Viking Ocean Homelands-Stavanger Norway-Pulpit Rock Boat Tour

60andhappy

Sorry about delay in posting this, am now back home so ........

Aalborg: I didn't go ashore, not feeling brilliant, it was raining cold and generally miserable! My husband did the included walking tour, said it was OK. Quaint but slightly disjointed town, said I hadn't missed much.

Eidfjord: we went to the tourist information office and picked up a map of local walks. The yellow one takes about 90 mins walking, we took 2hrs due to stopping to admire the scenery down the side of a typical Norwegian river, a lake and up in the hills and through farm land, also came across an ancient burial ground. It was a lovely walk. in the afternoon we did the blue walk, about 1hr, easier, flatter round the old part of the village.

I can thoroughly recommend both.

Sorry about delay in posting this, am now back home so ........

Aalborg: I didn't go ashore, not feeling brilliant, it was raining cold and generally miserable! My husband did the included walking tour, said it was OK. Quaint but slightly disjointed town, said I hadn't missed much.

Eidfjord: we went to the tourist information office and picked up a map of local walks. The yellow one takes about 90 mins walking, we took 2hrs due to stopping to admire the scenery down the side of a typical Norwegian river, a lake and up in the hills and through farm land, also came across an ancient burial ground. It was a lovely walk. in the afternoon we did the blue walk, about 1hr, easier, flatter round the old part of the village.

I can thoroughly recommend both.

It sounds nice. I will hate touring in the rain but it sounds like they have more rain than sun! What did you do in Stockholm? Do you recommend anything for us to do or not do? 😮

In Stockholm we got a Stockholm card, not cheap but we reckoned worth it. Did the Hop on Hop Off boat to the Vassa museum, well worth a visit, then completed the boat trip back to starting point. Then picked up the HoHo bus to cover the land side of the city, again worth it. (all of these included in the Stockholm card, which can be bought from the kiosk near the Opera house, where the shuttle bus drops you).

There isn't anything that I would say 'don't do'. The only question mark in my book, surprisingly, is the Hermitage Museum. Yes it s a magnificent building inside and out, but nearly 4 hours of walking round looking at old master paintings and honestly I had nearly lost the will to live, but that is me personally, others thought it fantastic.

In Stockholm we got a Stockholm card, not cheap but we reckoned worth it. Did the Hop on Hop Off boat to the Vassa museum, well worth a visit, then completed the boat trip back to starting point. Then picked up the HoHo bus to cover the land side of the city, again worth it. (all of these included in the Stockholm card, which can be bought from the kiosk near the Opera house, where the shuttle bus drops you).

There isn't anything that I would say 'don't do'. The only question mark in my book, surprisingly, is the Hermitage Museum. Yes it s a magnificent building inside and out, but nearly 4 hours of walking round looking at old master paintings and honestly I had nearly lost the will to live, but that is me personally, others thought it fantastic.

Thank you for the good suggestions! I plan to visit the Vassa Museum. I'm laughing out loud at your Hermitage comment!! Funny! 😅

Whatever you do, DO NOT tour such museums with my wife. Her slow, deliberate, methodical inclusive pace will sap the life-force out of you. If that doesn't kill you, quixotically keeping up with her sprint speed walking will finish you off. God help me.

Old biddy,

We are currently on the Sea heading for Aalborg from Copenhagen. We have been blessed with sunshine and warm temps so far (maybe I just jinxed it). My question for you is - Do you get to enjoy seeing the fjord while entering and exiting Eidjford?

We arrived in the village in Eidefjord at 7am, so I'm afraid we didn't see the sail in! We sailed out at 7pm and if I'm honest neither of us can call the sail out to mind, we would have been eating at that time. I'm assuming your engine problems have been solved.

Old biddy,

We are currently on the Sea heading for Aalborg from Copenhagen. We have been blessed with sunshine and warm temps so far (maybe I just jinxed it). My question for you is - Do you get to enjoy seeing the fjord while entering and exiting Eidjford?

Just checked for Stavanger and today the sunrise is around 5 am and sunset around 10 pm so you should be able to see if you are close to a viewing place at that time. Much better timing than we had on our cruise but like you, we had great weather.

It sounds nice. I will hate touring in the rain but it sounds like they have more rain than sun! What did you do in Stockholm? Do you recommend anything for us to do or not do? 😮

I too recommend the Vasa Museum. On the same island (and all within walking distance) you'll find the Nordic Museum and Skansen, the open air museum. The Nordic museum displays Swedish life so it's different than looking at paintings. If you are looking to purchase Dala horses, the shop at Skansen has a wide selection that are authentic.

Unfortunately, last Friday I cancelled Rodne and booked with Norled. I was just too nervous and didn't want to gamble. Rodne was prompt in crediting my card. Let me know how it goes for you.

Please let us know how was the tour to Pulpit Rock. I booked Norled yesterday for our trip in July. Thank you!