Pre Dinner Drinks

JerryInIL

Thanks for the information.

We are sailing on Viking in May. I know that wine and beer is included at lunch and dinner. I also heard that you can get a mimosa at breakfast. A couple of questions:

1) I never heard about a "happy hour." Does Viking have this?

2) Is the beer that is included draft/bottle or both?

3) Any beverage included before dinner or after? (Or can you get a glass of wine as you are finishing dinner to enjoy later?)

Finally, can you bring wine on the ship when you board? We are spending 3 days in Prague in advance and would love to bring wine with us to enjoy.

Thanks

Bill

Does Viking have happy hour prices on their River cruises?

No, I don't think so...but maybe someone else can chime in for sure.

1) I never heard about a "happy hour." Does Viking have this?

No, I don't think so, as far as I know, there is no "Happy Hour" pricing, but you can purchase drinks in the lounge, at the bar, before dinner (or almost anytime actually). We didn't notice that pricing varied depending on the time of day.

I can only speak for myself, but we found the drink prices to be reasonable.

You can also purchase Vikings "Silver Spirits Beverage Package"...we did not do that (don't drink enough to justify the cost), so hopefully someone else can comment on how well that worked for them.

Yes, you can take your glass of wine, from dinner and enjoy it in your room (or in the lounge). I often did that myself...the waiters will keep your glass very full during dinner (unless you ask them not to). ;)

Yes, you can purchase wine at any of the ports...and bring it on board. We purchased wine, which we enjoyed in our room. We did sit with a couple one night for dinner, that had purchased wine in the city we were docked, and they wanted to share with the table, and our waiter happily opened and served the wine.

We have been on 4 Viking cruises and have purchased the Silver Spirits package every time. It has worked very well for us. My DH enjoys a beer or two during the day if we are on the ship, we both enjoy a pre-dinner drink or glass of wine, and after dinner drinks (love my evening Baileys). The best thing about the package to us is the ability to choose a different wine every night from the wine list, and ignore the included "house" wines Viking provides. We just returned from the Rhone and the wine list was wonderful, we had some really good wines. For us, the package is definitely worth the price!