Please help...Junkanoo beach or Cable beach in nassau

miss tea

Any advice on what Beach is better in Nassau. Junkanoo beach or Cable beach? We are going in June and we don't snorkel. Just want to swim some place with soft sand and drinks and food. I know you take a taxi to Junkanoo Beach but how do you get to Cable Beach. If anybody knows of a better Beach let me know. Thanks

Any advice on what Beach is better in Nassau. Junkanoo beach or Cable beach? We are going in June and we don't snorkel. Just want to swim some place with soft sand and drinks and food. I know you take a taxi to Junkanoo Beach but how do you get to Cable Beach. If anybody knows of a better Beach let me know. Thanks

If I REMEMBER CORRECTLY YOU TAKE THE #10a bus to get to Cable Beach. Done it a few times.

Breezes is nice too as Didly said but I think everyone has to be at least 14 years of age.

Bill

Junkanoo is a free beach within reasonable (15-20 minutes) walking distance from the port.

We rented chairs, an umbrella, and bought beers there at very reasonable prices, and we had a very nice time.

Never been to Cable Beach.

Junkanoo beach, a 10 minute walk to the right of the port gates, has the food and drinks you are looking for. BUT no soft sand and the water sometimes gets oily from being so close to where all the ships and boats are the bottom of the water can be hard on feet without water shoes, also if it is a busy day expect litter as people on the beach are expect to cleanup after themselves but few do. Practice saying "No,Thank" with conviction to get the wandering street vendors to move away from your towel quicker.

Cable beach is further down along the channel, your choice of the #10 jitney ($1.75/person each way, exact change only) or taking a taxi ($5/ person plus tip). Availability of food and drink depends on the the nearest resorts offerings to the piece of real estate you pick out on this nearly 4 mile long stretch of beach. The resorts tend to groom the sand near their property and try to get litter out of the channel's waters, so if there is an area less than clean enough for you generally a short walk gets you to a cleaner area.

Another option is to self-reserve one of many of the various resorts' day passes. The most popular one is the British Colonial Hilton, which is within walking distance of the port. It runs about $65 per adult, and for that you get a lounger, towel service, changing/shower areas, access to their pool and poolside entertainment, free use of float mats & other non-motorized water equipment, and a $30 voucher per ticket towards food and drinks. Also there is waiter service that you need not leave your seats.

• Like 1

My son and I took the #10 jitney to Cable Beach - that was easy enough. You don't even have to find a bus stop - they will know you're a tourist and stop to ask if you want to hop on any time they see you. We got off near the Melia and walked to a public beach access area. It was a very small area next to the all inclusives, but it was clean and free and we had the place entirely to ourselves. One local person walked his dogs by us, and a couple of ladies were power walking for exercise at one point. Other than that, we had the area to ourselves for about 2 hours. No chairs, no restrooms, no amenties, but also no vendors or crowds. The beach was clean & we swam for a bit. For just the cost of a $1.25 jitney ride, it was safe and peaceful and easy on the budget. However, next time I think I would try out Junkanoo or maybe an all inclusive.

After our beach time, we took a walking tour of the city as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...