Temperatures inside Avalon ships

Marken

We are taking our first river cruise (/avalon Illumination) and I am wondering how the temperatures inside the ships are - eg: is the dining room on the cool or warm side. We usually take ocean cruises and the temps. inside the ships vary greatly - will help greatly with what I pack.

Thanks Marg

Just returned from a Danube trip on the Avalon Expression - temperature in the rooms and common areas was comfortable - room temperature was easily controlled - on sunny hot days you may want to keep the room drapes closed when you're not in the room to keep the room from getting hot. I did notice the rear lounge seemed hot at times - not sure if it was due to the amount of windows and direct sunlight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was our first river cruise as well. We had a great experience. I think that Avalon did a great job and the cruise director was fantastic - we met her during the pre-cruise hotel stay in Prague and she was with us the whole time until the last guest departed the ship in Budapest. We ran into an issue with high water on the Danube due to recent rain. Avalon and the cruise director came up with a back up plan to keep the ship docked in Deggendorf, Germany for 2 days to avoid the one bridge that was a potential issue. The cruise director did a great job explaining the situation - and coming up with options. As a result of the high water - the ship stayed in Deggendorf and the tours of Nurenburg and Regensburg were handled by bus. It was a minor inconvenience and Avalon added a stop in Lintz, Austria and offered some optional tours free of charge to compensate for the inconvenience and the change in plans. My advice is to stay flexible and enjoy the experience - I'm sure you will have a great trip filled with many great memories. Jake

Just off the Luminary in N. Holland. Never had a problem with inside Temps & I can't stand being too hot or too cold! Only tips - bring a light sweater (just in case) & bring euros in small denominations (1€ per day per person for drivers & 2€ per day pp for local guides ). ATM machines produce bills so you'll want to change for the 1 & 2€ coins for daily excursions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bring euros in small denominations (1€ per day per person for drivers & 2€ per day pp for local guides ). ATM machines produce bills so you'll want to change for the 1 & 2€ coins for daily excursions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Just a quick note. If you've prepaid gratuities with Avalon, the tips for local guides and drivers are included. They don't make that clear in your materials, but both times we've cruised with them, the cruise directors have confirmed that those tips are included if you chose to prepay gratuities.

I think that Avalon did a great job and the cruise director was fantastic - we met her during the pre-cruise hotel stay in Prague

Jake40, which hotel did you stay at in Prague? We are doing the same cruise this fall.

Thanks

Hi Don - we stayed at the Intercontinental in Prague www.icprague.com/ The location was great - easy walking distance to the Charles Bridge and Old Town Square. Excellent service, attentive staff, lots of restaurant, shopping and sightseeing options close by.