OBC for Excursions

Jamileau

From the information on this website I had my TA buy OBC to pay for my excursions (due to the exchange at 1.3 for CDN).

She first called Princess and was told that we could do this so she purchased OBC at the 1.3 exchange and said we just had to wait a day for it to post so she could buy the excursions.

Today I go an e-mail stating she contacted Princess again because she still couldn't buy the excursions and was told that you could only use OBC that was from a promotion not purchased OBC to buy excursions.

Does this sound right??

From the information on this website I had my TA buy OBC to pay for my excursions (due to the exchange at 1.3 for CDN).

She first called Princess and was told that we could do this so she purchased OBC at the 1.3 exchange and said we just had to wait a day for it to post so she could buy the excursions.

Today I go an e-mail stating she contacted Princess again because she still couldn't buy the excursions and was told that you could only use OBC that was from a promotion not purchased OBC to buy excursions.

Does this sound right??

Based on the comments I have seen here on CC it seems to vary by cruise on whether the option to use OBC when pre paying excursions is available. I don't think it ever mattered what type of OBC it was.

You can use purchased OBC to buy excursions once you are onboard. Are onboard excursion purchases are charged to your onboard account and all OBC - from any source - are posted to that account.

However, that doesn't quite work if you want to pre-purchase the excursions. To reserve excursions in advance (on cruises that have implemented the requirement to prepay), you can only use OBC that has already posted to your account. This does include veterans and FCD OBC. It does not include shareholder OBC until you send them the shareholder proof within 90 days of sailing. It does not include loyalty OBC.

Also, please look at the list of Onboard Credits for this Booking at the bottom of the Payment & Credits page on your Cruise Personalizer. It clearly states "Please note that purchased and gifted Onboard Credits for this booking will be available onboard even though they are not visible on this list." The fact that purchased OBC is not visible on your Cruise Personalizer before you sail is not new - it has been this way for as long as I remember. However, it did not matter in the past. It does matter now if you want to reserve excursions in advance.

I have had to pay for some excursions partially by credit card after I used up my veterans and FCD OBC even though I will have more than enough shareholder and loyalty OBC to cover the total.

Based on the comments I have seen here on CC it seems to vary by cruise on whether the option to use OBC when pre paying excursions is available. I don't think it ever mattered what type of OBC it was.

It does not vary. For the cruises in the near future where prepayment is optional, you cannot use OBC until you are onboard. For the cruises farther in the future where prepayment is required, you can use all OBC that has posted to your account and that is listed on your Cruise Personalizer.

Thank you for the clarification! It seems because it is purchased OBC it does not show up on the personalizer and therefore can not be used to pre pay for excursions! That makes sense to me! Too bad though because the exchange rate is so much better that way.