Birth Certificate, Driver's License, and Marriage License?

mmbaldwin

Just off the Pride last week. Baltimore was an extremely lenient port. Compared to Orlando where we went last time. My husband and I only had our passport card and birth certs and my kids only had birth certs. No problems at all

Just off the Pride last week. Baltimore was an extremely lenient port. Compared to Orlando where we went last time. My husband and I only had our passport card and birth certs and my kids only had birth certs. No problems at all

If you had passport cards you didn't need your birth certs. Also kids under 16 only need birth certs.

My daughter had this same question for our upcoming cruise and our pvp said marriage license is not needed unless your name changed after your booking. Which means as long as the name on the booking matches the name on your ID then you will not need a marriage license. Otherwise you will need it to prove the difference. Hope this helps.

My daughter had this same question for our upcoming cruise and our pvp said marriage license is not needed unless your name changed after your booking. Which means as long as the name on the booking matches the name on your ID then you will not need a marriage license. Otherwise you will need it to prove the difference. Hope this helps.

Please no not give this type of guarantee ! It would be horrible to have someone denied boarding because you assured them they did not need a piece of paper so simple to include. You never know when someone will ask for a document that is not often requested. Be very careful....

Please no not give this type of guarantee ! It would be horrible to have someone denied boarding because you assured them they did not need a piece of paper so simple to include. You never know when someone will ask for a document that is not often requested. Be very careful....

I am giving the information that Carnival gave me directly when I contacted Guest Access. I would never make assumptions and then pass that on to another!

I am giving the information that Carnival gave me directly when I contacted Guest Access. I would never make assumptions and then pass that on to another!

Here is the problem with this, the Customer Service Rep give Good & Bad and just plain wrong info all the time. And they aren't the ones At port reviewing your documents. So a telephone call is not going to protect you should you run into an "Officious" jerk having a bad day. So why not be safe rather than be sorry, grab that extra piece of paper! If you have it you likely won't need it, but in my world if you are unprepared and someone will want that stupid document that is still locked up in the safe deposit box.

My advice is that it's better to be safe than to end up being sorry. Also do not take important advice from strangers on the internet.

This is what I have done every single time we cruise (8 times so far) because I have not renewed my passport yet. I still bring my marriage license just in case...but I have never needed it. For the record, my name changed over 5 years ago lol. I'll be getting my new passport next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here is the problem with this, the Customer Service Rep give Good & Bad and just plain wrong info all the time. And they aren't the ones At port reviewing your documents. So a telephone call is not going to protect you should you run into an "Officious" jerk having a bad day. So why not be safe rather than be sorry, grab that extra piece of paper! If you have it you likely won't need it, but in my world if you are unprepared and someone will want that stupid document that is still locked up in the safe deposit box.

My advice is that it's better to be safe than to end up being sorry. Also do not take important advice from strangers on the internet.

Your answer may change if you actually would take the time to read the Carnival documents. Only time you need a marriage license is when you register in your married name but your id is in your maiden name.

Wonder how many multi-timed married ladies are asked for historical evidence for each name change. That would be a heck of a lot of paper to carry around.

Just got back on 5-7-17 from our 7th cruise out of Baltimore. I have always taken my original documents, BC ( with raised seal) marriage license and DL. They want to see why the name on the DL is different from BC and that is why you need the marriage license. They have always checked the progression of my name change. I would rather be safe than sorry, so I don't mind showing my documents, I just don't like having to carry the originals. Had I known I would be cruising so much I would have had a passport....lucky for me, I have been married t the same man for 54 years so I only have 1 marriage license.

Born in the Netherlands: name 1.

Immigrated to US: They americanized the spelling at Ellis Island (yup I'm that old)..name 2.

Became an American citizen and I dropped one of my middle names. Name 3.

Married once: Name 4.

Married twice: Name 5.

Now some people's logic say I need my birth certificate, my immigration papers, my naturalization papers, and two marriage licenses to board a ship. C'mn guys. A little common sense here.

No matter what the cruise line states as acceptable documentation it is the CBP that is requesting the paperwork to re-enter the USA.

SO CONSULT THIS WEBSITE https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise about 4 weeks before departure for the latest info, each and every time you cruise. As sometimes the cruise lines (& I mean any cruise line including Carnival) can have out dated info in their FAQs if a sudden change is put in to effect.

Here's the cut-n-paste as of today 4-17-17:

Documents needed to take a cruise

I'm taking a "Closed Loop" cruise, do I need a passport?

Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," vessels that depart a U.S. port and return to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, and return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise you. As of June 1, 2009 the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires you to travel with a valid passport (including infants).

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth.

Note: The Ehanced Driver's License (EDL) allows you to re-enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. The EDL is only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel.

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalizationissued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security are not considered proof of citizenship.

If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)

HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) provides document requirements for entry into the United States only. You should always check with your cruise line, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting.

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the U.S., the U.S. government does not require you to have a passport for any travel, including air, land or sea travel, however, you are even more likely to be required by your destination country to have one. A Caribbean island that does not require a U.S. Citizen to have a passport may require a U.S. LPR to have one, and a visa as well. An LPR is required to present an I-551 (Green Card) for reentry into the U.S.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or a U.S. LPR, you will need a passport and/or the appropriate documentation based on the status you are seeking in the U.S. for any type of cruise, closed loop or not. If you are traveling under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP), your I-94W (immigration stamp) that you were issued when you first entered the U.S. can be used for reentering the U.S. at the end of your cruise - as long as the cruise ends before your 90 day admission period has expired and you did not travel beyond adjacent islands or contiguous territory, and you were not outside the U.S. for more than 30 days.

If the cruise takes you beyond that 90 day admission period, you will have to apply for a new admission, and you will have to convince the CBP Officer that you were not taking the cruise in an attempt to circumvent the 90 day limit for VWP travelers.

Finally, if you are a citizen of a VWP country, and you are traveling by land to the U.S., you DO NOT have to apply for ESTA. If you are coming to the U.S. by air or sea, you DO have to apply for ESTA and it MUST be approved before boarding the ship. Although, it is not required for entry but an approved ESTA will be required for re-entering the U.S. as a cruise ship passenger. To apply for ESTA, please visit:https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/.

Note: As of September 8, 2010, there is an ESTA application fee required by the Travel Promotion Act 2009. The fee is comprised of two parts:

Processing Charge -- All applicants requesting an electronic travel authorization are charged for the processing of the application. The fee is $4.00.

· Authorization Charge -- If your application is approved and you receive authorization to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program, an additional $10.00 will be charged to your credit card. If your electronic travel authorization is denied, you are only charged for the processing of your application.

CBP is not responsible for any third party fees for the transaction.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

As long as this conversation has been going on, a passport could have been applied for and received.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And interestingly enough a marriage certificate is not required if a married person's name is different between their citizenship document and ID document for an initial passport application.