive back. You are not charged for the amount of time you are typing and preparing the messages. Another nice feature is when you receive an e-mail you will have a message light on your telephone.

Read further at http://www.celebrityatsea.com/index.aspx?value=5

Grace-

It may not be as troublesome as you think. Each guest gets an onboard e-mail address. You can either use your webmail (such as yahoo etc and pay per minute while you type)...

Given the advice above, why would someone do that for outbound webmail (pay while you type)? Precompose half a dozen or more emails for free, and then, after logging in to your internet webmail account, you can paste them in and have them sent in two minutes ($1.50) or less. Beats the sneakers off a $12.00 bill for that same half dozen via the ship's email service.

Another practical note: the internet cafe machines have no floppy drives, will not permit the installation of one of those USB drive dongles, etc. In short, there's no way for you to add pictures to your emails because there's no way to get your photos on these cafe machines -- they lock 'em down tight (just as well, all things considered). If you really wish to add photos, you'll want to contact the staff in the computer center to set up some time for this on their machines there.

Archived